HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
Agreed that TexasAggie's video is very cool. Song is "Crazy" by Seal.
Thanks JayY...Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:27 PM
hover, glide, fly
Australia
Joined Mar 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Jovanx.... Wow... second death near you in 2 months out in the great wild.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...179868601.html

Stay in town flying your Radian my friend. I know your job takes you into the bush, the mountains and the far north... so take care.

Vortex000111.... can't duplicate the problem here even after clearing my cache.

Alan
Ok must just be me
Vortex000111 is offline Find More Posts by Vortex000111
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:51 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,032 Posts
larger wing?

in order to fly stably, an airplane has to have certain proportions. just enlarging the wing span (or area) means that the proportions of the tail moment and tail area are reduced. a shorter tail moment means less stability. the rad is very stable, in part due to having a long tail moment. and if its tail is reduced, stability suffers even more. sailplanes are already pushed to the limit, so it shouldn't bring good results.
as far as i see, in order to provide enough stability, a horizontal tail (that includes stab and elevator) in a sailplane should not be less than 9%. i haven't seen any sailplane with less than that and still being stable. in particular, a t tail allows for a smaller horizontal tail, as it is clear from the wing wash, but no less than the 9%.
so, enlarging wing and keeping the stability means enlarging all of the above (a new plane).
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:59 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Jovanx.... Wow... second death near you in 2 months out in the great wild.
I have seen thousands of bears during my years of fishing, hiking, driving, working, and kayaking in the bush. There were grizzlies, black, and brown bears. I have had encounters while on foot in the middle of nowhere, and also on my back porch. The closest I came to seeing a spirit bear was while driving along a logging road behind another vehicle of co-workers. We were in radio contact and they called and said there was one heading into the bush, but it had disappeared by the time we rounded the corner.

I spent some time ski touring in the Whiskey Creek/Gull Creek area and it is rough country for sure. It is mind-boggling that the search and rescue guys accidentally found him while on a training mission. I am sure it will provide some peace to the family to finally know what happened.

The links to your pictures work ok for me. I kind of like the idea of having one continuous 4 foot wing spar holding it all together. I guess it could be done by sacrificing only one set of wings and adding a home made piece to each one, retaining the parts that join into the fuselage. Maybe omothimagain will post some pix to show us how he did it.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:21 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I think a double-hulled radian would be an increase in wing loading and a decrease in maneuverability. I have been thinking about extending the wing length for some time, but it would require sacrificing 2 wing sets to the cause. I'm thinking the elevator and rudder could easily handle it. The mod would be based on substituting a 4 foot carbon wing rod for the stock 27.5" rod, which would yield a wingspan increase of 20.5 inches.

It would probably only take a couple of hours to cut and splice the 2 wing sets and be up and flying. Hopefully it would result in a net decrease in the wing loading.
that is about what I did but after some bumpy air and flexing wings I added some extra CF tubes. Now this thing floates forever.... maybe spoilers next...
onothimagain is offline Find More Posts by onothimagain
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onothimagain View Post
that is about what I did but after some bumpy air and flexing wings I added some extra CF tubes. Now this thing floates forever.... maybe spoilers next...
Forever will do. Do you have any pictures or videos?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:23 PM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Last time I was over to a Fresno event I saw a double fuse Radian, that you?
I too had the urge to double fuse. I went with a Dynaflite Wanderer. You can see it here in post #182.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...449304&page=13

Flies really nice and the center wing panel (16") is a great place for the camera mount. Overall weight is around 42 oz w/cam.

Bob
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Last time I was over to a Fresno event I saw a double fuse Radian, that you?
No but I've seen a write up about it. I'm just wanting to see what others may have done to re-enforce wing saddle if they gone to that size wingspan. In rough air things really flex and everything else is strong except that area...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:51 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Forever will do. Do you have any pictures or videos?
yes I have pictures & video. I however have no clue how to take it from my files & post it on this thread. Any pointers???
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:56 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onothimagain View Post
yes I have pictures & video. I however have no clue how to take it from my files & post it on this thread. Any pointers???
If you hit the "Manage Attachments" button, you can upload still pictures. In order to upload videos, you need to create a youtube account and upload the video to there. Once that is done, you can copy the link to your RCGroups post.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
in order to fly stably, an airplane has to have certain proportions. just enlarging the wing span (or area) means that the proportions of the tail moment and tail area are reduced. a shorter tail moment means less stability. the rad is very stable, in part due to having a long tail moment. and if its tail is reduced, stability suffers even more. sailplanes are already pushed to the limit, so it shouldn't bring good results.
as far as i see, in order to provide enough stability, a horizontal tail (that includes stab and elevator) in a sailplane should not be less than 9%. i haven't seen any sailplane with less than that and still being stable. in particular, a t tail allows for a smaller horizontal tail, as it is clear from the wing wash, but no less than the 9%.
so, enlarging wing and keeping the stability means enlarging all of the above (a new plane).
I was concerned about the same thing having modifed other planes but went ahead and did it anyway...flies the same but floats forever
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Quote:
If you hit the "Manage Attachments" button, you can upload still pictures. In order to upload videos, you need to create a youtube account and upload the video to there. Once that is done, you can copy the link to your RCGroups post.
thanks, I will try that
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,074 Posts
Here is a video that has been posted on this forum before, and it shows a young kid hovering a Radian. He says it is all stock except for the 2200 mah battery, but I am not convinced. There is one thing that magicians learn early in their career, and that is the eye is more easily fooled than the ear. Here is the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ggGG-09fOdQ

I totally believe it is hovering and is not a digital trick, however my ear does not believe it is stock. I know the sound of the stock motor and that one sounds more like a Power 10 to me. He is saying it is stock and is openly challenging other people to try it. To be fair, this kid deserves a lot of credit for being able to hover a plane that has no ailerons. That must take some skill for sure.

Why would anybody want to hover a Radian? Like hand-catching, it is a skill that would allow you to fly this plane almost anywhere. You could launch it from your back porch, fly all over town, and then catch it in your back yard. I am curious to hear what other people think. Does this sound like a stock motor to you?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Just like with a lot of 3D planes that use stabilization gyros to perform those vertical hovers, so too, is the guys Radian in the video, equipped with.
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
I can't tell any difference from the motor sounds. I'm guessing he has the battery way aft, maybe he has extra weight in the back. His has no canopy on so his CG must be more aft. I tried hovering with my Radian, didn't work that well....
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5