to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 01:00 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty11 View Post
My radian nose dived about 8 feet after hitting a tree. It compressed the front part of the fussalage foam a little. Nothing major, probably about a quarter inch of compression. Is there any method to getting the compression out?
If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to closely inspect the prop, spinner, and motor mount just to make sure everything is tight and there are no hairline cracks.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old May 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Interesting day flying. Went out at about 11 which typically means lift is hard to find but when i do its strong. Today was different in that i had my telemetry module connected to my thermal scout. Usually i just turn it on to confirm im in a thermal, but today it was set up to alarm fkr lift and sink. What i discovered was that there was a lot more lift than i realized, it was just small and fast moving. Like lots of little dust devils. Tough to work with a radian but makes me eager to finish my dlg build.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old May 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty11 View Post
My radian nose dived about 8 feet after hitting a tree. It compressed the front part of the fussalage foam a little. Nothing major, probably about a quarter inch of compression. Is there any method to getting the compression out?
the plane hit the tree? yeah mine has done that before- darn planes anyway- mind of thier own sometimes-
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old May 12, 2012, 04:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,492 Posts
I am surprised that you have gotten no help on repairing your crash damage. There has been a lot of discussion on the Forum about using hot water to reshape foam, and recall seing a long detailed tutorial about it not long ago. Sorry I do not have a link but hopefully someone else will.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old May 13, 2012, 07:30 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,246 Posts
Taking twists and warps out of foam
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11127
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 13, 2012, 07:52 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Flew our radians over the metro area today- made about 1000 feet over downtown Des Moines- our largest building is 630 feet-the movie edit crew hard has been drinking beer and should be fired- if only it was a paid position I will try and kick 'em into gear...
Old May 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
211 Posts
Just a few words about my once forgotten love... The Radian (MK1). Two and a half years ago the Radian was one of my first planes I started flying with. You know what follows - you get bored, search for the pefect flyer while you progresse and people tell you "it has to have ailerons, man!". So your hangar grows and grows. The Radian get's sold.

I ended up flying F3K most of the time today. But I was looking for something I could just throw into the car and fly wherever I like in the wild or when my shoulder hurts I remembered the good old days with my Radian und just hit the purchase button on a special price offer. Yesterday was its maiden and I totally love it (again!). It's funny as you progress with your flying and thermaling skills you get to know the Radian from a totally new perspective. I can recommend even if you think mouldies and ailerons is the only way to go to give it a try. I'm glad I found the Radian again and will surely enjoy flying it this summer.
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne
Old May 14, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Way to go Jenne...Welcome back !!!!

Hey guys- This video is cool- and funny !

I SMACK MYSELF IN THE BALLS ON THE ATTEMPTED HAND CATCH

we fly over the metro area and the Iowa Cubs ball park....

Radians Soar over Metro Des Moines and a crotch crash.wmv (6 min 39 sec)
Old May 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,946 Posts
It is amazing the sacrifices men will make just to keep the underside of their plane free from road-rash. Your buddy made the right choice.

Here is a video that validates the picture you uploaded that shows the tail-flex during a hand catch. I took this video today of my Radian Pro doing a less-than-perfect landing. You can see the amount of tail flex that occurred even though the landing was not all that terrible. The picture shows the carbon rod I inserted into the underside of the rear fuselage. The 2 vertical pieces were intended to reduce the torsional twisting of the fuselage, and they did help. After doing the mod, I found the rudder to be more responsive.

As the video shows, it was not enough. If I were to do it again, the CF rod would be longer and stiffer and fatter like Scott's, and, well, you know what I mean...whatever it takes to keep her happy.

Radian Pro tail flex (0 min 45 sec)
Last edited by Jovanx; May 14, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
It is amazing the sacrifices men will make just to keep the underside of their plane free from road-rash. Your buddy made the right choice.

Here is a video that validates the picture you uploaded that shows the tail-flex during a hand catch. I took this video today of my Radian Pro doing a less-than-perfect landing. You can see the amount of tail flex that occurred even though the landing was not all that terrible. The picture shows the carbon rod I inserted into the underside of the rear fuselage. The 2 vertical pieces were intended to reduce the torsional twisting of the fuselage, and they did help. After doing the mod, I found the rudder to be more responsive.

As the video shows, it was not enough. If I were to do it again, the CF rod would be longer and stiffer and fatter like Scott's, and, well, you know what I mean...whatever it takes to keep her happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCC2WN2i5H4
I think the vertical rod actually causes a tuning fork enhancement of the phenomena; it exacerbates it...

Bein made of foam, it is what it is, and when it breaks ya replace the part thats broken...

Thanks for the vid.

Randy
STEELINOX is offline Find More Posts by STEELINOX
Old May 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
I think the vertical rod actually causes a tuning fork enhancement of the phenomena; it exacerbates it...

Bein made of foam, it is what it is, and when it breaks ya replace the part thats broken...

Thanks for the vid.

Randy
You might be right about the harmonic-resonance thing...have to think about that. The reason for stiffening the tail is not to keep it from breaking, but to make it fly better, and it does. I had quite a few miles on it before doing the mod, and the rudder authority was definitely improved with a stiffer tail. Next time...longer...stiffer etc.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:10 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,358 Posts
Adding carbon along the length of the fuselage will stiffen it in bending but probably wont help much in twist along the lengthwise axis. Twist is difficult to help without adding significant mass but it is not that critical anyway. Bending is the big problem in the Radian.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing