SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
You might be right about the harmonic-resonance thing...have to think about that. The reason for stiffening the tail is not to keep it from breaking, but to make it fly better, and it does. I had quite a few miles on it before doing the mod, and the rudder authority was definitely improved with a stiffer tail. Next time...longer...stiffer etc.
I gotchya...

That makes sense. If it were me, I wuld prolly glass a dorsal : leading edge fillet = kill two birds with one application.

Fix the weak saddle and strengthen the dorsal and vertical stab...

Thanks,
Randy

STEELINOX is offline Find More Posts by STEELINOX
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 01:26 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I have glass on my old Radian much like like the drawing but it stops two inches in front of the rudder but extends below the half way point on the fuse. This is a well used Radian and the back half of the fuse is very loose. The foam just seems to get loose as a noodle as it ages.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old May 15, 2012, 01:27 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
That makes sense. If it were me, I wuld prolly glass a dorsal : leading edge fillet = kill two birds with one application.
Your idea looks like it might work, without adding an unacceptable weight penalty. I have never tried fiberglassing. How much do you think that would add to the weight of the plane?

There is a guy out there called the shoe-goo-guru. Everybody laughs at him because he added fiberglass and other things and doubled the weight of his plane in order to make it crash-proof. That is an extreme approach, but if it makes him happy it is not up to us to criticize him. I have no interest in making any mods that will make it crash-proof, but if a mod can make it fly better, then I am interested.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old May 15, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
I have glass on my old Radian much like like the drawing but it stops two inches in front of the rudder but extends below the half way point on the fuse. This is a well used Radian and the back half of the fuse is very loose. The foam just seems to get loose as a noodle as it ages.
I'm not understanding whats becoming loose.

Is it the glass layup and the foam seperating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Your idea looks like it might work, without adding an unacceptable weight penalty. I have never tried fiberglassing. How much do you think that would add to the weight of the plane?

There is a guy out there called the shoe-goo-guru. Everybody laughs at him because he added fiberglass and other things and doubled the weight of his plane in order to make it crash-proof. That is an extreme approach, but if it makes him happy it is not up to us to criticize him. I have no interest in making any mods that will make it crash-proof, but if a mod can make it fly better, then I am interested.
Carbon Fibre fix:

It wuld prolly weigh in at least one 25c worth of quarters as a guess...

That is a mm thick carbon fibre layup

Making it from carbon fabric, using the dorsal and fin leading edge the "plug" - laying it up, trim and finish it, just seems like a lot of work for the end result = making it fly [a little/lot better] !

Thanks,
Randy
Old May 15, 2012, 09:42 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Repeated flexing of the boom, wing saddle and HStab saddle.over time under shear, tension, torsion and compression weakens the foam beads or cells and they do not fully recover. It's the foam version of metal fatigue. That's how they make pool noodles, by recycling old Radian fuselages.
Gotchya !

Well, then its simply time for a new fuse
Old May 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Repeated flexing of the boom, wing saddle and HStab saddle.over time under shear, tension, torsion and compression weakens the foam beads or cells and they do not fully recover. It's the foam version of metal fatigue.
Lengthwise stiffening not only helps make a more positive control response but helps minimize the repeated flexing and thereby extends the lifetime of the fuse. Of course does not compensate for bad flying
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old May 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Yup! and strengthening a new fuselage or wing when they still have some stiffness will also increase their life span.

There are lots of innovative ways to stiffen both in this thread but for newbees it is getting harder and harder to find with a search as this thread appoaches 12k posts.

So there is a nice summary here http://www.radian-pro.com/ for the Radian Pro, and, the only difference between the R and RP from the wing saddle and aft is that the RP has 3 stiffeners in the boom while the Radian has one. But, as previously documented here, those stiffeners are often not glued in properly at the factory or are glued in crooked causing the variance in decalage that many experience from one fuselage to another.

Also see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646181 for other Radian mods including stiffening.

Before anyone jumps in... The Radian flys beautifully out of the box with NO mods with one caution to watch out for a death loop under full power at launch. Check your CG and control surfaces before launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hpv6N5ly0I

x 2 too !
Old May 15, 2012, 01:00 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,810 Posts
Why would anyone launch in front of a cattle gate anyway with that big open field just ahead.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old May 15, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Why would anyone launch in front of a cattle gate anyway with that big open field just ahead.
Thats the way it was scripted !
Old May 15, 2012, 01:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Old May 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Loaded up that spar tube this morning for Torrey Tuesday ~ !

Torrey Tuesday ~ ! (1 min 25 sec)
Old May 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Old May 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Lovely location. Is that Torrey Pines Gliderport?
Yes it is the Torrey Glider Port...

Unfortunately the other day we had a paraglider fatality. The 52yo female pilot had hit the side and did not survive...