SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
... deleted
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Dec 23, 2011 at 06:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:38 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Self-annointed experts are the bane of these forums.

Human nature, I suppose, to enjoy the sound of one's own voice. I just scroll past those entries that have no real value
tkallev,

An interesting comment in your post.

How can one know an entry has no value without first reading it?
If it was read then it was not scrolled past.

If it is scrolled past because of who is the author we then do not know what we might be missing that is valuable.

Just a different point of view.

I think that everyone posting may have a valuable knowledge worth evaluating. Of course it has to be read to be evaluated .

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:40 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:

Human nature, I suppose, to enjoy the sound of one's own voice. I just scroll past those entries that have no real value

Far to many experts
and none of them worked on the design of the Radian

Don't get me wrong or anything..
but at the end of the day its just a toy ..

I know guys that have spent $//€ 1000+ + + on there gliders
and would not even look at a radian or any other foamie...toy..

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Dec 09, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:56 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCanuck View Post
EZKanuck _ _ _ Good choice for an attached picture.

Is the change in decalage really worth it or is it futile

Anyone can make its own evaluation.

The model will fly very nicely either way and who can really notice any difference?

It appears to be a matter of the pilot satisfying his/her choice as to when elevator control is used and under what degree of trim.

Changing the trim is equivalent to changing the decalage.

I feel that the designers knew what they were doing with good reasons.

Zor
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
kaptondave,

i cannot see what is gained by setting the physical decalage at zero or nearby while the model is factory set already for best gliding in thermals.

Zor
How would you know if the factory setting is best for thermals? There are many factors and compromises that go into a design. Everyone that has tried the stabilizer change and reported results seems to feel that it was beneficial. That includes myself. Have you tried it?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:26 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
It's actually quite easy, from reading posts in the past, I can tell that certain posters have nothing of value to add, they simply enjoy posting. Thereafter, I need waste no time on them.

Everyone needs a hobby, mine is building and flying model aircraft, not writing about them.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Last edited by tkallev; Dec 09, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:29 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Far to many experts
and none of them worked on the design of the Radian ...

Don't get me wrong or anything..
but at the end of the day its just a toy ..

I know guys that have spent $//€ 1000+ + + on there gliders
and would not even look at a radian or any other foamie...toy..

skyhawk newbie,

Congratulations for a post that makes lots of good sense.

For having "newbie" in your name, you are not a newbie in your evaluation of what is going on in this thread and in the forum.

Real experts never appoint themselves as experts.
That is done by others (the readers) who use that expression (self appointed expert) often as an expression of resentment or jealousy.

It is always easier to degrade someone who has made the efforts to gain knowledge than to make the effort of self improvement.

The Radian and Radian pro are good design and well made considering their purpose as a marketing toy. One proof is there by the popularity of the models and the popularity of their threads in this forum.

I myself bought one as my first foamy ever in over 50 years.

Many do some modifications of the original either because they really feel lhe need for improvements or simply becasuse they see what others are doing.

Just enjoy the Radians whichever way, modified or not, you end up flying them.

Also enjoy the Holidays.

Zor
Last edited by Zor; Dec 09, 2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Correcting keyboard errors in typing.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:31 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,547 Posts
Quote:

Human nature, I suppose, to enjoy the sound of one's own voice. I just scroll past those entries that have no real value.
Agreed. Unfortunately there are those that seem to feel they are expert on everything from aerodynamic design to the composition of foam, and find it necessary to repeat and dissect every post to prove it. I hope that such people, if there are any on this forum, might gather from the comments that many find their actions annoying.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Dec 09, 2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:08 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
... deleted
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Dec 23, 2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:22 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post

How would you know if the factory setting is best for thermals?

There are many factors and compromises that go into a design.

Everyone that has tried the stabilizer change and reported results seems to feel that it was beneficial. That includes myself. Have you tried it?
kaptondave,

As I already commented, the change of the decalage is a matter of choice by the owner and he/she do it because he/she feels better about it.

That does not mean it is a technical improvement.
Reinforcement of the fuselage rear is a technical improvemnt but not the decalage.

Changing the decalage while in flight is a simple matter of trimming the elevator. The elevators are there to determine and control the angle of attack of the main wings which is self adjusting to a different value depending on the elevator trim.

Some fellows wish to fly the Radian(s) as an elcctric propelled model airplane. Nothing wrong with that but it was not the intent of the designer(s).

How would you know if the factory setting is best for thermals?

Is it not logical that designing a model sailplane it is designed for thermals? In your opinion, I may be wrong but I doubt that. You are free of course to show otherwise.

Everyone that has tried the stabilizer change and reported results seems to feel that it was beneficial. That includes myself.

No doubt they felt that it was beneficial for their style of flying.
After one makes such a change there is a psychological need to justify the action taken. That is human nature.

One changes the stabilizer incidence on the ground then go fly and change it with trim. What was really accomplished?

Hey guys _ _ _ there is plenty of pictures in the forum illustrating some of my work that whoever insinuate that my hobby is only posting in the forum really need to re-evaluate his comments and remarks.

I do not intend to change the decalage from the original design as It is obvious that I do not see the usefulness of doing it. It is nice to see the model stabilize in a nice steady glide as I observed without having to guess what is the best trim to set. The nose attitude at altitude and the optimum gliding speed cannot be judged from the ground. I believe thay have been huilt into the design by people who are more experts than we are.

A great Holiday to all.

Zor
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:51 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,772 Posts
Quote:
skyhawk newbie,

Just enjoy the Radians whichever way, modified or not, you end up flying them.

Also enjoy the Holidays.

Zor
Exactly right. Who gives a crap what others do to their planes if they are not hurting anyone. I of course love to see and hear about the changes but even if a guy stuck a nitro motor on a Radian I'd be like, "ok, whatever floats his boat".

I personally am going to try Paul Naton's mentioned decalage mod simply because I never like the ballooning on throttle and I trust Paul's instincts (better as I have 3 of his DVDs ). In any case, it does fly great anyways as is so just fly whatever way you like.
rpstar is online now Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:54 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
It's actually quite easy, from reading posts in the past, I can tell that certain posters have nothing of value to add, they simply enjoy posting. Thereafter, I need waste no time on them.

Everyone needs a hobby, mine is building and flying model aircraft, not writing about them.
I agree with you tkallev _ _ _

There is nohing of value to add if the posting has already been done.

If you were spending a bit more time reading the forum and this thread, you would find that many subjects are repeatedly brought up by people asking the same question again and again.

Like you they likely spend their hobby time building and flying with little time to read the forum.

If you did spend more time reading this forum you would find multiple posting of my hobby work accompanied with a multitude of posted pictures.

Zor
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:18 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
rpstar,

All is needed is a fixed amount of trim prior to launching.

Re-trim to neutral once at altitude.

Zor
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:23 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
rpstar,

All is needed is a fixed amount of trim prior to launching.

Re-trim to neutral once at altitude.

Zor
true....
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:04 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Heavens, this thread has hit rock bottom . Please don't feed the troll people.... (not talking about you Sean )...
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1