HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
The CF spar is heavier than the Radian spar, at 28 grams, and lighter than the RP spar. It is considerably stiffer than the others two. I like the way it flies and the reduced wing flex probably cuts down on the wear and tear in the saddle area.
That depends on where you buy the CF. I got mine from Goodwindsn p/n 020975. The weight is almost identical to the stock Radian spar but it is much stiffer.

http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list....ultrudedcarbon
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:17 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,877 Posts
spar data

ok guys, you lost me. can any1 bring figures on the stock spar for the stock rad and the pro?
i mean, od and id, lenght, weights.
also, if another sources, the weight per inch, cm, and if 1 is stiffer than another.
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:58 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
That depends on where you buy the CF. I got mine from Goodwindsn p/n 020975. The weight is almost identical to the stock Radian spar but it is much stiffer.
I looked at the specs on the Goodwinds rod and they are the same as my CST rod. .375 OD, and .290 ID. The weight as quoted for 32.5 inches is 34.3 grams. Once cut down to size, it should weigh the same as the CST rod, somewhere around 28 or 29 grams. The stock spar weighs 21 grams. This is all speculation on my part, because I don't have a Goodwinds rod to weigh. Do these numbers agree with what you see?

Phil
Obviously, you can't go wrong with either option. It amounts to a weight gain for a Radian and a weight saving for a RP. A thinner-walled tube would be a better choice if you wanted to keep the Radian as light as possible.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:23 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,365 Posts
The difference in weight of those spars is about 1% of the total weight of the Radian so probably not worth sweating over for a substantial increase in stiffness.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:32 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
The difference in weight of those spars is about 1% of the total weight of the Radian so probably not worth sweating over for a substantial increase in stiffness.
+1 for sure. The difference between stock and CF is astounding! As I said to Phil, you can't go wrong.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I looked at the specs on the Goodwinds rod and they are the same as my CST rod. .375 OD, and .290 ID. The weight as quoted for 32.5 inches is 34.3 grams. Once cut down to size, it should weigh the same as the CST rod, somewhere around 28 or 29 grams. The stock spar weighs 21 grams. This is all speculation on my part, because I don't have a Goodwinds rod to weigh. Do these numbers agree with what you see?
The Goodwinds 0.375 pultruded CF spar I have, cut to size, weighs 30 grams.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:14 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
The Goodwinds 0.375 pultruded CF spar I have, cut to size, weighs 30 grams.
Dave is there a cf tube slightly larger that would fit older radians that have been flown many times and is there a way to use a longer spar for more stiffness ?
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:46 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,365 Posts
Goodwinds has a 10mm tube. Check out the site link in Dave's post.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Dave is there a cf tube slightly larger that would fit older radians that have been flown many times and is there a way to use a longer spar for more stiffness ?
I suggest wrapping the spar with tape to get a tighter fit. You would nt have to wrap the entire length; just a couple inches at the ends and center. A layer or two of heat-shrink tubing should work also.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:07 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
FWIW, I lost the original spar from mine and replaced it with a 1/4" wood dowel. I wrapped the center and the ends to make a tight fit and have had no problems with wing flex since. Of course, I fly for fun, so the extra weight isn't a big deal for me. I also use larger batteries for longer thermal seeking ()because I NEED extra time.....)

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:17 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
FWIW, I lost the original spar from mine and replaced it with a 1/4" wood dowel. I wrapped the center and the ends to make a tight fit and have had no problems with wing flex since. Of course, I fly for fun, so the extra weight isn't a big deal for me. I also use larger batteries for longer thermal seeking ()because I NEED extra time.....)

howell
We think alike, carbon fiber, we don't need no stinking carbon fiber
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:31 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
... is there a way to use a longer spar for more stiffness ?
It would have been nice if they made those holes a little deeper. If I could ever figure out a way to do it, I probably would. I don't think the outer parts of the wings flexing is a problem on this plane (unlike with the RP). The only reason I put in a stiffer spar was to make the inner section stiffer, so the wing acts like it is made of one piece instead of two.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:36 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
I got my Radian back in the air after a year and a half layoff (iirc) last weekend, but reading through these threads about all the potential problems with the stock Radian has me worried. I forget exactly what I did, but I'm pretty sure these connectors are spare Multiplex Easy Glider parts. Not sure about the control horns.

How does the integrity of this tail setup look to you?

Also, my prop is a _1. Is that good enough? Do I have to do anything special to ensure the prop hub stays on?
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:55 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,365 Posts
Your controls look fine. Not sure about that prop though. Someone else can comment on that but HH would probably send you a replacement if it's a bad number. I know that my latest is a _1_1.