Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:02 PM
Indy
Joined Aug 2007
62 Posts
If you want a low-tech solution buy some LEDs from an electronic store such as radio shack and some 3V watch batteries (keep these away from small children).

Put a watch battery between the two LED wires so that long wire is touching the positive side and the shorter wire is touching the negative side. The LED will now be lit, wrap some tape around it to secure the wires and you are done.

Easy!
12ten is offline Find More Posts by 12ten
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:15 PM
United States, ID, Ketchum
Joined Dec 2003
1,187 Posts
Yeah, I have those type by the dozen, I'm looking for the HIGH intensity ones that will strobe - requiring a simple circuit. An actual strobe (Zenon bulb?) would probably be best...
QuietRiot is offline Find More Posts by QuietRiot
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
Indy
Joined Aug 2007
62 Posts
the battery trick will work with the higher intensity LEDs as well and you could build a simple flasher circuit with a handful of resistors and capacitors.

there are some super bright LEDs but they draw more power and require heat sinks.

i have a BlinkM on mine but you need an arduino board to program it.

maybe you could get a cheap bicycle/jogger safety strobe and just use that.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,187 Posts
Bicycle strobe - hmmmm sounds like an easy solution, thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 06:30 PM
Rugby
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
Just paint it
paul ace is offline Find More Posts by paul ace
Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:13 PM
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ten
If you want a low-tech solution buy some LEDs from an electronic store such as radio shack and some 3V watch batteries (keep these away from small children).
SOO true! I remember when my son was 2, he had a flashlight pen. We woke him after nap time one afternoon, and the pen was in pieces, and no batteries to be seen. We asked him where they were, and he said "in mouf eat it". After several hours in the hospital waiting room we were presented with an XRay showing 3 little dots in his stomach. I spent the next 3 days sifting through poo to make sure they came through without rupturing. Fortunately all was well, but the pen never worked the same after that.

A friend of ours had their kid shove one of these up their nose, and it ruptured, and burnt through her nose linings. Yowch!

As they say, "'nuff said".

Back to the planes... any electronics store will sell simple flasher circuits. Just whack a high intensity led into the circuit, and maybe point it at a white part of the underwing, so you can see it from any angle.
surfdabbler is offline Find More Posts by surfdabbler
Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul ace
Just paint it
Not acceptable solution for the reason I just explained...
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:16 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,091 Posts
No not really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRiot
Strobes are always a better choice for visability - the paint thing is a good idea but is still dependent on the ambient lighting. At dusk, all the paint schemes look the same from white to fucia and it's just a silouette - a bright strobe will solve a lot of these problems. So anyone know a good thread on this?
Sailplane pilots routinely fly at the very ragged edge of visibility, NOBODY is using this approach, it will not work. Painting the bottom of the wings works, as does reflective tape on the leading edge of the wings..

Now if you're into night flying...I suppose that's a different deal, but I don't fly if there are no thermals...

LED strobes ... that's a good one
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:56 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
Sailplane pilots routinely fly at the very ragged edge of visibility, NOBODY is using this approach, it will not work:
First of all, why fly on the ragged edge if it's not necessary. I always thought visability was a GOOD thing. And LOTS of pilots are using the strobe approach - scale and of course full scale because it's the best option for max visability. If paint was a better option, I think we'd see some mighty colorful Cessnas out there.
I've got a buddy I used to fly with who uses strobes on his helis religiously, he flys monster scale kits and takes no chances. The visability is amazing - works wonders even during the daytime and especially at dusk when it's hard to tell the heli's attitude.

btw, Full scale aircraft strobes are clearly visable in the daytime even at considerable distance.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:39 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Quote:
First of all, why fly on the ragged edge if it's not necessary. I always thought visability was a GOOD thing. And LOTS of pilots are using the strobe approach - scale and of course full scale because it's the best option for max visability. If paint was a better option, I think we'd see some mighty colorful Cessnas out there.
I've got a buddy I used to fly with who uses strobes on his helis religiously, he flys monster scale kits and takes no chances. The visability is amazing - works wonders even during the daytime and especially at dusk when it's hard to tell the heli's attitude.

btw, Full scale aircraft strobes are clearly visable in the daytime even at considerable distance.
This thread is about a sailplane, not scale Cessnas. So we are providing solutions that are useful for sailplanes. Since you are almost always looking up at the bottom of the plane, the contrast of the wings with the sky is the main objective.

Since you are flying on thermal lift, there needs to be sun out to provide that lift, so you are not likely to be flying much at dusk. Of course you are welcome to fly any time you like. And night flying can be fun.

Sailplane pilots work thermal lift. This lift moves with the wind. So it is not unusual for a plane of this size to be 1000 feet high and 1/2 mile out.

When I am flying my contest sailplanes, with 11 foot wing spans or 3.4 meters, I can get them up 2000+ feet and close to a mile out, when flying under contest conditions.

I have never seen a strobe on one of those planes. But it might be fun to try it. Of course you would need different colors to show the different points of the plane. I wonder if you could tell the difference between a red LED and a Blue LED at 1/2 mile out and 1000 feet high.

This is a very different style of flying from a scale power plane.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 10, 2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:57 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,187 Posts
Couldn't hurt to install, in fact I just completed one - 'bout the same lumens as a camera flash using a 7.4 lipo. Will install in the next few days and head for the clouds. I'll report back with the results - good or bad.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:19 PM
Indy
Joined Aug 2007
62 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't hurt to install, in fact I just completed one - 'bout the same lumens as a camera flash using a 7.4 lipo. Will install in the next few days and head for the clouds. I'll report back with the results - good or bad.
Cool. Glad to see you weren't discouraged by all the "help"
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:25 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Dan Im ashamed to say that I couldn't wait for the possiblity of a coupon (today I needed the distraction.. believe me) anyway...It's mine and in a box under my bed as I'm typing. Don't worry I think I got the one with the bent fuse and small scratch on the wing... so I'm sure yours will be $20 cheeper, pristine, straight as an arrow, have the ability to outclimb mine by at least 1 ft per second, and atually get tossed into the air at least a week before mine. Still I got it first.........hee hee hee..

BTW visiblity, who needs lights or refector tape when ya got all this tinsle lying around doin nothin...
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Last edited by wingsnapper; Dec 10, 2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 05:22 AM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,091 Posts
Hehe very nice, sorry I missed your all, I'm on the road... and I don't know where that coupon is ... yet.

Get that thing together and give it a toss!
Old Dec 11, 2008, 05:34 AM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ten
Cool. Glad to see you weren't discouraged by all the "help"
Our comments not meant to discourage, infact, we're trying to offer advice learned from years of experience. Trust me, when you hook up with a thermal, and climb from 10 feet to 1000, without a motor, you'll get what drives this part of the hobby.

The reason we sailplane junkies are so excited about the radian is two fold;
First, because it flys so well, it's a great airplane to take out and fly at lunch, no fuss, no muss with very good performance

second, it will serve as an excellent introduction to SOARING for those of us who see it as a priority to attract new blood to our hobby.

You won't see sailplane pilots doing acro with this thing, the motor is nothing more then a replacement for a highstart or winch. Bottom line, at least for soaring junkies, it's all about finding lift, that is our context....