HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:41 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
My DX6i is a fantastic and praiseworthy radio, but Iím a little limited in what I can do with the flaps. Just not enough mixes to do full flaps with elevator compensation and a camber setting. I elected to add camber with the flaps switch. When employed, both flaps drop just a few millimeters. The effect is mind-boggling. My already floaty Radian behaves like itís filled with helium with the additional camber...

Disclaimer: Your stock Radian needs NONE of the above improvements to give you an immensely satisfying RC experience. I did it because I canít resist the urge to leave well enough alone. And because I wanted to. And that works for me.
Good show! I haven't added flaps to the Radian yet because I also have a Radian Pro. On the RP, the DX6i will do flaps with elevator compensation and camber as well. The camber is full-span, moving both the flaps and ailerons down a few mm. Are you also using your flaps as ailerons? Also, a thick-walled CF rod is even more satisfying than the spar from the Radian Pro.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:29 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Good show! I haven't added flaps to the Radian yet because I also have a Radian Pro. On the RP, the DX6i will do flaps with elevator compensation and camber as well. The camber is full-span, moving both the flaps and ailerons down a few mm. Are you also using your flaps as ailerons? Also, a thick-walled CF rod is even more satisfying than the spar from the Radian Pro.
The problem is that I am trying to use 2 flap servos installed mirror-image on separate channels and mix them together. I could have installed them with one servo pocket reversed and y-harnessed them together or use them as installed with a reversing "y", but I was trying to avoid doing either. I didn't bevel the top edge of the flaps, so I'm not able to use them as ailerons yet. That's still a possibility. I think what I really need (to justify ) is a more advanced radio. Maybe a DX8? An Aurora 9? Christmas is coming!
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:24 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
I think what I really need (to justify ) is a more advanced radio. Maybe a DX8? An Aurora 9? Christmas is coming!
I definitely wouldn't want to talk you out of a new radio, but you will find a good reason anyway (just like I will). It should work anyway. The RP has the flaps installed parallel and on a Y harness, but the ailerons are mirrored and on separate channels. (right on aileron channel and left on aux1). When you do that and set the wing type to Dualaile, that function is hijacked by the flap switch. That is what causes the confusion, because it forces you to put the flaps on the gear switch.

With the Radian, since there are no flaps, you should be able to get the dual ailerons to do what you want (camber or reflex but probably not both) and still have a mix left over for elevator compensation when you use them as flaps.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:01 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Never had a problem with QC after they upgraded the control linkages.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,675 Posts
FWIW.

Consider a Turnigy/Eurgle/FlySky/Imax 9 channel rather than a Spektrum. It has all the features one could want, with no horror stories about "brownouts", at a lower cost.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
To get my Futaba 7 channel Rx to fit in the Radian we used a soldering iron to enlarge the spot and put the Rx in upside down. Works. Used a velcro patch. Put the antenae on the outside taped to the sides of the Radian. Last night I put 14 inch by 8 inch black stripes on the bottom of each side of the wing. A lot easier to see far away. No really good thermals this week, but made it more of a challenge to stay up without using the power.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:35 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
how long?

as am new to the rad, i have this question to all of you guys who have been using it for some time:
how do you know how long you can stay up there without risking loosing signal due to an exhausted battery?
that is, without telemetry?
i just had several flights with same pack, with about 45 sec climbs and 5 minutes glides, when at the last launch i noticed that it took full throttle to start a moderate climb (nothing compared to previous flights), so i stopped the motor and landed.
at home i checked the pack and learned that it showed just 6% charge left (10.48v)!
1 cell had 3.0v, the others 3.6, so the charger (an fma cellpro) began leveling the low cell them proceeded to charge all on 'low restore' mode.
so, supposing you check voltage after each flight, how do you know what figure (v) tells that it is time to recharge-or replace the pack?
even with telemetry, you still need to know when (at what voltage) you have to come down-or else!
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:34 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
It really depends on how much you have used your motor. I have stayed up in good thermals for close to an hour with one powered climb. Could have stayed longer with thermal help but my neck gave out. There is also the danger of falling asleep on a warm afternoon when just floating around.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:57 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
I have managed a 43 minute flight that only used about 2 minutes of battery. Depends on the conditions and how much you use the motor to climb back to high altitudes. My dx8 does show how much battery time or engine run time I have had. This helps a lot.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
still, how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
It really depends on how much you have used your motor. I have stayed up in good thermals for close to an hour with one powered climb. Could have stayed longer with thermal help but my neck gave out. There is also the danger of falling asleep on a warm afternoon when just floating around.
thanks for your comment. but the question remains: how much you have left? how can you keep flying without knowing it? it already happened to me with another plane that it felt because the pack was exhausted, that's why my concern.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,030 Posts
how much left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWilson View Post
I have managed a 43 minute flight that only used about 2 minutes of battery. Depends on the conditions and how much you use the motor to climb back to high altitudes. My dx8 does show how much battery time or engine run time I have had. This helps a lot.
yeah, but it does not tell you the volts still available, right?
which is what i would like to know.

it's great to be able to make a flight like the 1 you say, but that leaves us still in the dark.
thanks for your comment anyway.
problem with this type of planes is that using larger packs, if they fit, is that they not only affect the performance but also the balance.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:13 AM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
yeah, but it does not tell you the volts still available, right?
which is what i would like to know.

it's great to be able to make a flight like the 1 you say, but that leaves us still in the dark.
thanks for your comment anyway.
problem with this type of planes is that using larger packs, if they fit, is that they not only affect the performance but also the balance.
I use this device http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10343. It has always worked and never given me any problems or created any type of conflict with other radio gear. It provides live feedback and has programable alarms. I always land once the alarm sounds for any cell hitting my chosen alarm voltage. My batteries always come down at a storage level of between 3.7 and 3.8 this way. I use the flexible antenna http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10896 most of the time and between it and the stock antenna, have never had a problem finding a way to fit it in my planes. IMO the weight is negligible, considering the benefits. There is an add on module http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11251 that will also monitor temp and amps. I have it but almost never use it. In applications where space is just too tight, I manage to find a way to put this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18588 in somewhere and fly close enough to be abe to hear the alarm go off at my chosen preset voltage. I have never had an emergency situation due to a battery problem since using these devices. Its cheap (and yes cheaply made), but it works perfectly for me. I have one on each of my radios and have 2 TX units to move between planes. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,547 Posts
Short of telemetry here is no way to know how much charge is left but as you gain experience you should develop a reliable feel for it. One thing that helps me is the thing that clued you - give the plane a shot of WOT and observe how it reacts.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Sep 07, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:31 PM.