HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Google "Graupner 11 X 8 folding prop" and you'lll get links to Esprit, iCare ( for Canadians ) and more such as

http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-...ropellers.aspx

Someone no doubt will suggest that Aeronaut is a good alternative to Graupner. I don't know.. never used them.

You will have to drill out the hole to match the steel stud used on the PKZ hub. No big deal, just go slow, increasing its size one bit size at a time to make sure you stay straight and on center. I use the bit in my fingers and never under power to do the enlarging. You might have to finish off with a fine rat-tailed file to get the last 1/1000" You don't want it oversized, just large enough to not bind and allow it to fold easily.

Watch out for the shoulder dimension. 8mm is too big. The Radian hub is about 7mm and the original PKZ prop is about 6.5mm (1/4").
Thanks RA as it seems to be a popular blade as there out of stock.

We might stay with the stock blades for now and do the mods.
Our radians now carry so much extra weight 7oz and fly to us anyway great as we use them for a camera platform.
We are purchasing 3 more radians suckerd another friend into getting one and will use these for thermaling or at least try.
Therefore with 7oz less weight and doing Natons mods it should be fun.
We do like video so mybe we might just place one of our hk wing cams on the tail for balance as they weigh 28grams.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Speaking of props I and my friend would like to upgrade ours to mybe a 11x6.
Could you please give us a place where we could purchase such while usung the same spinner?
If we need a diff spinner thats ok to.
Check out my blog post for some helpful information. Once you see the performance, you'll never want to go back. Truly vertical takeoffs are awesome! And yes, get a different spinner. The stock one is terrible.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1509238

TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
I tried to find that m733500 but didn't have any luck.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of props I and my friend would like to upgrade ours to mybe a 11x6.
Could you please give us a place where we could purchase such while usung the same spinner?.
Esprit carries the Graupners and also the Aeronauts, which as far as I can tell are equal. I am using an Aeronaut 11 x 6. They are frequently back-ordered on the popular sizes.

http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-...ropellers.aspx

http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...denthaler.aspx
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:43 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
I tried to find that m733500 but didn't have any luck.
Here's where I got mine (out of stock right now): http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=E1055866
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,408 Posts
Here's a source for 11 x 8 blades with a 6mm hub that work on the stock spinner. http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-14...es-11x8/Detail

The only problem is I have yet to find any folders that fold completely flush with the fuselage when using the stock spinner other than the OEM blades. The good thing about the stock spinner is that it is the lightest alternative available which means that all the substitutes force adding weight to the aft end to compensate. For that reason I stick with the stock spinner and live with the not-quite-flush folding of alternate blades.

I know Aggie doesn't like the stock spinner but I have had very few issues with them - and they are cheap from HH or your LHS.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
Thanks guys for all your help with spinners and blades.
As this is my first venture into sail planes, there is a lot to learn from my other type of planes and wings.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
The good thing about the stock spinner is that it is the lightest alternative available which means that all the substitutes force adding weight to the aft end to compensate. For that reason I stick with the stock spinner and live with the not-quite-flush folding of alternate blades..
You lose structural integrity of the most highly-stressed part on the aircraft to save those few grams. In my case, I would much rather have a solid prop and spinner so I don't have to worry about my Radian self-destructing when I punch full throttle.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:32 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
You lose structural integrity of the most highly-stressed part on the aircraft to save those few grams. In my case, I would much rather have a solid prop and spinner so I don't have to worry about my Radian self-destructing when I punch full throttle.
The above post reminds me of fellows who add a tube inside the one joining the two wings.

What is the appoximate size and weight of such a tube ?

Anyone ?

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,740 Posts
Mine is 3/8 x 27 inches and weighs 6 oz. Got it at Ace hardware.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
+1. I believe the plastic hub is the weakest link, especially if you fly an upgraded prop. I had to add 1/2 ounce to the tail to balance the aluminum hub and spinner but consider it worth it.

I know some favor having their throttle on a switch. I have wondered how much repeated abrupt starts and stops contribute to failed hubs and props.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:38 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic View Post
Mine is 3/8 x 27 inches and weighs 6 oz. Got it at Ace hardware.
Many thanks Foamaholic,

6 oz is 170 grams. It makes me wonder why some fellows are concened about adding 10 or 20 grams.

Sure every bit counts but by how much seem to never be mentioned ?

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:20 AM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I know some favor having their throttle on a switch. I have wondered how much repeated abrupt starts and stops contribute to failed hubs and props.
That could be the biggest shortcoming of the stock spinner - that it lets the blades smack against stops. I know I wasn't too careful about gentle start-ups and my spinner failed. It would make sense that repeated hits would weaken the plastic around the pin, which is how mine failed. One thing we can say definitively given its design: smooth throttle changes will be better for the life of the spinner than abrupt ones.