SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:10 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,890 Posts
great help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
I buy my Graupner CAM props from ICare-RC. They have a 6mm mount. IC also has Aero-naut props which many folks like. Expect to have to enlarge the hole if it is not specified on the suppliers web site. A set of small Dremel bits in Metric and American sizes is real handly and I use them in my fingers to enlarge holes or create new holes in servo and control horns.

HeadsUpRC in Florida has 2" spinners, 8mm yoke, 4mm collett, 3mm screws and they also have a wide selection of props. Their spinner comes with 4 - 1mm washers so the 6mm props can be fitted. Fast delivery via USPS and comparable prices to HK. They have 10 X 6 and 11 X 6 generic props for <$5

HobbyKing has 50mm spinner, 8mm yoke, 2.3mm screws, no washers but comes with 4, 5, and 6 mm colletts. Canadian Tire and Home Depot have small washers in their you-pick'm bins While there look for a few spare center screws M3 X 20. HK also has similarly priced generic props.

Watch for Coreman's posts on the RP thread as he has several props on order and said he would post results.

Over in the RP thread the discussion on props introduced "efficiency" ( larger props with lower pitch ) which I do not care about. 3 WOT on a Turnigy 1300 mAh $10 3S LiPo is good enough for me. I just want near vertical launches for 30 seconds or less and not exceed the ESC rating - 26A on a 40A ESC. I don't cruise around with my Radian and Radian Pro as many folks do. I climb and glide.

Hope this helps... Alan
sure it helps-a lot! thank you great guy. i ask for details because am tired of buying things that don't fit, and i don't like to tinker with these hi speed turning things. i rather buy the right 1. will check all the data. i see that headsup has the 2" spinner and 10 and 11" blades that fit-the hole is 3mm like the spinner, so i better get them there. i guess these props do fine with the stock rad.
regards
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:21 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
112 Posts
New to Radians: Need some help please.

I just got my new one and am in the process of the upgrades. In case Park Zone has not been reading this thread, your builders are still not putting very much glue on the stiffener in the fuse.

I have the PnP but not sure exactly what that means. Do I have to "program" the ESC as is outlined in the paper? Or is it already set up?

I am going to use a DX6i. I have flown DLGs and have some experience with helis. From my readings of different threads I have a choice of the left stick for throttle or using the "gear" channel. The second is my preferred choice. I can guess what to do but I can't connect everything up yet. I have not tried anything but how do you do this? Thanks in advance. John
John63 is offline Find More Posts by John63
Last edited by John63; Oct 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:36 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John63 View Post
I just got my new one and am in the process of the upgrades. In case Park Zone has not been reading this thread, your builders are still not putting very much glue on the stiffener in the fuse.

I have the PnP but not sure exactly what that means. Do I have to "program" the ESC as is outlined in the paper? Or is it already set up?

I am going to use a DX6i. I have flown DLGs and have some experience with heels. From my readings of different threads I have a choice of the left stick for throttle or using the "gear" channel. The second is my preferred choice. I can guess what to do but I can't connect everything up yet. I have not tried anything but how do you do this? Thanks in advance. John
The esc is already programmed. I have my DX6i set up with the throttle on the left stick and the flaps on the gear channel. You could have the flaps on the flap channel if the ailerons are on a Y harness.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John63 View Post

I am going to use a DX6i. I have flown DLGs and have some experience with heels. From my readings of different threads I have a choice of the left stick for throttle or using the "gear" channel. The second is my preferred choice. I can guess what to do but I can't connect everything up yet. I have not tried anything but how do you do this? Thanks in advance. John
Once you connect your ESC, to your Rx, and ten plug your battery in, your ESC will automatically recognize it. The brakes should already be set to the on position, from the factory. As far as. which channel to use for what, that all depends on which slot on the Rx, you plug your throttle into. Other than that, you should be good to go.
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4,890 Posts
how far you want to go

am amazed to see you guys doing all these mods to the stock rad.
the plane was designed to be a relaxed, thermal sailplane. and that was all.
and for that, it excels all the others around. the designers couldn't do better than that. mine flies just great as it comes (just a small bend to the pushrods, that's all), and am happy with it.
but i can't believe all that you do to it, and still survives things that was not designed or intended for.
that shows the flexibility of a good design.

and still some complain about it!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
and for that, it excels all the others around. the designers couldn't do better than that. mine flies just great as it comes (just a small bend to the pushrods, that's all), and am happy with it.
but i can't believe all that you do to it, and still survives things that was not designed or intended for.

Hi Phil; I'm with you.

If it were up to you and me, this thread might be up too page 3. Ya gatta admit though that the folks here are having a great time. Heck, when I'm dead, my one and only Radian will still be ready to fly. Damn!
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Quote:

I agree she is a very well-designed ship, intended for the beginner e-sailplane pilot and casual flier, and she excels at that without any need for modification. Still, that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement if improvement is something to be desired. Most will probably not find that the effort and investment justifies the modest improvement in performance, but for those of us who can't seem to leave well enough alone, the benefit pays huge dividends.

From the standpoint of QA, we have to accept the Radian for what it is... a production foamy. I have been in the hobby long enough to accept the fact that whenever I purchase a model, some inspection will be necessary and anything not up to par will be addressed before I even think about getting her airborne. The control rod connectors have to go... Are all the glued seams secure? Is there any warpage in the tail boom or wings? Is the h-stab and v-stab perpendicular? Any cracks in the firewall? Are the motor screws secure? Do the control rods operate without binding or buckling? Are the control rod supports secure? Is the brake on the ESC set? Do the servos center without chattering? Are the elevator and rudder in line with the h-stab and v-stab respectively? Does the motor draw an acceptable amount of amperage in a static test? Is the CG where it's supposed to be? I know, basic stuff. Doesn't really fall into the category of improvements, but necessary to address if not in order.

That's probably where 90% of all Radian pilots are. For the (dysfunctional ) remaining 10% (myself included), we always seem to want just a little more. We have a pathological need to exceed the design performance envelope. Some examples:

1. High visibility trim scheme. Anyone can see their Radian well enough at 600 feet. When you regularly exceed 1500 feet, you need better contrast against a blue sky to determine orientation.

2. Excessive flex in the tail boom. Not a problem if you're just puttering around in the sky, but stressful maneuvers like spinning her down can create a lag in response time when changing directions or leveling out. Stiffening the boom makes her more responsive to control inputs.

3. Strengthening the wing saddle. Bad things can happen here when the wingtips go up while leveling out at an insane speed.

4. Wing retention. Sooner or later, the fit will get a little sloppy. Some people have a fancy solution, but tape works just fine.

5. Moving the CG back. The Radian comes to you with stability in mind. Great for the casual flier, not so much for thermal hunting. A more rearward CG will allow her to signal lift better without plowing straight through it.

6. The dreaded decalage mod. Moving the CG aft makes the Radian more sensitive to pitch changes. The positive incidence designed into the stock tailplane works fabulously with a forward CG, but can produce porpoising whenever the design speed envelope is exceeded. An aft CG just makes that worse. Zeroing the decalage in conjunction with moving the CG to the rear makes magical things happen.

7. More power. How fast do you want to get to 200 meters?

8. Miscellaneous bells and whistles. This would include completely unnecessary things like spoilers, flaps, provisions for mounting cameras or FPV equipment, etc.

So, I would say I agree with you. There are some common sense things that should be done by everyone, but most of the things the rest of us do to our Radians are just a matter of personal preference. Maybe we suffer from obsessive compulsive tweaking disorder (OCTD). Maybe we can't just leave well enough alone. Whatever the reason, it makes us happy. We enjoy the modest improvement in performance. And that works for us.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:50 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Quote:
...the designers couldn't do better than that. mine flies just great as it comes (just a small bend to the pushrods, that's all)
Of course the designers could have done better than that. Otherwise, it wouldn't need a bend in the pushrods and you wouldn't be thinking of replacing the prop. If they had used CF instead of FG and the right amount of glue, it could have been a much better airplane for an additional 3% in price. Even if you only use the plane for thermal soaring, having it lighter, stiffer, and more responsive has to help.

Thank you, chickenwing, for providing a good summary of things that can be improved, and justification for doing so.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4,890 Posts
it's ok

well, personalizing a plane or making some changes to suit every1's taste is just something that most of us do even without thinking that we are changing anything. and for others, that like to improve (or at least try something with that intention) things to work more to their needs or expectations, again, is something natural, and the rad has lot of room for that.
but as i said, am amazed of the things that some do, and the tasks they put the poor thing through, and still survives the ordeal.

but each 1 to his own, as long as you are enjoying it.
that's the final goal of all of this.

so squezze, add weight, reinforcements, anything, but don't blame the manufacturers if something goes wrong.

i just have a small suggestion, hoping the makers are reading this:
the kit that comes with the spinner has a set of hardware that is well thought.
still, i would add a 1.5mm allen wrench to fix the set screw that holds the hexagonal piece, as some may find hard to get.
enjoy!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,533 Posts
Quote:
... as i said, am amazed of the things that some do, and the tasks they put the poor thing through, and still survives the ordeal.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have not seen any "over the top" mods like outlandish power systems proposed here.

The designers did an outstanding job of designing something that has introduced many people to the joys of gliders/sailplanes. It is perfectly suited to the beginner glider pilot and adequate for the more experienced, but some seek more than that. The majority of the mods that people including me do are along the lines of those recommended by Paul Naton, who knows far more than I do about glider performance. The structural stiffness upgrades make perfect sense, especially after watching in-flight videos of the tail flexing that happens with the stock plane. Upgrading the prop is a big help to those involved in competitions where climb performance is important, and the decalage mod is almost magical. None of those thing does any harm "the poor thing".

The bottom line though is why should anyone care? If you like the plane as it comes out of the box, great. If others want to do things they feel improve the plane that is great too.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Oct 19, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,890 Posts
well, the plane is designed as a thermal plane, and not for aerobatics. some guys fly it to the extreme of flexing the wings way more than a thermal plane is intended for.
if some1 does not see that as going to extremes, i won't argue about it.

so long, and enjoy.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:50 AM
Australia, SA, Munno Para West
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Rhett, I think you just blew a lot of Americans vision of your country. Many think of it as rocks, roos, snakes, and big things along the coast that eat you. Green fields, who would have thunk it. LOL
Raften, the roos are just up on the hills about 5km away.... the snakes are starting to show themselves in those fields and the big biteys on the coast are only 10km away.... I Love Australia ps i live 30km north of Adelaide, in South Australia...

Cheers
Rhett
Rhett Gill is offline Find More Posts by Rhett Gill