HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:56 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I don't think you will notice any effect on the CG, at least I don't. What you will notice, depending on the weight you use is lack of the float feel, but if the wind is strong enough it will still float.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:54 PM
nph
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
I went to Lowes and got a small stainless rod to fit inside the normal wing joiner, isn't that what you do for getting more weight to handle wind better?
Do you guys replace it completely with a metal rod instead of putting a small one inside?

Would also be grateful for some links on where can I find some good reading on how to trim the Radian?
nph is offline Find More Posts by nph
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:54 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
nph, put the metal rod inside the wing rod. I prefer to put a just a bit smaller rod than the inside diameter of the wing rod. That means you need to cut it to a shorter lenght than the wing rod. Then I cut a piece of wood dowel for each end that makes the assembly the same length as the wing rod. That way the weight stays over the center line of the plane as much as it can.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:35 AM
Joined Mar 2011
109 Posts
Hi there does anyone know where to buy the Parkzone Radian in UK/Europe? Loads of place seem to be out of stock Have they stopped supplying these? Hopefully not for such a great bird. If possible does anyone know where to buy the BNF or PNP version. But I would buy the RTF version if I had to!
desodon is offline Find More Posts by desodon
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:50 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desodon View Post
Hi there does anyone know where to buy the Parkzone Radian in UK/Europe? Loads of place seem to be out of stock Have they stopped supplying these? Hopefully not for such a great bird. If possible does anyone know where to buy the BNF or PNP version. But I would buy the RTF version if I had to!

Radian RTF - $250

Radian PnP - $160

Difference $90

What do you get for $90

Receiver - $60
Battery - $24

total $84

what else

Charger - $25?
Dx5e - $60

$85

Now, if you have a pile of receivers and batteries and chargers and a spare radio or buddy box. Then maybe the RTF is not worth the difference. But if you are fairly new and will be buying more batteries and receivers then the RTF is a good deal.

Having another charger never hurts.

A spare radio as a buddy box, simulator box or to help get a friend started is a great thing to have. Or you can use it to fly spektrum based BnF if you are not using Spektrum radios.

Overall the RTF is a very good value.

I can't help you with Europe, but wanted to point out that the RTF is the best deal IF you are going to be flying spektrum 2.4.

You get the battery $25, receiver $50
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:39 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
945 Posts
Quote:
If I had it to do again I would have bought the RTF version. I already have a Spektrum TX and a battery charger. But, I didn't have an extra RX. I would have come out ahead if I just bought the RTF and sold the DX5i and charger in the classifieds section.
There seem to be plenty of Radians around. Amazon even stocks them.

Curtis
suseuser is online now Find More Posts by suseuser
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:14 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Just had to throw a quick note down...
I haven't gotten to fly in months due to weather and just being busy, but I did get to go fly the Radian yesterday. Managed a 54 minute continuous flight with only 1.25 minutes of throttle! I just kept smiling the entire time. No plane or helicopter has ever given me the joy this Radian has. I love this thing!

just wanted to share.
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:41 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
Just had to throw a quick note down...
I haven't gotten to fly in months due to weather and just being busy, but I did get to go fly the Radian yesterday. Managed a 54 minute continuous flight with only 1.25 minutes of throttle! I just kept smiling the entire time. No plane or helicopter has ever given me the joy this Radian has. I love this thing!

just wanted to share.
I feel the same way about mine. My second glider flight ever lasted an hour and fifteen minutes with about two minutes of motor run time. Been hooked ever since.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jun 07, 2011, 04:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
113 Posts
Shop with stock

Quote:
Hi, I bought mine two weeks ago and was back in the shop at weekend and they had stock. It's Steve Webb Models in Frodsham near Chester. They had the Rtf on the Web for 150.00 rtf and also do mail order. can't fault this glider. This was my first purchase from this shop and they have been really helpful so I bought a new heli of them at weekend.
Best of luck
Chris.
zippyshutt is offline Find More Posts by zippyshutt
Old Jun 08, 2011, 03:34 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyshutt View Post
Hi, I bought mine two weeks ago and was back in the shop at weekend and they had stock. It's Steve Webb Models in Frodsham near Chester. They had the Rtf on the Web for 150.00 rtf and also do mail order. can't fault this glider. This was my first purchase from this shop and they have been really helpful so I bought a new heli of them at weekend.
Best of luck
Chris.
Steve Webb's , Must me one of the longest model shops open...

I use to shop there 20 years ago,when I worked for ICI in Runcorn..

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Jun 08, 2011, 07:55 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Oct 2005
222 Posts
Yes the Radian is a good buy. I briefly considered the V2 but decided against it. I love a 45 minute flight when I need it. I've also added a few lights and now the locals seem the think it's a UFO. Imagine that :-D

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/Arl...ort_Worth.html

Ufo in Arlington, Tx on May 25th, 2010 (4 min 15 sec)
Philld is offline Find More Posts by Philld
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:31 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,624 Posts
Some nice ridge soaring over Jockey's Ridge at Nags Head, North Carolina a few weeks ago.

Radian over Jockey's Ridge State Park Sand Dunes (3 min 47 sec)
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:28 PM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philld View Post
Yes the Radian is a good buy. I briefly considered the V2 but decided against it. I love a 45 minute flight when I need it. I've also added a few lights and now the locals seem the think it's a UFO. Imagine that :-D

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/Arl...ort_Worth.html

http://youtu.be/jrUIEHwordU
This is hilarious. I need to put my light kit back on my Radian now that summer's here, and do some night flying. I wish my FPV camera was good enough in low light for night, but it isn't.
jfflyer is offline Find More Posts by jfflyer
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:38 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
Some nice ridge soaring over Jockey's Ridge at Nags Head, North Carolina a few weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvprV67kqYc
So, were you just slope soaring? Or did you have to motor it around? I'm just curious.

Curtis
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:09 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
945 Posts
The reason I asked about the dunes is I have one located not too far from my house.

http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/...statepark.aspx

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...0.002,44.993,0

I have gone out there on several occasions to spend time at the observatory, climb the dunes and swim in the lake. Really cool area. According to the Parks Dept. it states the dune is 470' at the highest point.
Now I'm not to sure if I would want to pack the Radian to the top. It is one heck of a climb and the wind is insane out there.

Curtis