Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:31 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Agreed, the magnets are probably the best way. One of these days I will probably do that on both the Radian and the Pro. The tape is a temporary but effective solution that only takes 5 minutes to do. How hard do you have to pull to get them apart? The appeal of the tape or velcro solution is that there is no need to pull hard and make thumb-dents in the wings.
I have tried both magnets and velcro and velcro for me anyway works much better.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:53 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I have tried both magnets and velcro and velcro for me anyway works much better.
Thanks for that info. Although the magnets might be the most elegant solution, having some velcro or strong tape across there has got to be stronger. If you used magnets with the same holding power as that, it would probably take 2 people to pull the wings apart.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:14 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,337 Posts
It's nice to have something that holds well but will give up without doing more serious damage when there is a quick stress event - like hitting a wingtip. Of course no one here does anything like that
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:26 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
692 Posts
Crunch Report: So my GF was doing fine in her first couple of flights with the Radian (her first experience with an R/C model). The ship was not super-well behaved, since the CG is still too far forward and the decalage is stock (time to do Naton's mods)... I'd been only having her fly it as an unpowered glider; but she decided to get tricky and add full power just before landing, to do a "go-around". The plane, of course, pitched up then torque-rolled and wound up diving at quite some speed - all before I could grab the radio back (yes, yes, I should have had a second Tx and a trainer-cord, I know...). The "crunch" was quite audible, and several pieces went flying in different directions.

A post-morten exam shows that the engine's in one piece (probably OK) and all of the electronics are good (excepting the LiPo, which got squished but thankfully didn't become a smoking mass). However, the prop & spinner are toast, and the entire forward section of the fuse snapped off and the canopy is in many pieces. I think I can repair the foam with some Gorilla Glue, and some PETG (a Coke bottle) could be used for a replacement canopy. But what would you all recommend for the prop & spinner? Are they "stock" parts I'd be likely to find in a local hobby shop; or does the Radian use an oddball size or system that is mail-order-only?

Thanks!

--Noel
NWade is offline Find More Posts by NWade
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:55 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWade View Post
Crunch Report: So my GF was doing fine in her first couple of flights with the Radian (her first experience with an R/C model). The ship was not super-well behaved, since the CG is still too far forward and the decalage is stock (time to do Naton's mods)... I'd been only having her fly it as an unpowered glider; but she decided to get tricky and add full power just before landing, to do a "go-around". The plane, of course, pitched up then torque-rolled and wound up diving at quite some speed - all before I could grab the radio back (yes, yes, I should have had a second Tx and a trainer-cord, I know...). The "crunch" was quite audible, and several pieces went flying in different directions.

A post-morten exam shows that the engine's in one piece (probably OK) and all of the electronics are good (excepting the LiPo, which got squished but thankfully didn't become a smoking mass). However, the prop & spinner are toast, and the entire forward section of the fuse snapped off and the canopy is in many pieces. I think I can repair the foam with some Gorilla Glue, and some PETG (a Coke bottle) could be used for a replacement canopy. But what would you all recommend for the prop & spinner? Are they "stock" parts I'd be likely to find in a local hobby shop; or does the Radian use an oddball size or system that is mail-order-only?

Thanks!

--Noel
my LHS carries a radian spinner and prop- but yours may not-
every thing you need is on this page my friend...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/x-PKZ1018
except the guerrilla glue
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:03 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha View Post
Want to see something funny? Take a look at my simplicity, one day out flying my Radian...http://youtu.be/CD3-TGoV-vM
Dont take this as being mean-because that is not my intent- but- most of us would rather watch a 5 minute movie instead of 15 minutes- you will actually get more views if you edit these a bit- I did watch but confess i kept skipping forward until i found the pole impact- if it were only 4 or 5 minutes I would have watched the whole thing- just saying and trying to help- windows movie maker works fine for me- i always try to get down to 4 to 6 minutes- cheers....
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Dont take this as being mean-because that is not my intent- but- most of us would rather watch a 5 minute movie instead of 15 minutes- you will actually get more views if you edit these a bit- I did watch but confess i kept skipping forward until i found the pole impact- if it were only 4 or 5 minutes I would have watched the whole thing- just saying and trying to help- windows movie maker works fine for me- i always try to get down to 4 to 6 minutes- cheers....
Agreed. We are such an instant-gratification culture that we expect the internet to give us exactly what we want without delay. I did a bunch of fast-forwarding as well. YouTube has a built-in editor that will easily allow you to cut off the beginning and ending of a video after uploading it. It also has an image-stabilization algorithm that is amazing.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:44 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Disclaimer/ I don't do videos, would not even know how to. BUT I don't like long times with views of a plane as a speck in the sky. I really like videos that give a good static look at the plane and if it will enhance it, shots showing control functions in operation. Too many static shots are jerky and hard to watch, and just to short. A good two or three minute video beats most others for me.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, PA, Lewistown
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Yes, guys, I know that most would love to only watch a 3-5 minute video, instead of a 10-20 minute video(unless it's XXX),, but most of my videos, I don't chop up to put online, because I do them to entertain the people who enjoy long flight videos, but......I may just start doing 5-6 minute vids for those of you who have ADHD
Maximilionalpha is offline Find More Posts by Maximilionalpha
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:36 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Here is a list of part numbers and prices for the Radian from HH

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/radian-rtf-PKZ4700 and click on Part and Accessories.

Call your LHS to see is they have a replacement props and spinners in stock and you can quote the PKZ numbers and they should offer the same prices as the web with no extra for freight.

You are unlikely to find a folding prop and spinner that isn't Parkzone in stock that will fit. I understand that the Multiplex Cularis works. You need something for the 4mm motor shaft. Scroll back a few pages as there are several links for props and spinners from folks like HeadsUpRC who will give you quick delivery in the U.S. Not so good up here because of a border and often faster for me to get it from HK in HK.
I ordered my aluminum spinner and prop that RA recomended from Headsuprc on a fri and was delivered on the following Monday.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Thanks for that info. Although the magnets might be the most elegant solution, having some velcro or strong tape across there has got to be stronger. If you used magnets with the same holding power as that, it would probably take 2 people to pull the wings apart.
With using the small neodymium magnets that are used to hold down the canopy to the fuselage on the Radian, it makes for an easy pull apart in the event of a wing-tip clipping something and is just as easy to pull apart by hand when you want to disassemble the wings, but makes it very difficult for them to come apart from wing flex and tight loops and turns in strong winds or dives.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
I have the time to watch long videos, so I like them.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic View Post
I have the time to watch long videos, so I like them.
Thank you, Foamaholic! Well at least I have 1 more fan of my long videos..lol
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
812 Posts
Soon, I'm about to hack my $38 Carcam HD DVR and improve the video quality and clarity.