HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,746 Posts
weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I just got home from 3-1/2 weeks of working in the Arctic, and one of the first things I did was take the Radian out for a spin. On my way home I picked up a couple of batteries in Edmonton. They are Team Great Hobbies 1000 and 1300 mah 50c. They are supposed to charge at 5c once broken in. The 1300 is considerably larger and heavier than the stock Parkzone battery, and the 1000 is just slightly smaller than the stock 1300.

I put the 1000 in and it works great. The Radian will go vertical, even with the version-3 stock prop. This was my first experience flying the Radian with anything other than the stock battery, and it is noticeably more powerful.
can you tell the weights of the 50's 3x1000 and 3x1300?
just to compare.
nanos 3x1000 are 80 and 3x1300 106.
now that you speak about props, which is the best for you on the rad?
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
can you tell the weights of the 50's 3x1000 and 3x1300?
just to compare.
nanos 3x1000 are 80 and 3x1300 106.
now that you speak about props, which is the best for you on the rad?
thanks
Unfortunately I am without a scale right now, as I recently returned it to it's rightful owner. A friend of mine lent me a high-quality triple beam balance years ago that she used to mix pottery glazes. Now she's getting back into it and I have to find another scale.

Here are the weights as quoted on the website. 1300 is 108 grams and the 1000 is 93. I seem to remember the stock Parkzone battery is about 100 grams. The new 1300 is significantly fatter, and I would have to remove some foam to get it in there. Maybe I'll try that one out in the Mustang and just use the 1000 in the Radian. I'm using the 3rd generation stock prop, and have no complaints about it's performance.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:16 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,911 Posts
Jovanx,
I kept my eyes on eBay for a couple weeks and scored an O'haus triple beam balance for $27 shipped. Shipping might be a bit challenging to Oh, Canada (or perhaps there's a Canadian eBay?), but I imagine a few regular searches might score you a diamond for cheap
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:58 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,746 Posts
scale

Quote:
Unfortunately I am without a scale right now, as I recently returned it to it's rightful owner. A friend of mine lent me a high-quality triple beam balance years ago that she used to mix pottery glazes. Now she's getting back into it and I have to find another scale.

Here are the weights as quoted on the website. 1300 is 108 grams and the 1000 is 93. I seem to remember the stock Parkzone battery is about 100 grams. The new 1300 is significantly fatter, and I would have to remove some foam to get it in there. Maybe I'll try that one out in the Mustang and just use the 1000 in the Radian. I'm using the 3rd generation stock prop, and have no complaints about it's performance.
i found at canadian tire an electronic kitchen scale, brand starfrit (funny name), capacity 5 kg and1.0 g accuracy, for some $12, so now i have all that i need. the 1 i had before (still have) is of less capacity, so this 1 serves me better now that am into 2 mt sails.
the 3x1300 fits fine in my rad, but maybe your '50' is larger.
thanks for the data on weights and the props.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,911 Posts
Now that's a deal! I've gotta step my game up...
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,478 Posts
My wife is a potter and has an Ohaus triple-beam balance. It is extremely accurate but fussy. The inexpensive digital postal/kitchen scale that I bought on eBay is plenty accurate and I can use it for thrust testing, which I can't do with the Ohaus.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:10 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Scale Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
i found at canadian tire an electronic kitchen scale, brand starfrit (funny name), capacity 5 kg and1.0 g accuracy, for some $12, so now i have all that i need. the 1 i had before (still have) is of less capacity, so this 1 serves me better now that am into 2 mt sails.
the 3x1300 fits fine in my rad, but maybe your '50' is larger.
thanks for the data on weights and the props.
I was feeling naked without my trusty OHaus triple beam balance, and then I read your post. I rushed down to Canadian Tire and bought a Starfrit for 10 bucks on sale. It's accurate to 1 gram, but for less than 1/10th of the price, it seems like a great scale. Here is a pic of it weighing a 1000 gram silver bar. Pretty close. I have some test weights of 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, and 1 gram. It nailed them all except for the 1 gram weight which showed up as zero grams. It is advertised as being accurate to within one gram. Not bad for 10 bucks.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:26 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
My wife is a potter and has an Ohaus triple-beam balance. It is extremely accurate but fussy. The inexpensive digital postal/kitchen scale that I bought on eBay is plenty accurate and I can use it for thrust testing, which I can't do with the Ohaus.
That triple beam balance was a gem for sure, and I miss it. It was accurate to within 1/10 gram and there was never any doubt about the accuracy because it was a precision mechanical device. The new digital scale is only accurate to 1 gram and when you see the digital readout, you just have to trust it.

How do you use it for thrust-testing? That sounds like fun, and something I have not tried yet.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:21 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,785 Posts
Quote:
That triple beam balance was a gem for sure, and I miss it. It was accurate to within 1/10 gram and there was never any doubt about the accuracy because it was a precision mechanical device. The new digital scale is only accurate to 1 gram and when you see the digital readout, you just have to trust it.

How do you use it for thrust-testing? That sounds like fun, and something I have not tried yet.
Dr Kiwi has a test stand for thrust look in the motor section.
I use digital scales for work and good ones go for about 2k Metler and ohous make them. we calibrate them every 6 months as the Gov. requires it and there good to 1thou of a gram.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,478 Posts
Quote:

I built a motor test stand that simply sits on the scale so that the propeller pushes down on it. The scale has a Tare feature that automatically subtracts the dead weight, so the result is a measure of thrust. There is a safety cage that covers the whole thing to contain loose parts in case of an accident.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:23 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,785 Posts
Quote:
I was feeling naked without my trusty OHaus triple beam balance, and then I read your post. I rushed down to Canadian Tire and bought a Starfrit for 10 bucks on sale. It's accurate to 1 gram, but for less than 1/10th of the price, it seems like a great scale. Here is a pic of it weighing a 1000 gram silver bar. Pretty close. I have some test weights of 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, and 1 gram. It nailed them all except for the 1 gram weight which showed up as zero grams. It is advertised as being accurate to within one gram. Not bad for 10 bucks.
That thing you have on your scale looks like it would fit perfectly in my new plane project for balance.
I would even pay postage and a couple of $ to boot.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
That thing you have on your scale looks like it would fit perfectly in my new plane project for balance.
I would even pay postage and a couple of $ to boot.
It must be a pretty big plane if you need that to balance it. I picked it up last December to do my part in the "crash JP Morgan" campaign. It worked! They sold themselves short on a bunch of silver futures. The point of the campaign was that if everybody in north america bought 1 oz, (30 dollars) they would go down. I couldn't resist an opportunity to play a part in bringing down a corrupt bank, and besides, it is a great test-weight for scale accuracy.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:43 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
I also have the same Starfrit for $9.95 plus tax.
It works very well.
It is good up to 11 lbs and can be set in grams, kilograms, lbs and ounces or all ounces.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:04 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,926 Posts
I finally got around to putting some good hinges on the rudder. While doing that, I noticed that it is possible for the rudder and elevator to interfere with each other. Removal of a small amount of foam fixes it. I remember somebody mentioning this before, but I can't remember where.

I wonder if that might have been the cause of some of the unexplained crashes we have heard about (people being unable to pull out of a dive, for example)? If your rudder and elevator were locked together, it might seem like radio or servo failure.