HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Paul cant help anyone's plane fly any better than the pilot of the aircraft itself. I for one am tired of hearing about Paul Naton. Fly your planes anyway that YOU, feel comfortable with flying them; Modded, Un-modded, just go fly and enjoy!
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,930 Posts
Lol ..

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
It's a flying beer cooler, it is fun to fly, Go fly it. If you want to mod for what you think will give better results, have at it but you don't have to make a obsession out of it.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:15 PM
xjh
Joined Dec 2006
212 Posts
Radian as fpv platform

I do not like the prop in videos so re configured the Radian to a mid engine style. Has 1 hour duration with power on. Only test flown without the camera. Draws 40 amps at full power and even with a 5800 3s battery cruises at 4.4 amps but will climb near vertically. Still thermals well but is muuuuch faster in glide. Wind is no problem. It is as ugly as sin . The fuse was a throw away that a buddy gave me and is more worn than an old shoe, dings, scratches tape every where and all together second hand. Having said that it flies very well. Next week end will install the KK stabiliser and video gear and re post. Hope you like ir, Richard
PS launched motor off
PPS photos Martin Huisman and XJH
xjh is offline Find More Posts by xjh
Last edited by xjh; Oct 28, 2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,365 Posts
Am I the first to ask the obvious? How do you get the signal wires from the front to the back? Hollow drive shaft or? How about some more pictures.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post

Paul cant help anyone's plane fly any better than the pilot of the aircraft itself. I for one am tired of hearing about Paul Naton.

Fly your planes anyway that YOU, feel comfortable with flying them; Modded, Un-modded, just go fly and enjoy!
I do not blame Paul and his friends to keep posting in favor of selling the material he produced and run as a business.

Any airplane still needs lift to fly and the designer provided about 3 degrees of decalage to do so. Just about the best Lift to Drag ratio. If the incidence of both wings and stab are the same (zero decalage) then the wings have an angle of attack as a result of some up trim of the elevator.

Many, if not most, of the Paul's faithfull seem to be very religious people. Is this not what "faith" is all about ?

... ... ...

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
Am I the first to ask the obvious? How do you get the signal wires from the front to the back? Hollow drive shaft or? How about some more pictures.
In a similar question I scutinized the pics trying to find how the fuselage rear section and the feathers are solidly tied, joined to the front part.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
xjh
Thank you over and over for your brilliant post. You have made my day. Not only is the execution brilliant, but the timing of your post is perfect, right in the middle of some anti-mod sentiment. The pictures say it all...
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:19 PM
xjh
Joined Dec 2006
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
In a similar question I scutinized the pics trying to find how the fuselage rear section and the feathers are solidly tied, joined to the front part.

Zor
Hi ,
I will take more photo's and post later, off to see a sick friend, Richard
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Mar 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjh View Post
I do not like the prop in videos so re configured the Radian to a mid engine style. Has 1 hour duration with power on. Only test flown without the camera. Draws 40 amps at full power and even with a 5800 3s battery cruises at 4.4 amps but will climb near vertically. Still thermals well but is muuuuch faster in glide. Wind is no problem. It is as ugly as sin . The fuse was a throw away that a buddy gave me and is more worn than an old shoe, dings, scratches tape every where and all together second hand. Having said that it flies very well. Next week end will install the KK stabiliser and video gear and re post. Hope you like ir, Richard
PS launched motor off
I need to learn more about this plane.
Calla969 is offline Find More Posts by Calla969
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Me flying my Radian off the side of one of the highest mountains in Pa, with about 5 feet of landing area.
Jacks Mountain Sailing With My Radian.wmv (5 min 39 sec)
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:16 AM
xjh
Joined Dec 2006
212 Posts
I know I am new to this forum but I feel that I may be able to add something to the discussion on LD or the relationship between the angle of the main plane and the tail plane. It is true that there has to be a positive angle of incidence between the MP and the TP's camber lines(defined at 1). The pattern fliers have this established rule that the symmetrical main plane and its counterpart, the symmetrical tailplane need to be at an angle of between 1/2 degree and 1 degree wrt the horizontal to ensure a lifting moment on the aircraft. The critical word is SYMMETRICAL as it is the average camber line that defines the angle of attack of the foil and this is at 0deg to the horizontal with a symmetrical foil. If one applies a device such as the DuBro incidence meter to the foil the TRUE average chord line is a straight line from LE toTE with this symmetrical foil.
Let us now consider a non symetrical air foil. The average camber line 1 is the 1/2 the distance between the top surface and the bottom surface. If one plots this wrt the x/y axis you arrive at a curved camber line compared to the symmetrical airfoils straight line. To find the effective angle of this line a series of tangents to the curve at even spacing on the x axis can be drawn and the angle of each line cf the horizontal measured. These angles are then averaged and the result is the "angle of attack " of the foil.
For a deeply cambered foil it can be shown that the angle of the incidence meter and the calculated angle are vastly different. This difference, using the incidence meter tends to the negative wrt to calculated data. That is an incidence meter measured angle may be zero but the effective computed angle is actually positive wrt the horizontal.(One has to account for the leading edge entry point, but this may be moot)
In the case of the Radian with its undecambered non symmetrical airfoil this is most assuredly the case and the true LD will be positive, even when the meter is indicating 0 degrees/0 degrees between the under cambered main plane and the symmetrical tail plane
Last edited by xjh; Oct 28, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,877 Posts
better looks for rad

just got my spinners for the rad from bp hobbies, as suggested by radioact on post 13486/p900:

' Cularis and Easy Glider Pro Spinners 55mm
Just got email that these are now back in stock at
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=E1055866'

the plane looks great! amazing how a small difference in lenght and shape can change the looks of a plane.
thank you, great guy!
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:54 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,877 Posts
credit where it's due

recently i ordered some stuff from heads up r/c. 1 of the items was 2 sets of 11/6 prop blades, that came with the wrong size hole, so i contacted them about it. no claim to refund, just to let them know so they could correct the ad.

then i got a message telling me that they have refunded me with the price of them.

what a difference from other suppliers.

i wish all would do the same.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:39 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,983 Posts
phil alvirez

Speaking of credit where it is due, you deserve some yourself. After 5 days of steady snow, it finally quit and the sun came out this afternoon. I have been looking forward to trying out your rubber-band trick and it worked. Thank you for that simple and elegant solution. It was the first flight of the winter season and all is well.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx