HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 05:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
We had a rather sad one up here over in Jonanx's province where a guest on a tandem fell and died while her fiance watched from the ground.

No reported Radian fatalities.... yet.
Thank goodness for that
STEELINOX is offline Find More Posts by STEELINOX
Old May 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
Mexico
Joined Aug 2010
77 Posts
I think I'd rather read about decalage. Sorry to hear about this!
MrBlu is offline Find More Posts by MrBlu
Old May 15, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
809 Posts
Both of those accidents were reported on various national tv news broadcasts. So sad.

I guess they receive such attention because they're unusual and not frequent happenings. Sure am glad for THAT! Even 2 is 2 many. Prayers to their families.
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old May 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
this should lighten the mood
how not to catch your Radian- and notice the carbon spar on the boom as it impacts my manhood- very little flex-lol
RC Radian Missile crashes into my balls, nuts, scrotum, too funny (1 min 24 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old May 16, 2012, 05:32 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydWyrYqgx68

O/T I know...

Well. where not to fly your Radian... now back on topic.

Translation of the Scottish accent available on request
Don't use your iPhone cux Siri can't deal with it.
Surely every one has seen/watched Braveheart . .
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old May 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
houstonia,mo
Joined Mar 2010
43 Posts
radian pnp

I fixed my radian these past few weeks had a mishap with my new 2.4 system i bought. Long story short used to having to arm esc with old 72mhz system, new radio doesn't work like my old one. So i was programming my new radio with my laptop and somehow the 3 rd ch reversed and the plane took off in the house LOL.
Only damage was one blade busted, broken plastic motor cowl. I replaced both should have maybe got a 1 inch bigger folding prop, seems like you guys like that.
I bought a thermal scout sure does help a lot, Keeps me from looking in the wrong places. There was just lift everywhere i only climbed maybe 4 times. I actually had a hard time getting the bird down. I thought i was out of the lift and sure enough it started climbing again. After maybe 30 min of using the thermal scout on and off. I found that if you trim the glider nice and smooth it indicates lifts somewhat on its own. The stock cg works good for me i have mine moved back aft just a hair maybe a few cm.
Beat my old record for longest flight by a long shot was over an hr long flight. Don't think im gonna do that again neck was killing me after that go figure. I usually don't fly like that, weather was just perfect less than 5mph wind only a couple clound and thermals everywhere! Im quite pleased and impressed with the stock version of the radian, sailplane has a very low wing loading. Can be a bit more fun flying in 10-15 mph wind since its quite light.
Really isn't designed for anymore wind than that in my opinion. For slope and high wind type soaring i like a flat more slim airfoil. Anyways was thinking of using clear box tape to put on the leading edge because i land in tall grass a lot and if i hit a strong weed it tends to bang up the leading edge. I have done this before on my easy star seems to work fine with me. Any advice on stuff like that?

setup
-stock 3ch pnp radian
Flysky 2.4ghz 6ch rx/tx
thermal scout visual verio setup
stock 1300 mah battery
spray painted bottom wing black for visibility
stinger0518 is offline Find More Posts by stinger0518
Old May 16, 2012, 04:49 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,484 Posts
A while ago I bought a second hand PNP Radian(without the TX/RX and battery), as I had read just about all threads on it and wanted to know what it was really like. Wanted a plane to take on holidays... Bought a MPX Pico TX for almost nothing and converted it to Assan (still my favorite 2.4Ghz system), 6CH micro receiver. Took out the 3-4s controller and put a 2-3s one in, so I could fly with the 2S Rhino 1050 mAh packs I use in my Robbe Arcus (my all time favorite, see avatar). Planned on a bigger prop, but decided to try with the stock one first.My CG came out about 68mm behind leading edge, no other important mods(tail is removable though, 4 magnets). Reduced rudder and elevator travel a bit, still looked huge to me.

