Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:21 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:09 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:12 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynejG View Post

Zor,

are you married? If not, go out and get some leg over.

You sound extremely frustrated and grumpy.
WaynejG,

HELLO

I highlighted in blue your choice of words to imply something you were not sure how to express.

Anyone's guess is probably "good enough" .

Concerning your question, my private life is not part of this forum. I keep my posting discussing the technical aspects of our hobby.

I am not a grumpy person. I have no such natural tendency but yes it is frustrating to read people that claim to have zero decalage on their model and then show pictures that proves otherwise.

Our hobby involves lots of technicalities in which i am interested. Should I be degraded for my interest ?

Another one of my interest is the thought of so many readers seeking knowledge and that do not deserve to be mislead. They are often not able to decide for themselves "what is right (correct) and what is not.

I do not consider myself an expert but there are many subjects related to aerodynamics and how airplanes flies that I had to study in my profession and that are misunderstood by some forum participants.

If I post and express my own understanding then some people can consider that I am disturbing them and call me a troll.

My concept of a troll is someone that write useless postings that do not make sense, that are untrue, that are unfounded or unsupported opinions.

Wishing you much enjoyment in the hobby, good understanding and many hours of flying your models.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
WaynejG,
If I post and express my own understanding then some people can consider that I am disturbing them and call me a troll.

My concept of a troll is someone that write useless postings that do not make sense, that are untrue, that are unfounded or unsupported opinions.
Zor
Biting tongue.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Biting tongue.
My tongue looks like a hamburger and I have lost at least liter of blood but I am holding fast!!!!
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataylor57 View Post
This whole thread cracks me up. I've been flying my Radian for over a year with no mods and enjoy flying it just fine. Maybe I'm just not good enough to know the difference but imo there a no required modifications that need to be done for the plane to fly.
I concur, but I understand the need, that this thread has provided, to be creative. Of late, there has been some real amusement.

My son had one. After a flight with his, I thought; what a nice chunk of foam. Bought mine in mid 2010. After assembly I checked the alignments from the rear: Fuselage bends to the right, stab tilts to the right, right wing half is heavier than the left wing half and the right wing has a wash-in droop at the mid area of the trailing edge span. Holy cow! Balance point? It feels about right. Well, this combination of inefficiencies seemed to balance out at the speed the Radian flies best, for me. I fly the Radian as a climb and glide sailplane. Left hand turning in a thermal seems best. 30mph wind provides a nice ride. I haven't removed the wings for 2 years. Equipment and battery are working fine. I did do one mod; a piece of magic tape at the front canopy to the fuselage, just in case.
Thought about getting a Radian Pro, but ahhhhh, simplicity is great.
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Sep 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Ramsey View Post
I concur, but I understand the need, that this thread has provided, to be creative. Of late, there has been some real amusement.

My son had one. After a flight with his, I thought; what a nice chunk of foam. Bought mine in mid 2010. After assembly I checked the alignments from the rear: Fuselage bends to the right, stab tilts to the right, right wing half is heavier than the left wing half and the right wing has a wash-in droop at the mid area of the trailing edge span. Holy cow! Balance point? It feels about right. Well, this combination of inefficiencies seemed to balance out at the speed the Radian flies best, for me. I fly the Radian as a climb and glide sailplane. Left hand turning in a thermal seems best. 30mph wind provides a nice ride. I haven't removed the wings for 2 years. Equipment and battery are working fine. I did do one mod; a piece of magic tape at the front canopy to the fuselage, just in case.
Thought about getting a Radian Pro, but ahhhhh, simplicity is great.
Sweet post!
jmps is offline Find More Posts by jmps
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:52 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Hi,
That is an interesting change you made, and a clever linkage. It certainly did have a flutter problem. How did it feel when it happened? Did you maintain control?

Do you have any thoughts on possible changes to stop it from being a problem? I had a HLG with a full flying stab, but it didn't use that type of linkage. Instead of the "control horn" attached to the pivot going forwards, turn it so it points down. Then use the control rod from the servo to push and pull it, giving you your elevator movement. You could skip the entire lower pivot turny thingy. (What would that be called, anyway? ) That's essentially what mine did. I'm not saying it was better - just giving ideas.

Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Similar experience here. Picked up a bare fuselage for $10 at the LHS because it had a bent tail ( no breaks ) in shipping to them from HH. In fact their whole shipment of about 4 or 5 fuselages were damaged in shipping so I picked the best of the lot. No big deal for me as I always add the CF arrow in replacement of the fiberglass strip. I too fussed about the FFStab for months because most high-end sailplanes use them, I have nothing better to do with my life, and the "infamous" discussion on that which must not be mentioned would cease

I have no experience with CF construction/bagging/molding so I'm going the buy-it-first route. However, in the spring V mount RCG FFS thread I referenced earlier, one member casually mentioned constructing the mount with fiberglass instead of CF and Kevlar. While I wait for parts I might try the FG multilayered construction with 5 minute epoxy.

They are weight consious but for a Radian that is less important than doing the proof-of-concept. So a crude, heavy V Mount made out of FG and maybe some aluminum will be good enough. If it works well, then we can try to build V 2.0 "elegant and light weight".

And another Radian FFS solution from 43851E last year on this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10011 and his video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68KqX...ure=plpp_video and a potential flutter problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVTwj...feature=relmfu
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:51 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
Hi,
That is an interesting change you made, and a clever linkage. It certainly did have a flutter problem. How did it feel when it happened? Did you maintain control?

Do you have any thoughts on possible changes to stop it from being a problem? I had a HLG with a full flying stab, but it didn't use that type of linkage. Instead of the "control horn" attached to the pivot going forwards, turn it so it points down. Then use the control rod from the servo to push and pull it, giving you your elevator movement. You could skip the entire lower pivot turny thingy. (What would that be called, anyway? ) That's essentially what mine did. I'm not saying it was better - just giving ideas.

Colin
This guys flutter is from wrong pivot point on the stab, it has to be at 25% or so, any further back it will flutter. I ran into that with my first build of flying stab on another glider. Also very overbuilt for a foamie. I made one for Easy Glider Pro and mine was over built for it with oversize wires, But it works great. I will build one for a Radian if I have time, it is just not needed on that glider but great benefit is flat storage, if you need that. Take a look at older designs for inspiration on how to build a light flying tail. I have Marks models Windfree, where I got the idea, very simple light system.
I can show a couple of pictures of my endlessly modified, bashed up, guinea pig Easy Glider Pro.It is just 2 wires and 2 aluminum tubes glued into the foam. To use the standard push rod you could glue plywood control horn, but about 1.5 in long at the pivot point. The pivot point is just a brass tube glued into a square of balsa and that is glued into the foam. balsa provides larger gluing area. Overall flying tails are much easier to damage and for a foam glider, not much advantage.
Last edited by ddruck; Jul 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,855 Posts
I've been trying to figure out how to get the CG where I want it without having to use dead weight on the tail. So far the only idea that comes to mind is moving one of the servos to the rear. I see from the pictures of the Easystar that it is possible to do that without having too much sticking out and creating drag. Did it come that way, or did you do that when you made the ff stab?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I've been trying to figure out how to get the CG where I want it without having to use dead weight on the tail. So far the only idea that comes to mind is moving one of the servos to the rear. I see from the pictures of the Easystar that it is possible to do that without having too much sticking out and creating drag. Did it come that way, or did you do that when you made the ff stab?
It is Easy Glider Pro , but anyway, yes I moved it there for balance reasons, I hate lead. Also you can use smaller servos since you do not have to fight the long draggy push rods.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynejG View Post
Zor are you married? If not, go out and get some leg over. You sound extremely frustrated and grumpy.
Finally, this thread is getting AWESOME again!!!
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,331 Posts
+1 on that JG. This thread has provided a forum on many interesting and useful experiments some of which clearly improve the performance of the Radian. There are some posters that feel that they must pontificate about why these modifications do or don't work. I would recommend to those who feel obliged to provide their theory on these changes move to the appropriate thread on modeling science and discuss it to their hearts content with the experts, i.e. leave us amateurs to our toys and the fun they provide us.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Interesting comments for some readers

Hi ColinB and Radio.Active

I was watching the videos linked in Post 12518 by ColinB and observed the following _ _ _

The second URL video show some nice smooth flying and observing the pitch conttrol we can see the impossible condition of judging and controlling the pitch attitude with high precision.

We can see a nearly constant variation of a few degrees.
I consider that as being absolutely normal and expected.

The third URL with the camera pointing toward the tail is showing us that the hoizontal tail is lining up nicely into the airstream as expected.

Thanks for the videos that are proving once again that the theory of aerodynamics and the practical side of flying are in accordance to each other.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Lexington, NE
Joined Dec 2001
124 Posts
[QUOTE=David A Ramsey;22152443
Thought about getting a Radian Pro, but ahhhhh, simplicity is great.[/QUOTE]

I enjoy flying mine. Bought a Pro but haven't gotten around to flying it.

Mike
Mike 52732 is offline Find More Posts by Mike 52732