HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I've been poking around with that switch and so far it seems ok. At least the green light stays on. Does your green light go off when the switch fails? I actually never use that switch because the radio turns itself on and off with the buddy box cable.
That's the trick the DX5e does. The green light is always on, its a different circuit path from the rf. So your light might stay on but the RF is off! Try testing it binded with an airplane.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:
I've been poking around with that switch and so far it seems ok. At least the green light stays on. Does your green light go off when the switch fails? I actually never use that switch because the radio turns itself on and off with the buddy box cable.
Green power light stays on but I lose connection to the glider.

You can see it in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je764AvkRlQ
Spektrum DX5e Dropping Connection - Defective Power Switch (1 min 1 sec)
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Thanks for the info on the DX5e guys. I just tried the receiver test and it seems to work properly. Maybe I'm just not hitting it hard enough. If I turn it off and back on, the connection get's re-established quickly.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
Which switch are you guys referring to ? ( just bought the rtf version -thanks for all of your guidance)
Gizmonovak is offline Find More Posts by Gizmonovak
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:39 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmonovak View Post
Which switch are you guys referring to ? ( just bought the rtf version -thanks for all of your guidance)
We are talking about the main power switch. What makes me wonder is why does the green light stay on when the problem is demonstrated? If it was simply an intermittent switch, that green light should go on and off with the lights on the receiver.

I notice in the video that much of the finger tapping is below the switch, and not right on it. That makes me think that maybe there is nothing wrong with the switch itself, but the problem is somewhere nearby.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:50 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Ah yes...a double pole switch, didn't think of that. Now I see how the green light could stay on even though the radio was actually "off". Anyway, mine seems to work OK and I don't use it all that often.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Radian Spar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNT View Post
Can anyone tell me whether the more substantial main wing support rod for the Radian Pro will fir the Radian? I have understood that this part is not so good.
I have been flying the stock Radian spar for two years. I have made insane dives and spirals with no problem.

As to the soaring mode, there is no load affecting the stock spar...an improvement here is a waste of money and time as attested to by many competition wins with the stock airplane.

There are many posted "improvements" to the Radian set-up and they are valid...however the improvements only benefit the competition flyers, in my opion.

Any airplane can be "tweaked" but at what advantage?

But, getting back to your original question...stiffening the wing spar won't improve perormance.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,380 Posts
How are you guys reinforcing the wing saddle area? My wing flexs a lot in the wing saddle (since my flying buddy likes to do whistling dives and tumbles with the radian) during flight (you can hear it!). Tape, glue? Right now the edges are flattening, afraid that might deepen over time.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
How are you guys reinforcing the wing saddle area? My wing flexs a lot in the wing saddle (since my flying buddy likes to do whistling dives and tumbles with the radian) during flight (you can hear it!). Tape, glue? Right now the edges are flattening, afraid that might deepen over time.
Put a piece of strapping tape over the top of it. And put some down the tail boom while you're at it. I've done loops galore with mine and haven't had any issues at all.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:07 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Yep, I do have a 1/2" fiberglass strapping tape across my wing saddle. Not for flying stress but for touching a wing-tip and cartwheeling when landing.

Haven't done that for awhile as I improved my flying skills but a sure failure in a non-perfect landing. Stiffening the tail boom...not so important, won't break unless you really screw up.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:28 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
I agree that a stiffer wing spar would probably never help anyone win a contest, but it will help with the issue that has just been mentioned...which is wear and tear in the saddle area. The less flex where the two wings join, the less compression of the foam, and the less slop builds up in there. I've done it both ways.

Also the tail boom mods have nothing to do with preventing breakage, but are there to increase the authority of the elevator and rudder. That probably wouldn't make much difference when gently soaring, but it does make a difference when slope soaring and flying in big winds.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:51 AM
New Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Bieldside
Joined Nov 2012
125 Posts
Quote:
Yes it will fit and yes it is stiffer than the Radian spar. Much better than both of those options is a CF rod....Much better.
Thanks. I presume CF stands for carbon fibre?
TomNT is offline Find More Posts by TomNT
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
I ain't afraid of no highs
Spain
Joined Jun 2008
466 Posts
cheese5 do you still use your "modified" Dx5e (from this post)?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=44
Is it still working fine?

I haven't had any issues with my dx5 but after reading aejr report I'm a bit worried i could happen to me.
pilottube is offline Find More Posts by pilottube
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:52 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Guys, don't get paranoid about the DX5e switch. This was a problem that was found and hopefully fixed 18 monts or more ago .... I hope.

Just look at the videos and test yours. If you pass, no problem.

I knew about the issue but forgot about it and never checked. Everything seemed fine but when I dropped out of the sky for no reason I remembered it.

Check it, like the videos. If you have no problem, then go fly and don't worry about it.

I have to contact Horizon and make a decision as to what I am going to do with mine.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr