HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:36 AM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
300 Posts
Retiredtech,

When using a DX8 and Spektrum's Telemetry one can monitor 'holds' (and many other parameters) in real-time ... don't have to look at the receiver.

On the DX8 is there an audible alarm that alerts you to the TX "holds" since you say you don't have to look?
overmyhead is offline Find More Posts by overmyhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Yay !!! I made it into the clouds today - that's a first for me- low ceiling at about 1500ft - got it on video- Also I flew the Gopro on the Radian today- another first for me. All in all Eckace and I carried 6 cameras aloft on our Radians and I have a lot of editing to do- may be one of the best videos I have made- We shall see- have 6 cameras and 2 flights to edit- 12 clips !!! may take awhile...Labor of love though...
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
Programmable

Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:04 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
Radian Reborn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
After flying my Radian this weekend, my evil engineer/mad scientist alter ego got the best of me, and I decided to do some completely unnecessary surgery. Actually, she was showing some signs of wear and tear that I had intended to maintenance. The motor mount was a little sloppy and wiggling from an old abrupt landing, my flat carbon stiffeners along the fuselage sides were pulling away, and layers of clear packing tape and lead tail weight were just plain unsightly. For a moment, I considered just replacing the fuselage. She was nearly a year old, and showing the tattered appearance that inevitably comes with hundreds of flights. Compression, gouging, staining, rashes, surgical scars, glue, tape, wearing paint… the whole nine yards.

I completely disassembled the Radian, electronics and all, until there was nothing but foam. The canopy magnets, control rod tubes, servo bay door, front landing skid, and ESC tie-down were all removed. Next, I separated the glue seams top and bottom all the way back to the vertical seam on one fuselage side. With some gentle coaxing, the halves separated, leaving the joiners intact. I removed the yellow “stiffener” from the fuselage bottom. The Radian flopped about like a boned fish. I separated the tail from the other fuselage half at the vertical seam. I had an extra wing spar, which I inserted into the tail section all the way to the rear skid. I matched the tail with the fuselage half and cut the spar to a length just behind the wing TE. Next, I dremeled a channel in both halves to seat the spar and glued the fuselage halves together along with the tail section. It was amazingly straight and stiff.

Next, I reinforced the floppy vertical stabilizer just in front of the horizontal stabilizer slot by inserting a small diameter CF rod from the top of the stab to mid fuse. I suspect that this, along with the spar, will eliminate needing the weight I added to the tail to move my CG aft. It now takes a bit of effort to twist or flex and is in perfect alignment with the seam along the fuselage top. Anyway, this is where my project stands. I am NOT advocating that anyone hack up their Radian, nor am I declaring any inherent benefit in this “mod”. All that remains to be seen. This was just an exercise in my own curiosity. Fun for me, but in all likelihood, completely unnecessary. Worst case, I’ll just replace the fuselage as planned earlier. I’ll let you know how it turns out…
Just following up... I have been working along a little at a time and finally got my Radian back into the air! Things never go back together like they came apart. One unintended consequence was that I induced some positive incidence in the tailplane during reassembly. My first glide test saw my bird leave my hand and arc downward toward the ground. I ended up undoing the decalage mod and returning the horizontal stabilizer to the stock neutral position. After many trial-and-error (emphasis on "error") attempts to right the airframe with decalage, trim and CG tweaks, I finally got it back where I wanted it. It launches and flies beautifully now. Just like new! Stab is neutral, and CG is at 3.5" from the LE. Launch is 70 plus degrees hands-off at 3/4 throttle. Glide is slow and graceful with a couple of clicks of elevator up trim. No porpoising. Dive angle is held with no visible sign of tuck or pull-out. Good penetration and signals lift well. Extremely long glide path at low altitude. She's a little heavier but doesn't seem to mind.

What I learned: 1) The Radian is pretty much indestructible. There is almost nothing you can do to this bird that, with careful repair and rebuilding, will render it completely not airworthy. 2) Without the benefit of the stock preset decalage, getting the Radian (maybe any glider) to fly the way you want it to is a delicate balancing act between tailplane incidence and CG.

Well, I'm done "playing" for now. It was a fun exercise for me, but I think I will just fly and enjoy my Radian for a while!
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:49 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
That is quite interesting. Can you tell us which Spektrum receiver and which Spektrum radio? Is it the same radio flying both receivers?

