SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 17, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Loose Prop

Guys, thank you very much for the advice. I have been using Blue Loctite and have some damage to the firewall. Also I used loctite on the original motor that has a plastic case. The original bolt holes appeared to have been wallowed out. It may have been the loctite. I will switch to canopy glue.

Any how I am now using a 480 sport motor from Heads Up RC. It is well suited to the Radian.

I especially appreciate the video about grinding a flat spot on the motor shaft. I have all of the tools needed to grind the shaft except for the C clamp remover. So I will make a trip to Harbor Freight to pick up a pair.

Again thank all of you very much for the advice.

Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
I'm thinking of buying this radian to train the beginners at my club. We have a baseball field for flying area, and a soccer field right next to it. Would the radian be able to fly comfortable in that area? I've seen it in flight, seems to fly really slowly. It also seems really stable with all that dihedral built in.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:22 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
I'm thinking of buying this radian to train the beginners at my club. We have a baseball field for flying area, and a soccer field right next to it. Would the radian be able to fly comfortable in that area? I've seen it in flight, seems to fly really slowly. It also seems really stable with all that dihedral built in.
Hi Cheese5, yes the Radian flies great in a soccer field. I do it all the time because it is just across the street from my house. It flies much slower than the Radian Pro and floats forever, and is ideal for flying in small spaces. It is the most stable and relaxing plane in my hangar. It is also very easy to hand-catch on the landing.

I will never forget the story of your SBach that was lost due to radio failure. If ever there were 2 planes that were polar opposites, it is these 2 planes.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Arguably Multiplex and Graupner have better QA and production than HH/PKZ , so even something like the Cularis ( Radian Pro competitior ) can be improved upon. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586457

Nice write up on your Cularis build.
Some great photos aswell..

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Hi Cheese5, yes the Radian flies great in a soccer field. I do it all the time because it is just across the street from my house. It flies much slower than the Radian Pro and floats forever, and is ideal for flying in small spaces. It is the most stable and relaxing plane in my hangar. It is also very easy to hand-catch on the landing.

I will never forget the story of your SBach that was lost due to radio failure. If ever there were 2 planes that were polar opposites, it is these 2 planes.
Thanks, just what I wanted the hear! What's a good size battery for the radian?

I bought a 2nd Sbach to replace the first one. Not going to fly that far away anymore.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Jun 2010
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Thanks, just what I wanted the hear! What's a good size battery for the radian?

I bought a 2nd Sbach to replace the first one. Not going to fly that far away anymore.
I use the stock-sized 1300 3S (Nano Tech from HK) and typically get 60 to 90 minute flights on (nearly) windless days with halfway decent thermal activity. When things are a little breezier I use a 1600 3S which has given me 2 hour flight times. The 1600 adds a little more weight and probably moves the CG forward a tad. My CG is approximately 3.5 inches behind the trailing edge with the 1300mah 3s. I don't do any aerobatics, just lazy flying using the stock motor and prop.

Hope this helps.
Cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,867 Posts
great input

Quote:
Cularis and Easy Glider Pro Spinners 55mm

Just got email that these are now back in stock at

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=E1055866

Note... 4mm shaft required for PKZ motor These are aprox the same weight as the HK and HeadsUpRC aluminium 50mm spinners, but, better match the Radian and Radian Pro cowlling as seen here.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=DBDE7...5DDCB92%211422

Run it with your stock 9.75" PKZ prop and it become 20mm larger in diameter making it about a 10.5" prop.

Check the rest of the images in the image dumpster above for comparisons on yoke dimensions..
thanks again for the terrific data and polite and positive comments.
your links are appreciated, as i have been trying to find alternatives to the original spinner. i already ordered the aluminum 1 from headsup and now this from bp hobbies. the alum may help in case of tail heavy, and the plastic 1, that weighs the same as the original, sure improves the looks.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 17, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:36 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Carbon Tow comment
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:10 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
That's not my build I beg, borrow and steal ideas from all over the place. Sort of cross pollinisation amongst RC platforms. You never know who might come up with a great idea that can be incorporated into your favourite plane or change your average or mediocre plane into something better..
That is so true...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,867 Posts
keeping blades folded

ra: on post 13495 you said that 'and if the prop stops rotating with one blade hanging down, it stays drooping down into the airflow.'
perhaps this may help prevent that: for all my sailplanes (all have folding props) i slip a small rubber band onto the spinner, from the front, until it slides over the prop and holds the blades folded.
the pressure is enough, but not too much as to keep them from opening normally.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
ra: on post 13495 you said that 'and if the prop stops rotating with one blade hanging down, it stays drooping down into the airflow.'
perhaps this may help prevent that: for all my sailplanes (all have folding props) i slip a small rubber band onto the spinner, from the front, until it slides over the prop and holds the blades folded.
the pressure is enough, but not too much as to keep them from opening normally.
Got a photo.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,867 Posts
thermals!

since i got my rad, i have enjoyed it a lot.
but, as i was flying it at dawn, i was unable to get into a thermal.
that is, until now, that i went to the field midmorning and went up high. it was windy, so flew upwind and got into 1, and drifted with it downwind, and flew back to get into another, and another...
what an exhilarating experience!
just trim it to turn and some up trim too, and away she goes.
terrific plane.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
10-4 on that phil. One day when there was no wind I found lift, set it to turn, and sat in a chair and just watched it go up. Bring it back down and do it again and again. Very cool.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften