SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:58 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
I'm still on my original stock Radian (except one set of new props)... Never had an issue with anything. I check the stock connectors each flight and they've never failed. I would guess I have at least several hours of air time without a single failure. I'm not saying there aren't Radians with issues, but a lot of us have had ours for years without issue.
Just carry some spare connectors because at some point the knob will twist off.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:21 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Just carry some spare connectors because at some point the knob will twist off.
Mine twisted off when I was adjusting it before the maiden flight. I just went to tighten it between my finger and thumb and it sheared off. Compared to that, even those 3 tiny screws that hold the firewall seem strong.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
22 Posts
Maybe they used to make them better. My Radian and my son's are almost new. The failures in my son's are way worse than mine. I'm all for a DIY Radian, it's a great Sailplane. My son has 3 other Parkzone planes and I have the T-28. so far, the quality problems are all Radian problems. It's incredibly disheartening to spend almost $100 bucks a couple times a year knowing each time it's due to poor quality. The Radian is awesome with quality connectors, esc, servos, etc. I am progressivly modifying to the Paul Naton Radian, the less Parkzone parts the better. I have never had a failure with my woodies I could attribute to quality, go figure!
give up is offline Find More Posts by give up
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
I've been running the original stock connectors for three years now without an issue. I take it apart and put it in the box for storage, I just make sure I don't tighten too much.
--
Tom
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by give up View Post
Buy the foam from Parkzone, the connectors from the push rod to the control horns have come apart in my hands. Servos fail in flight and you can get quality electronics in place of cheap stuff from the factory. Then when you avoid in flight failure you'll be pleased. Been there done that, trust me buy your own electronics for your Radian foam. One more thing, shop for batteries and get quality for less.

I done now.
I was a first-flight victim of the factory 'thumb tightened" connectors but in three years have never had a servo problem or really, any structural issue. The prop hub needs to be monitored because it can crack and fail being plastic.

The stock Radian flys very, very well. There are many suggested improvements but you need to weigh their importance to how you fly.

Tweaking for maximum performance is not the same thing as increasing reliability.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by give up View Post
It's incredibly disheartening to spend almost $100 bucks a couple times a year knowing each time it's due to poor quality.
What parts are you having to spend $200 a year replacing because of poor QC? I wasn't aware of that many problems.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:46 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
OK -WARNING- this is just comedy ... I am not a nut- well Ok maybe i am - but I am not one of "those" nuts.. just trying to tap in to the UFO Youtubers and give them a little "poke"

Radians Hunt from air for landed or crashed UFO (6 min 23 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:53 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foambird View Post
I was a first-flight victim of the factory 'thumb tightened" connectors but in three years have never had a servo problem or really, any structural issue. The prop hub needs to be monitored because it can crack and fail being plastic.

The stock Radian flys very, very well. There are many suggested improvements but you need to weigh their importance to how you fly.

Tweaking for maximum performance is not the same thing as increasing reliability.
While i say this is my second Radian- it is really my 3rd- first Radian lasted only half a flight because it never came down- the maiden was going so well that I decided to join a hawk over the field at 7 or 800 ft.. That is when the elevator connector fail or the servo or something as I found I had no elevator control and was in a thermal- I was too new to think of spinning it in until it was almost out of sight- when and where it came down I don't know as we never found it- I ran and bought another one the next day- and changed the connectors- and I always will now....
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Jun 2010
713 Posts
The Radian control horns are mde of a brittle plastic and will break very easily if drilled for the Dubro connector. Here is one that broke on my second flight. Fortunately I found it. The next flight would have been my last.
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Last edited by cliffkot; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Jun 2010
713 Posts
Here is a better shot of the broken control arm and my fix with a new Great Planes nylon arm. I moved the new arm to a better position and reinforced the elevator with thin plywood.

I lost my first Radian to a broken control arm but didn't realized it until I saw this after the second flight on my replacement bird. I would have lost two of them because of crappy hardware. A better solution than the Dubro hub is a clevis. It would bring the push rod into better alignment. I plan to do that for next season.

Cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:39 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
OK -WARNING- this is just comedy ... I am not a nut- well Ok maybe i am - but I am not one of "those" nuts.. just trying to tap in to the UFO Youtubers and give them a little "poke"
More people need to retire, buy radians, and make videos. You two are hilarious
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
badbad plane?

perhaps because before i had 2 (still have, and fly them) 2 meters sailpanes that were a handful, and then i got a rad, i see things under another perspective.
or maybe, as i said before, am the luckiest fellow in the planet.
but my rad has been just great. it was until now that i faced a problem: when launching, the prop flew away and the plane fell. i saw where the prop/spinner fell and picked it up. i noticed a small nut loose inside. when i came home i removed the 2 screws that hold the spinner in place, lifted the spinner and installed and tightened up the nut and the screws and it is again ready to fly. so from now on, i will add this to my check list. that's all.
am i complaining? of course not! besides this, the plane has been just wonderful.
so a small incident like this means nothing. things get loose now and then. in any plane. but nothing else has been wrong. nothing. maybe after all this time the makers solved the problems that some have faced-as it happens with all new products-just look at the cars recalls! but, brittle horns? loose wings? whatelse?
no crashes, great landings-the club has a small runway that looks more like an aircraft carrier deck (small), so it's great for practicing close landings-without crashing. hunting for thermals at dawn, when i fly, is quite a challenge, but am beginning to get the feeling and stretching the times a little bit every flight.
couldn't be happier. lucky? maybe.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:03 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
speaking of horns...

Alan, now that you are providing details of your way to relieve stress to the horns, i must say that the only functional thing i have done to the rad is that i bent the pushrods so there is no stress; the 1 to the rudder just to an angle so it does not force the horn and runs smooth into the sleeve, and for the 1 to the elevator i did a 'z' bend. both run as smooth as it can be.
i didn't mention this before for it seemed to me an obvious thing to do, but, as i see that it is not done regularly and is a big issue, better say it now, in case it is of some help.
it is the only mod that i think the rad needs, and it is an easy 1.
regards
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Sep 17, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:05 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
More people need to retire, buy radians, and make videos. You two are hilarious
Josh
It's all Scotts fault I tell ya he sees people and sometimes it scares me
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1