I am interested to know if it is a Spektrum DSM2 or DSMX radio. If it is a DSMX radio, does it have the DSM2 fix? Spektrum had to recall the DSMX radios for a DSM2 compatibility problem.

Which orange receiver? That, of course will be DSM2.

They say DSMX is much more resilient. You may have just provided proof of that.
This is not an issue of Brand. Many devices use the 2.4 frequency, it is unregulated. It is not exclusive to RC use as many believe. So if you fly near a 2.4ghz TX you are subject to interference. WiFi is on 2.4 and if they have a more powerful TX than you...you stand to suffer.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:57 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
chickenwing,

You have also shown or learned that some positive decalage is needed to produce the lift of the main wings.

Thus a couple of clicks of the elevator trim.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 01, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
Brand could make a difference.

Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old May 01, 2012, 01:59 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtech View Post
It CAN be an issue with 'Brand' if the 'cut rate' brand does not have as much filtering or RF shielding as the 'top rate' brand. In addition, with the way some 2.4 GHZ transmitter/receiver units operate, it should change channels if the channel presently used is interfered with by another 2.4GHZ signal. Could be the cheaper receiver does not do this as well or as fast as the better unit.

Also, the problem doesn't have to be 2.4GHZ interference. If the interfering transmitter's power level is high enough and its proximity is close enough, it can overpower the desired transmitter's signal the receiver is trying to receive, especially if the desired transmitter is far enough away. Again, this problem can be different with different brand of receivers.

"The proof is in the pudding". The Spektrum ar600 with Telemetry only produced a hold when flying low over the sub-station; the OrangeRx lost all control until it got past the sub-station.

RT
A receiver cannot have RF shielding which would reduce or eliminate completely receiving any signal.

If we interpret filtering in the sense of selectivity that is an advantage for the receiver since any received signal not modulated with the command data would appear as noise and the higher selectiity reduces the amount of noise picked up.

Any receiver can be overloaded at its front end if the interfering signal is strong enough on any frequency the receiver is hopping on.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 01, 2012, 06:37 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Yay !!! I made it into the clouds today - that's a first for me- low ceiling at about 1500ft - got it on video- Also I flew the Gopro on the Radian today- another first for me. All in all Eckace and I carried 6 cameras aloft on our Radians and I have a lot of editing to do- may be one of the best videos I have made- We shall see- have 6 cameras and 2 flights to edit- 12 clips !!! may take awhile...Labor of love though...
edit done- here is video- and I love the way my stiffer repaired Radian flies- the control authority is much faster since I dont have to wait for the tail to flex back before plane reacts to my inputs. it is a good video!

Amazing LOS Radians fly in the clouds with Gopro (6 min 11 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old May 01, 2012, 07:12 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
edit done- here is video- and I love the way my stiffer repaired Radian flies- the control authority is much faster since I dont have to wait for the tail to flex back before plane reacts to my inputs. it is a good video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO0YMoskON4
Great flying guys..

Nice idea with the Carbon spar on top of the fuse..

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old May 01, 2012, 07:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:39 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,479 Posts
Quote:
edit done- here is video
That looked like a lot of fun!!!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old May 01, 2012, 09:22 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtech View Post
It CAN be an issue with 'Brand' if the 'cut rate' brand does not have as much filtering or RF shielding as the 'top rate' brand. In addition, with the way some 2.4 GHZ transmitter/receiver units operate, it should change channels if the channel presently used is interfered with by another 2.4GHZ signal. Could be the cheaper receiver does not do this as well or as fast as the better unit.

Also, the problem doesn't have to be 2.4GHZ interference. If the interfering transmitter's power level is high enough and its proximity is close enough, it can overpower the desired transmitter's signal the receiver is trying to receive, especially if the desired transmitter is far enough away. Again, this problem can be different with different brand of receivers.

"The proof is in the pudding". The Spektrum ar600 with Telemetry only produced a hold when flying low over the sub-station; the OrangeRx lost all control until it got past the sub-station.

RT
I think it's a decalage problem. Since I adjusted my decalage and stopped flying over basins I've had no control problems with my Radian!

Just for added safety I wipe it down with dryer sheets before each flight.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old May 01, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
You're wrong here, Zor

Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:59 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
I think it's a decalage problem. Since I adjusted my decalage and stopped flying over basins I've had no control problems with my Radian!

Just for added safety I wipe it down with dryer sheets before each flight.
Dang, I wish I would have known about these things before I totaled the Mustang. I guess there is no end to the list of things that might cause a loss of control.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx