HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:32 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity
Ok guys, If i were to go and get another canopy, cut it so I could put my camera under it, and take vidoe with it would it work?
the camer weighs 8 oz, i will be able to get it so the heavies part is up next to the battery(the planes) I Will have to move the ESC to get it to sit under the canopy.
With this info. do you think it would work?
For 8oz, I could put a Webbie on each wing and shoot in stereo! Balance will be an issue...and where ya gonna put the battery? If it is too far forward, the props will hit it when it folds back. Either do a light FPV type camera and send it to the ground or invest in a Sony Webbie from Walmart and velcro it to the wing. Balances the same on or off.
AeroRecon is online now Find More Posts by AeroRecon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:34 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon
For 8oz, I could put a Webbie on each wing and shoot in stereo! Balance will be an issue...and where ya gonna put the battery? If it is too far forward, the props will hit it when it folds back. Either do a light FPV type camera and send it to the ground or invest in a Sony Webbie from Walmart and velcro it to the wing. Balances the same on or off.
Dang, now you have me thinking.... One on each wing, about 8 inches out with one pointing more forward, and one pointing more downward, and I could get every angle with one flyover. Sweet!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:35 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
How much is a sony webbie?
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Quote:
How much is a sony webbie?
I ordered one from Best Buy for $149.99 plus tax (free shipping) for this very purpose. From what I've read the Radian can handle the 4 oz of the Webbie without issue when mounting it under the wing near the fuse. I hope to have mine Wednesday so I'm looking forward to trying it out, and will definitely post back with my experiences with it.

-edit- I see that Walmart.com has it at $139.99 with free shipping and some stores carry it. None within 100 miles of me, but FYI.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:10 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Ok did some CG testing.
With stock setup the CG is located right on 3 inches
With the 8oz camera on it is 2 inches
What would I expexct to feel, or will it even fly?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:02 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Is that moving your battery and ESC as much as possible to compensate? If so, maybe a little ballast would help bring that COG back to where it started.

I don't think your current setup would prevent it from flying, but I do think 1" movement would be substantial in how it handles. Is that moving the COG towards the nose or tail?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:08 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
I actualy had the camera just sitting right next to the ESC;i had unstrapped it and put it vertical.
The CG moves forward Sorry
And yes the battery is in its stock reccommonded spot.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:01 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,153 Posts
Put some weight on the tail to balance the CG, at least if you want to thermal it.

Otherwise, It might fly, really fast fast with all the trim she has ......
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:27 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild
I ordered one from Best Buy for $149.99 plus tax (free shipping) for this very purpose. From what I've read the Radian can handle the 4 oz of the Webbie without issue when mounting it under the wing near the fuse. I hope to have mine Wednesday so I'm looking forward to trying it out, and will definitely post back with my experiences with it.

-edit- I see that Walmart.com has it at $139.99 with free shipping and some stores carry it. None within 100 miles of me, but FYI.
On the shelf at our walmarts for $149 last week. Have not looked this week. May just have to get another. I prefer mounting on top of the wing but I do have extreme velcro mounted on top and bottom.

Would be a great platform to shoot stereo photos with. Can't get a lot of distance between them but might be enough. Point the lens straight down and mount them just where the wings start to tip up to get just a little deflection. Then run the video from one of them, find the stills you want, mark the time and cut them at the same timestamp from the other camera. Hmmm, pretty cheap aerial survey platform.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:11 AM
TN
Joined Nov 2008
151 Posts
Quote:
David, how much ballast do you rhink you would need in say a ten MPH wind?
-COle
I found that a welding rod from Lowes fit nicely into the center spar and helped a lot in wind. Now I have more confidence I don't use it as much but it really helped with penetration into wind and with the size of that wing it was not a huge performance penalty. The advantage, as noted previously, is that the extra weight is right on the CG point so it doesn't adversely affect the handling.

Watch the power in the initial launch, it has a huge pitch up tendancy with full power. Since my blades failed I am really gentle on throttle changes as well!!

Andy
SimAndy is offline Find More Posts by SimAndy
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:26 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimAndy
I found that a welding rod from Lowes fit nicely into the center spar and helped a lot in wind. Now I have more confidence I don't use it as much but it really helped with penetration into wind and with the size of that wing it was not a huge performance penalty. The advantage, as noted previously, is that the extra weight is right on the CG point so it doesn't adversely affect the handling.

Watch the power in the initial launch, it has a huge pitch up tendancy with full power. Since my blades failed I am really gentle on throttle changes as well!!Andy
Ok thanks for the info.
To launch i normaly just put it on 1/3 throttel and gently throw and then its just common sense from there.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:50 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Ok just made a ballest system, what i did was I found this old piece of metal and put inside the spar, then cut up and old carbon arrow and made blockers so it dont move arond inside the spar.
spar and all it weights 5.20 oz, that should be good, Right?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:31 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,153 Posts
The thing about ballast....

Quote:
Ok just made a ballest system, what i did was I found this old piece of metal and put inside the spar, then cut up and old carbon arrow and made blockers so it dont move arond inside the spar.
spar and all it weights 5.20 oz, that should be good, Right?
The reason to add ballast is to increase speed so you can move around sky. To do so requires an appreciable increase in weight, as in 20% at a minimum, as high as 40%, which I can do with my Ava. The Radian stock all up weight is 30 oz. So at 5 oz you're at a good starting point, I'd suggest trying more. Fill that spar with the biggest hunk of steel you can fit in it and you'll add 12oz to 15 oz.

That said, it's not always about speed. Adding weight to a model that's too light is done to improve handling. This has been empirically and anecdotally proven with the Ava. Most, myself included, carry like 4 oz all the time. I would not apply that use case to the Radian...

Anyway, the point is, don't be afraid to load her up, when conditions warrant, you'll be glad you did, and you'll learn a lot.

Thermals from Big D....
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:41 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Ok, if you noticed, before i posted it was 777posts
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:45 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Quote:
On the shelf at our walmarts for $149 last week. Have not looked this week. May just have to get another. I prefer mounting on top of the wing but I do have extreme velcro mounted on top and bottom.

Would be a great platform to shoot stereo photos with. Can't get a lot of distance between them but might be enough. Point the lens straight down and mount them just where the wings start to tip up to get just a little deflection. Then run the video from one of them, find the stills you want, mark the time and cut them at the same timestamp from the other camera. Hmmm, pretty cheap aerial survey platform.

Any tips on getting velcro to stick to the wing without fear of it peeling off? I do have some industrial strength velcro that I use in other RC applications but never tried it on foam. Just wondering if it will stick and stay put well with just a single strip. I guess I could gorilla glue it to the wing