HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2008, 02:41 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,099 Posts
Foam safe paint

Guys I want to paint the underside of the wings, is this foam safe to paint?
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2008, 05:00 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
Guys I want to paint the underside of the wings, is this foam safe to paint?
Yes,it is also CA safe(foam,and non-foam).
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:08 PM
drh
Rhode Island
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I have over 20 gliders and airplanes. They fall into 5 or 6 categories. This way I can fly what I want when I want.

The Radian would make an excellent first plane. Too many have started out looking for that, "does it all" as their first plane. Then they wreck 5 or 6 and finally come to realize that those stunt pilots didn't start flying in stunt planes, they started in trainers.

Some day the Radian, or something like it, will be the right plane for you. When you are ready, it will be here.

I have been following as many radian threads I can find here and at other RC sites. The Radian looks like the kind of plane I'm looking for. I have a couple of coax helicopters and a Parkzone Vapor. I like flying them all but I find the Vapor the most relaxing. I want to move to something bigger, keep the relaxing aspect and start to explore soaring.
drh is offline Find More Posts by drh
Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:26 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
You picked the right plane, Radian will detect even light lift, its a real floater, so use a larger area especially during the maiden flights, note it does have a brushelss motor and sailplanes will not respond immediately to stick inputs, many newbies likely will overcontrol this one on maiden flights..

Settings on my Radian are slightest down elevator even then the nose comes up with just over 1/2 throttle, my favored setting for finding lighter lift as I venture skyward, also sailplanes can turn on your during launch with wrong stick input, so be ready, just keep things level...its a winner and your going to like it, friend of mine with one of the high performance gliders flew my Radian and exclaimed, hey, this is the best plane you have, agree, hi hi, its everything they say it is and then some...BEST ..<>.

Pssst try to get a sailplane instructor at least on the maiden launch, tho this one isn't high performance its brushless motor and characteristics sailplanes have can give many newbies fits as the start...Good Luck..<>..
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:29 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Let me make some comments about how gliders respond to inputs. A number of people have commented that they can be slow or sluggish.

An electric glider, like the Radian, is both an electric airplane and a glider. As such you can expect to have short periods of powered flight followed by long periods of power off flying.

Like any airplane, the more airflow you have over the surfaces, the faster the plane will seem to respond and the more responsive it will fee. When there is little airflow over the surfaces, like when you are in a power off glide, you will find the glider will respond more slowly and will seem to take longer to respond. You will be tempted to go for big deflections, but try to hold back on that urge.

So, this change in response in an electric glider is quite normal and consistent with all powered planes. It is just that electric gliders are typicall operated over a much wider power range than powered airplanes. You get used to it after a while.

In fact, when you are thermal soaring, remember that every input creates drag, so the goal is to minimize the size and frequency of input. Just enough is about right. Don't horse it around the sky. Think flow, not go!

Glide and flow, smooth and slow is the way to go. Become one with the air. We don't bore holes in the sky, we try to bond with it.

When it works it is a beautiful thing.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:28 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Another bit of advice - when launching, try to keep the power moderate, not high. If power too high, P-effect of the prop can make it bank sharply to the left and dive because the bank to the left is so steep and sudden.

When in a thermal and making a constant rate turn, you will notice the nose go up as you turn into the wind and the nose go down when you turn away (downwind) relative to the wind. The turn into the wind can cause your airspeed to lower suddenly, and try to apply little bit of down elevator.

Small frequent control inputs are OK, that's how we fly in full scale sailplanes - not big inputs unless you get turbulence/gusts, as AEAJR was saying.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
turn into the wind? while flying?
lol
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_edge540
turn into the wind? while flying?
lol
What does this mean?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:32 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
This really is not the thread to get into it; but while flying, the wind speed and direction is irrelevant to the airspeed on your aircraft. When turning 'upwind' your plane will not get a surge of airspeed over the airframe, only a surge of deceleration on the ground speed (which has no effect on the flight characteristics). Lets open a new thread or PM me if needed.

On the other hand, if we are referring to flying in and out of the thermal currents - then that different altogether. That is considered flying in and out of updrafts / downdrafts, etc.
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:19 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Look - I used to be a full scale sailplane pilot (6 years). I don't want to get into any pissing contests with you. Just fly and enjoy.

I am busy working today, will PM you some day soon about my observations as a model sailplane pilot (about 3yrs)
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:30 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,099 Posts
Uh oh, here we go with a variation of the down wind turn.....

I have a few hours on my Radian, P factor is not an issue with this ship. I launch at full power, 60 degrees nose up to about 400 feet and shut down the motor. I ONLY use it to launch. I used about 50% of my battery with 14 launches.

In terms of full scale vs models, it just aint the same.... it helps but it's not the same.
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:21 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,499 Posts
I bought the RTF Radian. With the transmitter furnished use the low control setting and full power and the plane flies just great. While I have been used to turning the motor on before I tossed it, the last time I took it out I sort of condensed the usual check-out I use for every plane I fly.

I assembled the plane. Performed a range check. And gave it a hand toss to make sure everything was OK. Now usually at this stage I retrieve the plane and fly it. This time, I gave it a hand toss -- it was apparent that everything was OK so before it landed I simply put the hammer down and turned the plane skyward. 5 minutes from car to flying.

A first timer obviously ought to get a little help. But this plane (on the low control setting) flies right out of the hand well -- or hand tosses and floats well enough to power up from there. No torque roll.

Now if you want to have some fun set the control setting on high and let it rip. The plane loops, rolls and flies inverted great. It might even outside loop if you are careful.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
Super Secret Agent
Sink City, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,037 Posts
I think you guys pretty much sold me on a Radian. The timing is perfect, because shortly...I have a work assignment FAR from home, and trying to drag my existing stuff around isn't remotely practical.

The Radian (in it's RTF guise) seems just about perfect, and when you do the math...it's a pretty good value.

So ya'll can debate the downwind turn issue amongst yourselves , but thanks for the good info on the model!

BTW...what motor does this plane have? Is it a generic outunner, or an actual e-flite motor?

CV
CV580drvr is offline Find More Posts by CV580drvr
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:06 AM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
Another bit of advice - when launching, try to keep the power moderate, not high. If power too high, P-effect of the prop can make it bank sharply to the left and dive because the bank to the left is so steep and sudden.

When in a thermal and making a constant rate turn, you will notice the nose go up as you turn into the wind and the nose go down when you turn away (downwind) relative to the wind. The turn into the wind can cause your airspeed to lower suddenly, and try to apply little bit of down elevator.

Small frequent control inputs are OK, that's how we fly in full scale sailplanes - not big inputs unless you get turbulence/gusts, as AEAJR was saying.
You might want to check and see if the tail section of the fuse is bent or something. I got one and will be returning it this week. Never even flew it yet, but but I can tell with my eyeballs it won't fly perfectly. It's bent slightly pointing the rudder left with a bit of a twist thrown in for fun (must have been introduced while the fuse parts were being glued together). While it may be easily trimmed out at glide speeds, I'm sure whatever ill effect will be exagerated and different under full power with all that prop wash passing over it. I know this would be an easy fix with a bit of tape, but for 250 one should get a well finished product. I not knocking the plane at all ... I've seen one fly and absolutely will end up with one...just not this one.
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Last edited by wingsnapper; Dec 19, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:39 AM
Rugby
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
Wingsnapper I have a radian and the back of it tail is bent a bit to . But it flys ok.
paul ace is offline Find More Posts by paul ace