First flights were uneventful, climbed better than I expected ( ok, no rocket...), but sink was also a lot more than I would have expected. Elevator trim neutral, so decalage seems OK on mine. But I could not understand the hype, my Arcus flies a LOT better. But then in the last climb of the last flight that day I hit a thermal. What a difference! It became a dream to fly, stays visible a lot better than my Arcus (it's bigger and the blue tips on the underside really stand out (standard decals and colors)), and if you want to come down it's enough to use the rudder a lot with that huge travel.

On the second day there was a lot of wind, flying was no problem, but coming back from (too) far downwind was (thank God for the motor...). Still, the huge difference in behavior when in sink or lift made it easy to detect and exploit thermals ( this must be the reason for it's popularity...). On my first landing I thought I was going to hit my car, so I steered it towards me and caught it... Not that much fun on a windy day though...

Today the wind was less, but still a good breeze. Flying was really fun this time. Caught a thermal on my first climb , and a deliberate catch on landing. Caught it two times out of 3 today. With less wind, I could now also come back easily from downwind. I think I like it... Main advantage is I can take it out of the car and assemble it in less than a minute, disassembling is even faster. Batteries, charger and TX all fit in the box with the plane. Box is big , but manageable.I do understand the hype now. Not really seeing the need for cg and decalage mods yet. Will change the connector(s) to make the stab "really" removable though, at the moment I leave it on, but that means it can't go in the box...

I wonder how many were sold so far....
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old May 16, 2012, 09:58 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
The weather was absolutely glorious this evening. No wind at all. Perfect for some vertical takeoffs and then just floating around. The Radian never disappoints!
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old May 17, 2012, 01:16 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 02:09 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger0518 View Post

I fixed my radian these past few weeks

I had a mishap with my new 2.4 system i bought. Long story short used to having to arm esc with old 72mhz system, new radio doesn't work like my old one. So i was programming my new radio with my laptop and somehow the 3 rd ch reversed and the plane took off in the house LOL.

Only damage was one blade busted, broken plastic motor cowl. I replaced both should have maybe got a 1 inch bigger folding prop, seems like you guys like that.

I bought a thermal scout sure does help a lot, Keeps me from looking in the wrong places.

There was just lift everywhere i only climbed maybe 4 times. I actually had a hard time getting the bird down. I thought i was out of the lift and sure enough it started climbing again. After maybe 30 min of using the thermal scout on and off. I found that if you trim the glider nice and smooth it indicates lifts somewhat on its own.

The stock cg works good for me i have mine moved back aft just a hair maybe a few cm.

Beat my old record for longest flight by a long shot was over an hr long flight. Don't think im gonna do that again neck was killing me after that go figure. I usually don't fly like that, weather was just perfect less than 5mph wind only a couple clound and thermals everywhere!

Im quite pleased and impressed with the stock version of the radian, sailplane has a very low wing loading. Can be a bit more fun flying in 10-15 mph wind since its quite light. Really isn't designed for anymore wind than that in my opinion. For slope and high wind type soaring i like a flat more slim airfoil.

Anyways was thinking of using clear box tape to put on the leading edge because i land in tall grass a lot and if i hit a strong weed it tends to bang up the leading edge. I have done this before on my easy star seems to work fine with me. Any advice on stuff like that?

setup
-stock 3ch pnp radian
Flysky 2.4ghz 6ch rx/tx
thermal scout visual verio setup
stock 1300 mah battery
spray painted bottom wing black for visibility

Sure looks like you are enjoying your flying.
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 17, 2012, 02:37 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:07 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Quote:
On a RET 3 channel model such as the Radian it is difficult to input RUD only or ELE only without a slight input into the other control when both are on the same stick. EXPO and Dual Rates can reduce the unwanted input.
I noticed this and was able to get a good result by putting expo on the elevator only. I get instantaneous response from the rudder and no unintended elevator movement.
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old May 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
The weather was absolutely glorious this evening. No wind at all. Perfect for some vertical takeoffs and then just floating around. The Radian never disappoints!
Super photography.

Gorgeous pictures

Thanks.
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
beautiful pics dude....
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger