Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:46 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild
Any tips on getting velcro to stick to the wing without fear of it peeling off? I do have some industrial strength velcro that I use in other RC applications but never tried it on foam. Just wondering if it will stick and stay put well with just a single strip. I guess I could gorilla glue it to the wing
it depends, have yo painted the wing. If so it might peel of easier and it wont stick back on because the paint will be on the stick part. But if its not painted im sure it will be fine.
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2009, 04:03 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
Quote:
Any tips on getting velcro to stick to the wing without fear of it peeling off? I do have some industrial strength velcro that I use in other RC applications but never tried it on foam. Just wondering if it will stick and stay put well with just a single strip. I guess I could gorilla glue it to the wing
One has to ask how much weight per sq in you plan to attach.

A common approach with foam is to use a contact cement, like 3M 77 spray. You can make a mask, so only the size and shape area you wish to spray is affected. Let it get tacky, about 5 minutes. Then apply your self adheasive velcro. Once you do this, that baby should be stuck pretty good.

The spray glue gets into all the nooks can crannies, like butter on an English muffin. 3M 77 is often used on foam for this purpose.

As a general note, if you use this for external attachment at any time, just make sure you use a large enough piece of Velcro for the weight you plan to attach. In flight forces will be greater than for the wing sitting in your hand. so take that into account.

Also make sure the edges are well stuck as attach and detach will try to pull the edges up so watch for that.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:52 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,602 Posts
Quote:
I have not painted my wings and have the same patches attached since day one many months ago. I use Extreme Velcro from Lowes on everything. Even small chunks on my micro batteries on Vapor, mSR and Sukhoi. Works great. On the Radian it holds my 4oz Sony Webbie firmly.

Allen
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:19 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Quote:

You already have answers, but here's mine....

I always attach Velcro to foam (or balsa) with hot glue. It's a dickens to pull back off of the foam so I would suggest that it will hold a camera to the plane just fine. Hot glue isn't as messy as Gorilla Glue.

And now you guys have me starting to think about getting one of those "Webbie" things, too.

Thermals to you

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:32 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
The Webbie is right at 10 sq inches and weighs right at 4 ounces, so very low weight per sq inch.

I have painted the underside of my wings, but an earlier poster said he has better results in flight with it mounted on top of the wing so I will probably try that. The Webbie has a rotating head with the lens so placement won't be an issue to get the camera angles that I'd like.

I'm thinking now of some way to strap the camera on in addition to the velcro, to keep it from shifting and possibly working loose the hook from loop sides. Maybe I need to look at that hard plastic velco-like stuff that snaps together, no shifting around with that stuff.

Thanks for all the help, UPS shows my Webbie out for delivery so I should have something going in the next few days. Rain rolls in tonight for the next few days of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
One has to ask how much weight per sq in you plan to attach.

A common approach with foam is to use a contact cement, like 3M 77 spray. You can make a mask, so only the size and shape area you wish to spray is affected. Let it get tacky, about 5 minutes. Then apply your self adheasive velcro. Once you do this, that baby should be stuck pretty good.

The spray glue gets into all the nooks can crannies, like butter on an English muffin. 3M 77 is often used on foam for this purpose.

As a general note, if you use this for external attachment at any time, just make sure you use a large enough piece of Velcro for the weight you plan to attach. In flight forces will be greater than for the wing sitting in your hand. so take that into account.

Also make sure the edges are well stuck as attach and detach will try to pull the edges up so watch for that.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,602 Posts
Quote:
The Webbie is right at 10 sq inches and weighs right at 4 ounces, so very low weight per sq inch.

I have painted the underside of my wings, but an earlier poster said he has better results in flight with it mounted on top of the wing so I will probably try that. The Webbie has a rotating head with the lens so placement won't be an issue to get the camera angles that I'd like.

I'm thinking now of some way to strap the camera on in addition to the velcro, to keep it from shifting and possibly working loose the hook from loop sides. Maybe I need to look at that hard plastic velco-like stuff that snaps together, no shifting around with that stuff.
I doubt it could ever wiggle loose from Extreme Velcro. I have a large patch top and bottom of left wing about 2 inches out from root. Considering a velcro sandwich concept based on a mounting technique I read. One guy uses Dr. Scholl's type squishy blue rubber to mount cameras. Says it reduces oscillation vibration. So, am thinking about gluing a square of that to the wing, then adding velcro to that if it sticks.

Video runs all the time but my current location has the props in the way so I just snag stills when she levels out on top. But, if I could get rid of the slight oscillation while the motor is running, then when I move out the wing farther with a pair of Webbie's, the video will be smooooth.

Also thought of mounting a pair to my Stryker way out on the wing over the CG and just cut viewing holes for straight down. Maybe a little wind deflector in front of it. Then I could blast off to 500 feet, chop the power and glide around filming, then shoot over to a new spot at 90mph.

