HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:42 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
I use 1300mah 25C 3S up to 2550 3S 40C batteries in my Radian. The heavey ones help when it is really gusting outside. The lighter ones are of course better for thermaling. I don't notice a big difference in CG when I change out the batteries. Just a couple clicks of trim really.
+1 I've even used 950s. It really floats then.
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:48 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
I had my first scare with the Radian today. Today I had beautiful blue skies. The wind was gusty in a good way. You know, the good kind of wind that comes from one general direction but keeps going past in a swirling sort of motion. I took it out to my new favorite spot. For the first 1/2 hr or so it was pretty disappointing. I would get up to a couple hundred feet, then gently come back down after about 15 min. Not geat, but nothing awful either.

Then boom it keep going up and up and away. I'm not kidding when I'm telling you I looked down to see if I bumped the throttle! In a matter of minutes it was almost specked out. I figured I'd keep flying straight and I'd end up going through and out the other side of the thermal. And sure enough I got a little sink as I continued straight ahead. Then wham! Up I would go again even higher than before. It was weird. It was as if there were "waves" of lift coming at me? Not like a normal thermal that you would circle. Pretty soon the Radians black tips on the end of the wings were about the size of a period on this page. I was about to loose it.

I immediately started pulling loop after loop. I figured I'd just bleed off some altitude. The I could fly at a more reasonable altitude. I got it down a few hundred feet. But sure enough as soon as I leveled out up it would go up like a rocket again. Back to the loop routine again, but this time I wasn't loosing any significant altitude. On the end of one of the loops I came out inverted hoping that this would help. All that did was loose orientation on the Radian. Now I couldn't tell, which direction I was traveling or which side was up.
Now things were getting real serious I'd lost sight of the wing tips and could just barely see a white dot against the sky. As a last resort I pulled full up elevator and full right rudder and held it there. I was hoping to get it into a stall/spin situation. And after a few minutes of death-grip on the controls I saw a flicker of color. I was half expecting to see the wings fluttering to the ground. Anyway, I wasn't going to let go of those controls until I was sure it was about a hundred feet from the ground.

I got on approach at about 20 feet above the ground. The wind was blowing pretty hard so it just hung in the air. Then sure as heck, up it went again!!! I finally told myself, "enough of this crap". And I pointed her nose down and just about drove it into the ground. After I changed my diaper, I pulled the wings off and it went straight in the back of the truck. True story. Well all except the part about messing my pants.

Curtis
suseuser is offline Find More Posts by suseuser
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:17 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,337 Posts
Kinda gets your attention eh. I had a similar experience but not quite so extreme. The full up, full right (or left) is the way to go to kill altitude without undue stress on the airframe.

Now mount up and do it again.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:55 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
I was little more than scared. I came right home and put my contact info in and on the Radian.
I just came back from round 2. The wind really got nasty. My anemometer was showing a steady 15mph with gusts up to 28 mph. I got it up a couple times. But, it wasn't pleasant. The wings were flexing really bad and rudder control was all but nonexistent. And it was impossible to keep it up wind. If it was a non motorized Sailplane I would have had to walk a good 1/4 mile down wind to pick it up. And that assumes I would have been able to see where it came down.

Curtis
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:04 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
If you are going to fly in those wind speeds you need to put a steel rod in the wing tube. You need to penetrate the wind. Try 4 oz or if the wind is up above 20, 6 oz.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jun 02, 2011, 08:46 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
If you are going to fly in those wind speeds you need to put a steel rod in the wing tube. You need to penetrate the wind. Try 4 oz or if the wind is up above 20, 6 oz.
Since I'm new to the Radian. This is the first chance I've had to fly it in high-wind conditions. I really shouldn't have had any planes out flying. It was just an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't have flown it at all, except my 2 year old grand daughter was there. She keep saying, "plane, plane!". And would put her arms out pretending to fly. The wind was blowing so hard that wings were squeaking like a mouse caught by a cat. And the tail feathers and fuse were getting bent all out of shape. It was all I could do to keep the Radian from being ripped from my hands.

This was the first time I actually had to "motor" back. I couldn't trade enough altitude for speed to get the Radian within hiking distance. The wind gusts were killing me. It was like throwing a feather into the wind. It's not something I'm likely to do again.
Luckily, I came to my senses and invited the Grand Kids over to watch Shawn the Sheep. Then give them a couple Pepsi Max's, some cookies and sent them home with their mom.

Curtis
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:57 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
Since I'm new to the Radian. This is the first chance I've had to fly it in high-wind conditions. I really shouldn't have had any planes out flying. It was just an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't have flown it at all, except my 2 year old grand daughter was there. She keep saying, "plane, plane!". And would put her arms out pretending to fly. The wind was blowing so hard that wings were squeaking like a mouse caught by a cat. And the tail feathers and fuse were getting bent all out of shape. It was all I could do to keep the Radian from being ripped from my hands.

This was the first time I actually had to "motor" back. I couldn't trade enough altitude for speed to get the Radian within hiking distance. The wind gusts were killing me. It was like throwing a feather into the wind. It's not something I'm likely to do again.
Luckily, I came to my senses and invited the Grand Kids over to watch Shawn the Sheep. Then give them a couple Pepsi Max's, some cookies and sent them home with their mom.

Curtis
You've got "Shawn the Sheep" over there as well . .

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:24 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
You've got "Shawn the Sheep" over there as well . .

Yep. I've seen it over and over.....

Curtis
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Aug 2005
47 Posts
[QUOTE= Then give them a couple Pepsi Max's, some cookies and sent them home with their mom.

Curtis[/QUOTE]

Now that's cruel!http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/im...es/biggrin.gif
gjhaycraft is offline Find More Posts by gjhaycraft
Old Jun 03, 2011, 01:52 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,026 Posts
"RedBull" Would give them Wings . .
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:20 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
Update; I adjusted the Knife Edge Tuning to 85% under fine tuning and now the Phoenix model, using the above setting, is even closer to realism.
Eves and i worked hard on getting the radian (in various versions and a pro) right for rcdeskpilot sim. People might Also want to try it in this free sim - they won't be dissappointed.

Fred
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:34 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Hawks don't like Radians

In an earlier post I stated that it was nice of a hawk to show me where some lift is located. Apparently When there are two of them they are not so friendly!

I figured I would be the first one to cause the first damage to the plane. At first I thought the Hawks were just interested in the Radian. Until I heard a "thump, thump". I'm thinking what the .
Needless to say Hawks are a lot faster and more agile than the Radian.

This morning I had specked out a couple times. And one of those times the Hawks must have felt that invaded their territory. Because they made a B-line for the plane and chased it all the way to the ground. I thought for sure they were going to tear a wing off! They were screeching and pecking all the way down. I guess I was lucky that they didn't get a good grip on the wing.

Curtis
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:44 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
This time of year they have chicks and are just plain cranky. Plus they are showoffs.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:07 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
I never thought about that. I tried to find a peaceful part of the sky. And give them some breathing room. I also figured if I dropped a couple hundred feet maybe they would leave me alone. I traveled a good a 1/4 mile in all directions and apparently they owned the whole sky. You would be amazed at how long it takes to come down from about 1000'. I waited about 15 minutes for them to clear out. Then I took her up again.

This time in the opposite direction. And sure enough from a good 1/4 mile off they were on their way to visit me again. From the Hawks vantage point the Radian was at least 1/2 a mile a way.
It was kind of a bummer because I was catching thermals all over the place. I got about two hours of flying time before the Hawks asked me to depart. It's ashamed because I had a lot of battery left. I got home put it on the charger and it took 37 min @ 1.3 amps to get it charged.

Now that I look back on it. I wonder if they would have left the Radian alone if I would have turned on the motor? At the time I was wanting to get down ASAP. So I had it in a death spiral. This actually seemed to stop the attacks. I heard that loops are a good way to escape an attack. I didn't find that to be true.

Curtis
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:07 PM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
jfflyer is offline Find More Posts by jfflyer