Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic View Post
I got my GPS from here. Works great.

http://www.magtechinc.net/SkyTraceGPS.htm
Looks like it is currently out of production.

http://www.magtechinc.net/purchase.htm

Curtis
suseuser is offline Find More Posts by suseuser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:39 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,935 Posts
Radians CAN compete with the big boys!

This past weekend the Polecat/Soaring Circuits ALES 2 day contest was held in Carlisle, PA. There were e-Supras, Pulsars, Gracias, Thermic XXL's, Topazs, and various other 3m+ ships and of course, quite a few Radians. After two days of competition with 27 pilots, Radians took 3 of the top 10 spots, the highest being 6th place. On Sunday alone, Radians took 1st and 5th place!

Two of the pilots had never flown an R/C airplane of any kind before 5 months ago and they did really well, had a great time, learned a heck of a lot, and asked if they could sign up for next year already. The point of this is that if you've ever thought about trying a soaring competition, don't let inexperience or the fact that you "only" have a Radian stop you.

You can see some pictures in our contest thread starting here.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:05 PM
I ain't afraid of no highs
Spain
Joined Jun 2008
459 Posts
a list of spanish RC shops online

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan23 View Post
pilottube,
Can you tell me where you bought your Radian from in Spain? I have been looking online but have been unable to find one here.

Gracias,
Artisan.
k tal artisan, I bought mine here:

http://www.mercadorc.es/epages/ea868...0DSM2%20RTF%22
now is out of stock but luckily I had this other link in favorites:

http://maxiracing.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2084

and here is a list of all the spanish RC shops that I've found:
http://www.losalcotanes.com/ElClub/E...S/Default.aspx
pilottube is offline Find More Posts by pilottube
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:11 PM
LIVE TO FLY, FLY TO LIVE!
Joined May 2009
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
Looks like it is currently out of production.

http://www.magtechinc.net/purchase.htm

Curtis
Have a look at this one...http://www.bedoxinc.com/cagtusbgpstr.html
This is the one that JumpySticks recommends and will probably be the one that I order.
got lift? is offline Find More Posts by got lift?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:12 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,078 Posts
Can the Radian Really be this good?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8433
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:54 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
The Radian really is that good, in fact the upcoming Fresno ALES will have the Radians and Pro's flying against only like kind. Biggest problem flying ALES with a Radian as I see it is getting it on the ground anywhere near the tape. They just want to float so much.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jun 29, 2011, 02:30 PM
Spain, Aragón, Huesca
Joined Apr 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilottube View Post
k tal artisan, I bought mine here:

http://www.mercadorc.es/epages/ea868...0DSM2%20RTF%22
now is out of stock but luckily I had this other link in favorites:

http://maxiracing.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2084

and here is a list of all the spanish RC shops that I've found:
http://www.losalcotanes.com/ElClub/E...S/Default.aspx
Gracias pilottube.
I am aware of some of those online shops. I will check the others and perhaps add a few to my favourites.

Really looking for a Radian PNP - I don't need RTF

Artisan
artisan23 is offline Find More Posts by artisan23
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:37 PM
Joined Nov 2009
101 Posts
ADVICE NEEDED

I've on my 3rd Radian fuselage. They warp easily after several slightly rough landings and the plane never flys right again. It took me a long time to reduce the problem down to this. My question is, on my latest rebuild I bought some carbon fiber rods. Do they go into the fuselage in a groove with the edge in, or just flat against the surface>
Qualo Kabrigne is offline Find More Posts by Qualo Kabrigne
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualo Kabrigne View Post
ADVICE NEEDED

I've on my 3rd Radian fuselage. They warp easily after several slightly rough landings and the plane never flys right again. It took me a long time to reduce the problem down to this. My question is, on my latest rebuild I bought some carbon fiber rods. Do they go into the fuselage in a groove with the edge in, or just flat against the surface>
There's a lot of discussion in this thread about the flexible fuselage. I think you will get the added rigidity either way. But a simpler approach (IMO) is to just epoxy some tow along side the fuselage as shown in this clip by another Radianite with the same problem. Since you have already bought the rod you probably would prefer to go ahead and use that. It will do the job but it will be a little more work if you cut a groove. It's best to go all the way from the back of the wing slot to pretty much the end of the fuselage. Do take a look at the vid on youtube for clues .
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:53 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,078 Posts
Quote:
ADVICE NEEDED

Warp in the fuselage would not be the result of a crash. What you are describing is compression in some part of the fuselage due to an impact. The solution is well documented.

Look at the fuselage and determine where the foam is compressed. This will be the side the fuse bends toward. You just have to find the specific area.

Now, using very hot, almost boiling water, you pour this on the compressed area. The heat of the water expands the gasses in the foam beads which will then expand the foam and take out the compression.

While you are pouring the water you want to bend the fuse toward the direction you want it to move. This may take two people. Usually bending it a little past straight will be best, then stop the hot water and hold it there while it cools. Your fuse should be much improved. You may need to do this several times.

This has been referred to as Elapor soup as it was made popular with the Easy Glider and Easy Star when Multiplex came out with the Elapor foam planes.

If you bend the fuse, you need to bend it back.

Of course the best approach is to not crash.

Once you straighten it out, if you want to add some carbon, making it heavier, proceed as you wish. But get it straight first.

What are you doing that you are crashing the Radian so hard. This is an extremely stable ship with very gentle handling.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,441 Posts
Quote:
ADVICE NEEDED

I am another that does not believe a crash can warp a fuselage, but they can warp due to heat, careless storage and other things. I hanger mine between flights in a simple jig that attempts to keep the fuselage aligned and the tail plane parallel with the wings.

I am a bit confused about your reinforcement idea because I think of a tube as not having edges, so don't know what you mean by "edge in". I am guessing however that you are thinking of cutting a groove for a round tube to lay in, vs gluing it to the surface. I prefer the groove because it is stronger and cleaner. It is fairly easy to cut one. Use a steel rule to guide a sharp new Xacto blade, making a shallow V-shaped groove that will let the tube lay with the top flush with the surface. Glue it in with white Gorilla Glue, being careful not to use too much because it foams up, but you can wipe off the excess before it dries. Cover it with a strip of white vinyl tape for a finished look.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:03 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I am another that does not believe a crash can warp a fuselage, but they can warp due to heat, careless storage and other things. I hanger mine between flights in a simple jig that attempts to keep the fuselage aligned and the tail plane parallel with the wings.

I am a bit confused about your reinforcement idea because I think of a tube as not having edges, so don't know what you mean by "edge in". I am guessing however that you are thinking of cutting a groove for a round tube to lay in, vs gluing it to the surface. I prefer the groove because it is stronger and cleaner. It is fairly easy to cut one. Use a steel rule to guide a sharp new Xacto blade, making a shallow V-shaped groove that will let the tube lay with the top flush with the surface. Glue it in with white Gorilla Glue, being careful not to use too much because it foams up, but you can wipe off the excess before it dries. Cover it with a strip of white vinyl tape for a finished look.
Good recommendation.

My Radian lives in the box it came in.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:52 AM
I ain't afraid of no highs
Spain
Joined Jun 2008
459 Posts
The box where the plane come is very good, everything fits perfectly, even the Dx5e.
I was assembling the tail and I've realised that, when I center it, the pushrod bends to one side, is that normal? I haven't taped the tail yet in place.
Also can I press tight the connector or maybe the pushrod will broke?
pilottube is offline Find More Posts by pilottube
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:15 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,441 Posts
Don't worry about the bend in the elevator push rod. That is normal. Some people however relocate the control horn closer to the fuselage to reduce the angle. If you do that be careful to get it mounted so that the holes where the rod attaches are directly aligned with the hinge line.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:22 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,078 Posts
You can put a spacer/support under the push rod to smooth out that curve from the fuse to the rudder control horn.
Last edited by aeajr; Jun 30, 2011 at 07:28 AM.