Going to have to get another one now.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:46 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Here it is mounted, seems very secure. I would have preferred mounting to the leading edge rather than trailing for weight distribution concerns, but the wing slope doesn't allow as much velcro contact there. Also I feel like it might affect the airflow over the wing more if the camera were extended over and above the leading edge.

Most likely grounded today due to weather Will try for an afternoon flight if things clear up and the wind slows down.. I'm not willing to put this up in questionable conditions with the first time under a new load.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
Most likely grounded today due to weather Will try for an afternoon flight if things clear up and the wind slows down.. I'm not willing to put this up in questionable conditions with the first time under a new load.

Suggestion:

Instead of a first flight with the expensive camera, why not substitute a block of wood of the same weight. You could then give the Radian a good "shake out" flight that would test the gripping power of the Velcro.

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:09 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Frog - that's far too logical of a process

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:19 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Here it is mounted, seems very secure. I would have preferred mounting to the leading edge rather than trailing for weight distribution concerns, but the wing slope doesn't allow as much velcro contact there. Also I feel like it might affect the airflow over the wing more if the camera were extended over and above the leading edge.

Does not affect the airflow anymore having it on the TE vs. the LE. Having it centered over the CG is more of an issue for me. No juggling things when I take the camera off. And, it only needs a small surface area for a good grip. If using Extreme Velcro, its not going anywhere.

Starting to design in my head the positions for mounting two Webbies further out on the wing and pointing down for stereo viewing.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
Joined Sep 2009
35 Posts
Angular size.

the radian has a wing span of 78.8 inches, if yur fling distance is 1700 ft(20400 In) the angular size of the radian wingspan is .22104 degrees.

In comparison at .22104 deg a BB at .177 in. placed 45.87 in. away from your eye wil have the same apparent size of the radian wingspan.
kjs1961 is offline Find More Posts by kjs1961
Old Sep 17, 2009, 02:29 PM
Joined Sep 2009
35 Posts
sorry im so out of date with this. Im still waiting on my radian cathing up on reading this tread I found this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSt
Wow !,, do you use binoculars or a telescope ?

How big is the plane at ~1500 feet up ?

I tried to use this calculator, but couldn't figure out what to input :

http://www.1728.com/angsize.htm
the radian has a wing span of 78.8 inches, if yur fling distance is 1700 ft(20400 In) the angular size of the radian wingspan is .22104 degrees.

In comparison at .22104 deg a BB at .177 in. placed 45.87 in. away from your eye wil have the same apparent size of the radian wingspan.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 03:20 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
A rubber band works well too.
And, it has extra feature built in, you can use the band to hold the prop in folded position for storage and transportation.

Do slip the band of the prop before turning the motor on though, or it can get real exciting!

I just slide the band back onto the fuselage (or what's left of it ), when I want to remove the canopy, and slide it more forward when finished flying/crashing.

Keep a few spares on hand, since the sharp edges of the prop will cut the band.
The bands the postal department scatters along the sidewalk are perfect for this use.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:40 PM
Joined Sep 2009
35 Posts
Radian should be at the lhs today.

My Radian should be at the shop today, and I hope I'm back in town tomorrow to pick it up.

Been reading this thread all the way through, you guys should get together and write a how to e-book for the bird. I've really learned a lot from all your posts.

Lets see if I've got everything.

Out of the box while charging the battery.

1. Upgrade the the stock prop with a Aeronaut 11x6 or Graupner 10X8

2. Reinforce and straiten the fuselage with cf rod or strip.
Plan to reinforce wing slot shoulder with CF, packing tape, or toothpicks.
Plan to replace stock spar tube with CF tube.
Plan to reinforce stock cowling cup with a disk cut from a cd.

3. Check and/or replace control horn connections.

4. Check security of control rods they sometime get loose.

5. CG Slightly aft for thermal and more control under powered assent.
ON CG Ballast for better wind handling (Steel rod in spar tube).

6. Magnets, velcro, or ruberbands to secure hatch, tail and wings.

7. Paint or cover lower wing surface with high vis paint or stickers this babby gets high fast .

8. Lawn chair, binoculars, and pick-nic lunch she may never come down.

9. Couple of trim tosses to dial her in.

10. Gentle toss, low power initial climb (may need some nose down), add power for fast climb rate (more nose down), full throttle = rocket (lot of nose down).

11. Crash her early and get a ding so not to worry so much about it, every one else has and survived, likely I will too.

12 Book trip to to see AussieJarrad for hovering lessons.

13. Go have fun.

That sound about right?
Jay
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:15 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,809 Posts
Jay,
Or you can do what I do. Out of the box stock PNP install receiver and a charged lipo and go fly. Never had a problem because I fly it like a sailplane and not a high speed whatever...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn