Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:01 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Jon enjoyed reading your Radian story's hope you have better luck in the future its a learning curve and you will get there in the end keep at it !

As for the connectors we were just talking about this few days back Jon this is the place i bought mine http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/..._linkages.html i always buy stuff of them, great web shop my DuBro Mini E/Z Connectors turned up yesterday and there much better than the stock ones, worth having the extra assurance for 2.50 ! Micron Radio customer service is also excellent ! nice to see some else from the UK on this thread don't give up mate
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:27 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
Are there any must-do mods that should be done right out of the box? Either know issues or problem areas?

Curtis
Nope, no must dos.

Darkening the bottom of the wings is highly recommended. If you take it out the first few times with the stock wing basically white underneath you will see what I mean. It is easy to lose sight of the wings above 1000 feet.

Completely darken the bottom. I used navy blue packing tape running from root to tip to do mine. Much more visable. May add a little strength too, but that is not the reason I did it.

While I have done nothing else, I will agree that the connector for the elevator pushrod is not super strong. I have had no problems but replacing it is not a bad idea.

I like a rubber band around the canopy. I had it pop off once. Plane flew find but it was a pain to find it.

Check all hinges of all surfaces on all the planes you will ever own every time you fly them, forever! And make sure they move in the right direction before you launch the first time each day.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:16 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Nope, no must dos.

Darkening the bottom of the wings is highly recommended. If you take it out the first few times with the stock wing basically white underneath you will see what I mean. It is easy to lose sight of the wings above 1000 feet.

Completely darken the bottom. I used navy blue packing tape running from root to tip to do mine. Much more visable. May add a little strength too, but that is not the reason I did it.

While I have done nothing else, I will agree that the connector for the elevator pushrod is not super strong. I have had no problems but replacing it is not a bad idea.

I like a rubber band around the canopy. I had it pop off once. Plane flew find but it was a pain to find it.

Check all hinges of all surfaces on all the planes you will ever own every time you fly them, forever! And make sure they move in the right direction before you launch the first time each day.
Thanks for the non-paranoid advice. Visibility is my first and foremost requirement. It makes it real hard to fly something you can't see. Well, I take that back. The first thing I do in all my planes is put a my Name, Phone number, Address, and the word REWARD in big letters. I hope I never have to use this mod.
I've noticed lots of posts on broken wing saddles. It's pretty obvious that that would be a weak area. I know this will sound stupid, by why in the heck did the put the wing in the middle of the fuse? It creates a big hole where there is a lot of stress? I'm sure there is an obvious reason.

Curtis
suseuser is offline Find More Posts by suseuser
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,441 Posts
The reason for the wing being where it is should be obvious. The space under it is needed for the servos and the receiver, and I think the designers wanted to keep those near the cg.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:21 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
The reason for the wing being where it is should be obvious. The space under it is needed for the servos and the receiver, and I think the designers wanted to keep those near the cg.
Still makes me wonder why they just didn't put the wing on top of the fuse like most other RC planes. That would have left even more room for electronics and kept the CG in the best location. Has worked for hundreds of planes for who knows how many years.

Curtis
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:26 AM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Still makes me wonder why they just didn't put the wing on top of the fuse like most other RC planes. That would have left even more room for electronics and kept the CG in the best location. Has worked for hundreds of planes for who knows how many years.

Curtis
My guess is that avoiding wing bolts or rubber bands was the motivation. It's nice to have a smooth airframe and not need to carry a screwdriver to put it together at the field.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:11 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:

Curtis
There must have been a reason why they designed it like this some one on here will know why i reckon.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:56 PM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:

Curtis
Actually most of the RE-only dihedral-wing foam electric gliders have this same style, it is very common. And I think most full scale gliders have the wings on the center of the fuse, but I don't know the engineering implications.
jfflyer is offline Find More Posts by jfflyer
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:42 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,343 Posts
The engineering implications are that it looks good.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:31 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
The engineering implications are that it looks good.
Now that sounds reasonable.

Curtis
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:02 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
I treed the Radian

The first undisputed crash today: I flew into a tree. It was blowing 15+ kts and the Radian flew fine until I had a sooner-than-planned end. I actually thought I was in front of the tree, but clearly, I wasn't. Fortunately, no damage other than a few scuffs on the leading edge and a bent horizontal stab (which I was about to replace anyway since the hinges wore out). My paint job needs a few touch-ups but held up nicely.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Last edited by TexasAggie; Apr 09, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:18 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
BTDT. I feel your pain. I had my little Mini Cub stuck so far up a tree that I didn't have an extension ladder long enough to get close to a branch I could climb on. And it was stuck in the middle of a thicket of branches. I ended up starting a thread a while back on how to get a plane out of a tree. In the end I used a hammer tied to some heavy contractor line and threw it over some of the branches. It took a long time and a lot of throws but I got it down. If that didn't work I was ready to go home and get my compound bow.

Curtis.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:20 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Me too, I would have sworn I was in front of the tree.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Lol, what a coincidence. Maybe this is a sign from the higher powers that I need to hang the Radian up for good. My first day taking it out since rebuilding it with a new fuse. Everything was going well until this little 3foot shrub that's out in the field suddenly SPRANG UP into a full grown tree right as I was flying over it!!!!

So now I gotta figure out a way to get it down. Well I keep a basketball in my trunk so I figure I could use that to get it out. First toss....

Yup...basketball stuck in the tree too. Wound up having to get a little rough with it cause it was caught pretty good, so I wound up breaking the tail getting it out.
But same deal with me, I guess my depth perception was off cause i was positive I was in front of the tree when it I hit it.
Chrscott22 is offline Find More Posts by Chrscott22
Last edited by Chrscott22; Apr 09, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:43 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Ouch. I got lucky hitting a nice leafy tree flying upwind so it just sort of sank in.

"Hand up the Radian for good"?? Don't speak such things on this thread.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie