HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
Doctorfoamy on Youtube
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Sep 2011
176 Posts
Pictures

I thought the thread needed a few in-flight shots on this particular page. Flying high is one of the reasons we all love to fly this glider. This shot shows how high I was flying the radian on this calm day..... the most distant landmarks (other side of the lake) are a good 30 minute drive from where we were flying that day...
and the white roof to the right of the canopy is our local Super Target store and parking lot!

The second shot is me chasing my buddy's Eflight biplane around the local flying field. Chasing other people's airplanes with the Radian is great fun...especially with a HD camera on top. The pictures are screen captures from video I shot. For the actual videos, look up "Doctorfoamy" on Youtube. You will find several videos there, including a night flight with my LCD-lit Radian.
jlkitz is offline Find More Posts by jlkitz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:47 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Nice pics! Will check out your video channel.

Your mates PT-17 is a really nice plane. A nice subject to chase and take some shots.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:42 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
nice pics Dr Foamy- will sub you

this page also needed a video of Radians over a corn maze at Pumpkinville farm in the Iowa heartland... this was a fun flight and a cool place- the owner gave us 8 squash to take home and bake and they wouldn't charge us for admission or the produce- because thier grand kids enjoyed our Radian flights

Pumpkinville - Radian s fly over a Corn Maze (10 min 19 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Question about charging

Is it safe to charge the Radian's batteries with the original charger while the car is running? It is not mentioned in the instructions, but I have heard there could be variations in the current that could affect the batteries and/or the charger... How true is this? Thanks a lot for your advise.
Peruvian is offline Find More Posts by Peruvian
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:11 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
Is it safe to charge the Radian's batteries with the original charger while the car is running? It is not mentioned in the instructions, but I have heard there could be variations in the current that could affect the batteries and/or the charger... How true is this? Thanks a lot for your advise.
I charge mine while driving and while parked at the club field..

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
I would not charge any LiPo inside a car, especially moving. Charging problems are one of the chief causes of LiPo fires and you wouldn't want to deal with that at 60mph. We had a lipo fire upon charge last week at the field, luckily the battery was on the pavement outside the car.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:12 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,029 Posts
I don't see a problem charging the lipo with the engine running. And I too have charged on the way to the field.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
I wouldn't pay for telemetry since experience is free. As most flyers here have stated they can fly around 45min to an hour using 30-45 second climbs in average conditions. This matches my experience. You don't want to pull the pack below 11.2 volts.

As I approach the 45 minute mark I fly lower before climbing so I can judge the power left in the battery. Once I detect a noticeable difference in climb I make that my last flight knowing I have not hurt the battery.

Never felt the need for telemetry on battery usage.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:18 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Control horns are fine. The cheap thumb-screw clevises are the issue at the end of the control rod, not the horns.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foambird View Post
Control horns are fine. The cheap thumb-screw clevises are the issue at the end of the control rod, not the horns.
You said it man. I broke one of them before the maiden flight just by tightening it by hand. Here is my desperate temporary solution that ended up being semi-permanent. One of these days I will put Gold-N-Rods on there.

There is no mechanical adjustment. A few clicks of radio trim are needed to make it work. I feel a lot better about that, than the possibility of losing a plane (or worse, bonking some innocent hiker on the head). As you can see I drilled smaller holes to eliminate the slop of the thin control rods in the big holes. The same thing was done at the other end on the servo control arms. One click of trim now gives noticeable movement.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foambird View Post
I would not charge any LiPo inside a car, especially moving. Charging problems are one of the chief causes of LiPo fires and you wouldn't want to deal with that at 60mph. We had a lipo fire upon charge last week at the field, luckily the battery was on the pavement outside the car.
What charge rate was being used when this fire happened? I believe that charging fires are caused by fast-charging, or by trying to charge a damaged battery.

I charge from the engine battery in my Field Support Vehicle (RV) all the time, but always at a conservative 1C rate. My charger has supply voltage regulation so does not care if the vehicle battery is being charged at the same time, resulting in higher voltage.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,419 Posts
Close Call - Sablizer Problem

Earlier today I was flying in some mild thermals over an area that was across a railroad track and a major Interstate highway that was up a steep slope from my location. I was headed home and had just crossed the highway when the plane suddenly dipped its nose sharply and began a hard spiral to the left. it was coming down fast but I was able to regain enough control to make a crash-landing in some soft sand with no serious crash damage. If it had happened a little earlier and gone down on the other side of the Interstate I would have had a real problem getting to it because of the slope, fencing and heavy traffic.

The problem was cause by a cracked horizontal stabilizer and elevator. No idea what caused the crack but it went all the way across the HS and elevator, leaving the elevator drooped in a nose-down position and cocked to one side. I am making a temporary repair with epoxy and pop-cycle sticks so will be back in the air shortly.

Just one more thing to check for in the pre-flight.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Just one more thing to check for in the pre-flight.
Wow, good on you for at least maintaining some degree of control. I never really thought about it before, but having a plane come down in the middle of heavy traffic could be a disaster. What about the CF strip along the underside of the stab...did it break? Was the elevator hinge stock, or beefed up with a bit of tape?

I have never done any damage to the tail feathers of the Radian or RP while flying or landing, but my record is not so clean while carrying it. I have bashed them going through doorways, in and out of cars, walking along close to fences and bushes, and in one case simply dropping it onto it's tail while trying to hang it from a hook. One time the wind picked it up and flipped it over onto it's back after it had landed, but no damage was done there.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Wow, good on you for at least maintaining some degree of control. I never really thought about it before, but having a plane come down in the middle of heavy traffic could be a disaster. What about the CF strip along the underside of the stab...did it break? Was the elevator hinge stock, or beefed up with a bit of tape?

I have never done any damage to the tail feathers of the Radian or RP while flying or landing, but my record is not so clean while carrying it. I have bashed them going through doorways, in and out of cars, walking along close to fences and bushes, .....
The CF strip did not break, nor did the tape hinges. Thinking back I suspect that the crack was a result of transport damage. It flies fine with the patched tail after adjusting the CG to account for the added weight of the splices.