SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2012, 11:19 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
The hawk, while checking out the sailplane is probably saying to itself " wouldn't it be neat if I could move my tail feathers on two different axis at the same time"
Lol, good one. He also might have been thinking "I wonder if this plane has on-board meal service like the big ones have?"
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:10 PM
insidepainter
United States, PA, Monroe
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
That is one remarkable video! Thanks!
LNEFAN is offline Find More Posts by LNEFAN
Old May 08, 2012, 12:24 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,950 Posts
Maybe he was using bait. That is the tried-and-true method of getting pictures of wildlife. I bet if you had a little chunk of rotten fish in the plane, the birds would follow...
Old May 08, 2012, 03:02 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,329 Posts
This has been posted in the thread awhile ago but, since we are talking Radian's and Hawks... I like this video from the SoCal boys in Laguna Niguel, CA. (not my video, just reposting for new viewers)

Flying With Hawks (0 min 53 sec)
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old May 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
Angels Camp, California
Joined Jan 2006
920 Posts
Getting out of strong lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Spoilers in the top of the wing. They would be great for spot landing and also as a way to get the Radian down from a thermal when its higher than your comfortable with.
Twice this season I've whished I had em'...the last time I spirialled down from 2200 feet I ended up putting a lot of stress on the rudder pushrod and the metal clip pulled out from the fuse.
Keep in mind my Radian is 4 years old and needed a tune up anyway!

I ended up doing all the Paul Naton mods (http://glidefast.typepad.com/glidefa...-ups.html#more)
and adding some new HS65HB servos.
Another idea. I haven't tried it on a radian but have on other sailplane where I had enough elevator. In strong lift that you need to exit.
Loop or roll into inverted flight and hold enough down elevator to stay there.
Most aren't' built for inverted flight and sink quickly out of the lift. Half loop to level flight when you still have room of course. Fun and not that hard. Practice at a safe altitude.
LannyG
LannyG is offline Find More Posts by LannyG
Old May 08, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
126 Posts
I've got an Orange R610 and also their satellite to go in my radian. I was wandering if you guys could give me some advice as to where and how to mount the satellite.
qwerty11 is offline Find More Posts by qwerty11
Old May 09, 2012, 02:15 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty11 View Post
I've got an Orange R610 and also their satellite to go in my radian. I was wandering if you guys could give me some advice as to where and how to mount the satellite.

I fly two Radians both have the OrangeRx R610 Spektrum DSM2 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver and OrangeRx R100 Satellite Receiver fitted.

See photo's .

Rx fitted in servo bay..

Slot cut into fuse for the Sat wires..

Sat as far away as possible from main Rx set a 90 degree's..

3MBlenderm tape holds it all in place..

Sean

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; May 09, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 07:01 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Actually, as I think about it, the hawk is doing a 2 axis manouver. Down tail with a twist. I see this regulary when soaring with Ravens when they do a sort-of 1/2 snap-roll to loose altitude quickly and almost end up flying upside down like Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Geese and ducks will do this on their final approach too.

But I have never got a movie anywhere like this hawk one. But I'm working on it. I think I need to to a Scott/Eckace multicam setup cuz I regularly have solo hawks and eagles, but flocks of ravens, seagulls and pelicans thermalling where I fly.
I got cams all over and can't get birds like that- do i need to dangle worms? put a mouse on board? a fish hanging below?
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old May 09, 2012, 10:41 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
I got cams all over and can't get birds like that- do i need to dangle worms? put a mouse on board? a fish hanging below?
My money would be on the fish. If that doesn't work...try roadkill.
Old May 09, 2012, 11:53 AM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Maybe he was using bait. That is the tried-and-true method of getting pictures of wildlife. I bet if you had a little chunk of rotten fish in the plane, the birds would follow...
"He" is Me!
We were not using any bait....
I could not get the mouse to stay on the plane!

I am currently stationed in Japan, and there are lots of hawks in this area. I usually try to get the Radian up and follow them, ... They know where all the thermals are! But this particular day, there were lots of them.

Occasionaly one will try to show who's sky I am flying in and try take his frustration out on the Radian. I had some decent scrathes on the tail feathers! I originally posted this video to the thread back in Oct with some good stills from the ground. In post number 9769 on page 652 of the thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post19718121
If you looked away, you would sometimes loose the Radian in the swirl of birds!My wife took the still pictures. She is our official RC photographer.

As for thir Birds using their tail feathers, I was mesmerized by that also. I was thinking of a plane with similar controls, then I seen this video.... Someone beat us to it!

Cheers, Glad you liked my first posted Radian Vid!

Baseman

Robotic Bird Takes Flight (1 min 52 sec)
Baseman is offline Find More Posts by Baseman
Last edited by Baseman; May 09, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 12:07 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,950 Posts
Thank you, Baseman for another great video. That is food for thought for sure. You obviously had so many birds flying around that bait was not necessary. I was just suggesting it as something that might work for someone who was trying to get videos of birds where they were not so plentiful. Actually, it started out as a joke about meal service, and then it occurred to me that it might actually work.

It is amazing that something that big could be flown in such a small space. I found it interesting that they ended up putting a rudder on it, even though it goes down instead of up. I'm sure they would have rather left it off, just for looks, but it must have been necessary.
Last edited by Jovanx; May 09, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 02:11 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla969 View Post
I'm trying to figure out a way to land on a short runway at my house. I live on 3 acres, but there are a lot of trees and a pond making a landing challenging. I've not tried it yet. I have a spot with about 125' of clear space, but I'd have to drop down sharply after clearing the trees. I was thinking about a hook and cable "aircraft carrier" setup. If I missed I'd end up in the bushes. It would just be so nice to sit on my second floor porch overlooking the pond, soaring with the groups of buzzards that are always catching thermals right out my door. Any techniques or ideas for a short landing?
Adding spoilers would help a lot.

Basically you want to land by circling down rather than on a long approach. Can be done but it takes practice.

If you want to set up a stop, use a golf net, a soccer net or a volley ball net. I have seen this done for slope soaring sites that have no landing zone. The nets should be very slack rather than tight.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 09, 2012, 02:36 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla969 View Post
I'm trying to figure out a way to land on a short runway at my house. I live on 3 acres, but there are a lot of trees and a pond making a landing challenging. I've not tried it yet. I have a spot with about 125' of clear space, but I'd have to drop down sharply after clearing the trees. I was thinking about a hook and cable "aircraft carrier" setup. If I missed I'd end up in the bushes. It would just be so nice to sit on my second floor porch overlooking the pond, soaring with the groups of buzzards that are always catching thermals right out my door. Any techniques or ideas for a short landing?
Vollyball net at the end of your landing area, no kidding.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old May 09, 2012, 02:41 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,950 Posts
I like the idea of catching it in a net. I have been thinking about this for a long time and am glad others have too. There is this one canyon I would like to fly into, and take videos of waterfalls and canyon walls. There is no place to land anywhere around there, and a net might work.