SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radian Stubby 2.0

Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 17, 2013 at 08:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:06 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Why don' you start a topic about that jewel instead of trashing this one?
Super Sky surfer THREAD-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706026

AND DIDN'T KNOW i TRASHED THIS THREAD- I love the radian- just trying to let my friends know what i AM DOING- SORRY GOHMER

FOLLOW THIS THREAD FOR MORE NEWS ON THE GIANT PLANE...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
[QUOTE=Radio.Active;22576222]I'm posting all my future mods over in the Radian Mod thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22576076

However, I found a change in gluing method on the newest Radian fuselageI I received and an easy way to set decalage to zero without modifying the HStab saddle. See on going comments.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=67

The purpose of the Radian Stubby 2.0 is to fly 3.5" CG and zero decalage without adding tail weight. Stubby 1.0 was proof of concept done on an old crashed and repaired fuse. Stubby 2.0 is a virgin that will get sacrificed

OH MAN-- sigh- why is there a radian mod thread too?- so confusing- so many threads and so little time-
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:11 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Back in May there was some whining here so skyhawk newbie was good enough to start that thread so we could get out of the way. There is enough problem for newbees to search this monster thread so there is a lot of repeat questions followed by repeat answers. That is great for them. Lack of much new info, most folks flying stock, lots of new users and a thread can get kinda stale for old timers. I won't even go near the annual EasyStar thread that is 1 year of discussion repeated 5 times and in about 4 months will start for the 6th time.

Anyway, just for our resident theatre critic Gohmer, I have another boring video taken yesterday. Its only 30 seconds so I ran it slo-mo to get it to 2 minutes. Its from n 808 #16 with narrow FOV Note the straight horizon wherever it appears in the frame compared to GoPro and HK Wing Cam users But it made the birds go across frame too fast and for a short duration. Kinda of hard to show thermalling with them with that FOV

https://vimeo.com/48411565
Nice video RadioActive It;s always a pluse to have some friends that fly wiyh ya.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
After 1 1/2 years I finally built my Radian and took it for a maiden flight. I got side tracked with flying 3D with my Flash and Extra Slick from Twisted Hobbies. Decades ago I flew a few balsa 2 meter to 154 inch gliders that I launched with an electric winch. In the last few years I flew a Slow Stick and used that as a powered glider. I had put ailerons on it. After six years my Slow Stick died. I got the Radian and Radian Pro to continue catching thermals. Today there was little wind or turbulance so a nice day for a maiden flight, but no clouds and only light thermal activity. The Radian is stocK except for a DuBro connector to replace the one I broke tightening. Very nice flying glider. It has a better glide ratio than I had hoped. Caught a couple thermals multiple times. They stayed in roughly the same place above the heated area. After a while the bubble would drift down wind and I would find in a little bit a replacement thermal had developed. Even on the next flight the same two places generated thermals that stayed there for 10 minutes then drift on and later I found returning to the original spot another thermal. The first landing I thought the Radian would go on forever. Landed a couple hundred feet away. The second landing I landed 25 feet directly in front of myself.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
way to go e-gull welcome to the thread and some good Radian company
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Eckace and I are heading to a great air show for the weekend- we have VIP tickets on the flight line with unlimited beer!!

since there is no "thunderbirds " thread, subscribe to our you tube channel for theses videos and more flight stuff- we always try to entertain

http://www.youtube.com/user/sdearinger?feature=mhee
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
just witness a plane go down at the air show- so sad...got it on video-

L-39 Quad Cities Air show Fatal Crash Sept 1st, 2012 (2 min 16 sec)
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:07 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Hope they survived
:-(
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:30 PM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Scott, thank you for sharing this video. It demonstrates just how easy it is to have serious accident when flying, especially in poor conditions..
My sympathy goes to the family, friends and colleagues of those who lost their lives.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,999 Posts
Ditto. How sad... :-(
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:15 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
Scott and myself also went sunday to the air show and after seeing what happend sat we both got very nervous everytime we watched a plane go into a dive.

The Thunderbirds and the f-18 were great along with the Redbull team.
We are now Airshow junkies.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:30 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
I have finished most of the major construction on Radian 4. I reused all of the electronics from Radian 3 (Himax HC3510-1100 motor, Eflite 30A Pro ESC, 2x Hitec HS-81 servos, Spektrum AR6200 receiver). I also reused my BB aluminum spinner 50/4/8 and Graupner CAM 10 x 6 folding prop. I reinforced the canopy area to resist compression from bumping the nose. I added a small diameter CF rod to the top and bottom of the aft fuse and one through the vertical stab. I installed Sullivan Gold-N-Rods and moved the elevator control horn inboard. Now, both rods have pretty much a straight run. I replaced the stock elevator control horn with a Dubro 1/2A and cut it down so it doesnít bump the rudder. The fuse is very rigid and straight. To my delight, the stock decalage angle of the h-stab saddle of my new fuse was nearly zero, so I didnít adjust it. On the wings, I added a 1Ē x 13/32Ē nylon washer recessed into the spar insertion hole to resist compression and deformation in that area. I also replaced the stock spar with the Radian Pro spar (same diameter, thicker wall) to cut down on wing flex. I added 1.75Ē x 18Ē flaps. The outboard end gets a little into the curve of the wing, but not enough to cause problems. I used 2x Hitec HS-55 servos with a very low profile connection to the flap control horns (also cut down Dubro 1/2Aís). With a 7g weight in the tail, she balances at 3.50Ē from the LE.

I took her out for a glide test this weekend and once she was trimmed and balanced properly, she performed beautifully. From a light, level toss, she would glide hands-off 50-60 yards straight and true. My DX6i is a fantastic and praiseworthy radio, but Iím a little limited in what I can do with the flaps. Just not enough mixes to do full flaps with elevator compensation and a camber setting. I elected to add camber with the flaps switch. When employed, both flaps drop just a few millimeters. The effect is mind-boggling. My already floaty Radian behaves like itís filled with helium with the additional camber. The same light, level hand toss had me running out of real estate before I ran out of altitude. I had to force the nose down to land her. It will be interesting to see how any of that translates to thermal performance. Iíll be finishing up construction soon and adding her war paint. Maybe I can post some pictures or a short video later.

Disclaimer: Your stock Radian needs NONE of the above improvements to give you an immensely satisfying RC experience. I did it because I canít resist the urge to leave well enough alone. And because I wanted to. And that works for me.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
I just wanted to send out a big shout out to the folks at the Soar Utah and Intermountain Silent Flyers. I was able to get about an hour of flight time in with my Radian. I really had a great time and think that slopping is going to be a larger part of my flying time!!!!
Dasher25 is offline Find More Posts by Dasher25