HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2006
78 Posts
...never mind !! the reference in the previous post answers the question. Great info for all foamy addicts. Now I might even be able to straighten the nose on me mini Stryker! which P.S. is also a bunch of flyin fun. Thanks for the instantaneous info.
R. Nordeck is offline Find More Posts by R. Nordeck
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I will reinforce the nose on any future Radians before the first flight, along with the tail boom stiffening. I don't crash much any more but in stock form the motor mounting is too weak to be durable.
Can you comment more on what is a good economical way of reinforcing the nose? - Do you think removing the prop and spinner and plugging in Toothpicks will make it much better? Does changing the screws make effect too?
sahil80 is offline Find More Posts by sahil80
Old May 27, 2012, 11:09 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
That means your motor is at the wrong angle.
I think it will be OK, and everything looks as straight as the eye can see. It flies great. The heat treatment works wonders, but I wouldn't expect it to be quite 100%. I just had to sand 1/16" off the front of the canopy to get a perfect fit.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old May 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil80 View Post
Can you comment more on what is a good economical way of reinforcing the nose? - Do you think removing the prop and spinner and plugging in Toothpicks will make it much better? Does changing the screws make effect too?
The photo shows how I stiffen the nose with three strips of 1/8" plywood, one on each side and one on the bottom, glued in with White Gorilla Glue. The strips have embedded #4-40 blind nuts to replace the OEM plastic nuts and anchor the three stainless steel bolts that replace the original watch-maker's screws. The combination of the ply strips and the larger bolts make for a very rigid and strong nose.

As you can see the motor I am using is not the original. It is a Turnigy 3530-1100. The prop is a Graupner CAM 11 x 6 on a 50 mm aluminum hub. This combo provide increased power so the stronger motor mount is needed to keep everything flying in formation.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; May 27, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
SSP ASP#88
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
Kaptondave, would you mind sharing some pics of the ESC/battery area of your radian? Looks like you've got a custom mount for the ESC. Does that extend back to the battery as well?
labrown is offline Find More Posts by labrown
Old May 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Mar 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
The photo shows how I stiffen the nose with three strips of 1/8" plywood, one on each side and one on the bottom, glued in with White Gorilla Glue. The strips have embedded #4-40 blind nuts to replace the OEM plastic nuts and anchor the three stainless steel bolts that replace the original watch-maker's screws. The combination of the ply strips and the larger bolts make for a very rigid and strong nose.

As you can see the motor I am using is not the original. It is a Turnigy 3530-1100. The prop is a Graupner CAM 11 x 6 on a 50 mm aluminum hub. This combo provide increased power so the stronger motor mount is needed to keep everything flying in formation.
Wow - that looks pretty interesting. So you have actually screwed bolts through the plastic + EPO + plywood strps. What bolts are you using ?

I am hoping this will not require me to install a new motor or prop and will work with stock setup?
sahil80 is offline Find More Posts by sahil80
Old May 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by labrown View Post
Kaptondave, would you mind sharing some pics of the ESC/battery area of your radian? Looks like you've got a custom mount for the ESC. Does that extend back to the battery as well?
Sorry, no pictures handy. The plywood piece with the holes in it is the forward end of my custom battery tray. The 1300 mah battery is at the back of the tray, just out of the picture, held down with a Velcro strap. The Turnigy 30A Plush ESC is under the battery tray. You can sort of see the red cover through the holes in the plywood..
Last edited by kaptondave; May 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil80 View Post
Wow - that looks pretty interesting. So you have actually screwed bolts through the plastic + EPO + plywood strps. What bolts are you using ?

I am hoping this will not require me to install a new motor or prop and will work with stock setup?
The bolts are #4-40 machine screws. I use stainless steel ones but regular steel will work as well. To install them I used a 1/8" drill bit to enlarge the holes in the plastic cowl and drill through the foam and the plywood. Actually the plywood strips were drilled and fitted with the blind nuts before gluing them in. If you don't want to mess with blind nuts use regular nuts with nylon inserts for locking.

This reinforcement method will work just as good with the stock motor.
Last edited by kaptondave; May 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:

I like that setup !

Thanks,
Randy
STEELINOX is offline Find More Posts by STEELINOX
Old May 28, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, VA, Yorktown
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Here are some more videos that I recently shot. Be sure to change the setting to 720hd:

Chasin' Boats (3 min 41 sec)

Parkzone Radian in Poquoson, Va 5-23-12 (4 min 27 sec)
thspoq is offline Find More Posts by thspoq
Old May 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
thspoq, have you done any stiffening mods? I can see a quite a bit of flex in the tail when you make turns. The tail wags side-to-side and the rudder twists.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:45 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Nice Videos Thspoq- and I know radian videos- good editing job- giving you an 8.7 score--

Got some editing to do yet from sundays flights- how long did it take you to edit that and how many cams- I have 7 cams and 2 flights to process- thats 14 videos to put into 5 or 6 minutes- whew will take me several hours..
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old May 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, VA, Yorktown
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
thspoq, have you done any stiffening mods? I can see a quite a bit of flex in the tail when you make turns. The tail wags side-to-side and the rudder twists.
Ill be honest, that radian (ive got 2) is my beater and it has been through hell and back. The only stiffening mods that ive done were running fiber rods down the length of the fuse. I probably should do something to the tail before she gives, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Nice Videos Thspoq- and I know radian videos- good editing job- giving you an 8.7 score--

Got some editing to do yet from sundays flights- how long did it take you to edit that and how many cams- I have 7 cams and 2 flights to process- thats 14 videos to put into 5 or 6 minutes- whew will take me several hours..
Thanks for the good rating!

That video took around 30mins to edit. I only have 1 camera (go pro HD) and 1 mounting position (fwd or rear). It does suck trying to compress a ton of really good videos into a 4-6min video but in the end its usually worth it. I cringe when I see others post unedited videos, editing really makes the videos that more enjoyable
thspoq is offline Find More Posts by thspoq
Old May 29, 2012, 07:18 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
editing is everything- and - a bad crash=good video and- I have never left a plane up there yet...

oh yeah- when I got it it was a box of sticks, and when I was done with it it was a box of sticks
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger