Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:19 PM
United States, IN
Joined May 2008
237 Posts
I saw a head on pic of a hawk following a radian and can't find it now. does anybody remember this pic? It was an onboard pic from the rear of the radian. The hawk was right behind.

Thank's Marc 540
marc 540 is offline Find More Posts by marc 540
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,439 Posts
Thanks guys. I found the numbers on the HobbyPartz site.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:42 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Thanks guys. I found the numbers on the HobbyPartz site.
Cool. $10.00 seems like a pretty good deal on a battery. But, with about $9 shipping you would need to order a few of them to make it worth it.

Curtis
suseuser is offline Find More Posts by suseuser
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:00 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Hobbypartz has free shipping on anything over $25. BTW the Gens-Ace lipos are pretty good. Nice low Ri.
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:15 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Colin, the pitch response to throttle input has nothing to do with the correctness of the CG. It is a glider. The motor is just to get you up there.

After you get the plane trimmed as best as you are able try a dive test. From a few hundred feet up in level flight, power off, push the stick forward gently to induce a dive of around 30 degrees. Hold it for three to five seconds. then gently let the stick go back to neutral. If it pulls smoothly back up to level flight without porpoising your cg and trim are properly balanced. If it pitches up abruptly you are probably nose-heavy and are carrying too much elevator up-trim to compensate. If the nose tucks under it is tail-heavy and carrying too much down-trim.

Thanks Kapton! I believe it is still a bit nose heavy, and I think it will pitch up in the dive test... but I'm running down trim to get it flying nice at it's nice slow gliding speed. I wonder if maybe my entire tail is bent a bit up, giving me up elevator. Doesn't really matter - it was great for slowly cruising around. Is it time to go flying again yet?

Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:15 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Looks like you can get 2 of the Gens-Ace Lipos for the cost of one factory battery.
Since we are taking about after market batteries. What connectors are you using? Seems like the "Deans" are real popular. Or are you just staying with the stock (EC3?) connector?

Curtis
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:23 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
After trying to switch over to Deans and having a hell of a time trying to solder wires to those connectors, I decided to stick with the EC3s, which are easier (though not easy) to solder to. I'm using a Deans-to-EC3 converter cable for the batteries that need it. I'm sure plenty of people must like them, but I'm not among them.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:28 PM
♫ Learning to fly ♫
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
Looks like you can get 2 of the Gens-Ace Lipos for the cost of one factory battery.
Since we are taking about after market batteries. What connectors are you using? Seems like the "Deans" are real popular. Or are you just staying with the stock (EC3?) connector?

Curtis
I've not much for soldering so I've gone with Anderson Powerpoles. Had to spring for the crimper but sure is easier. I can change the ends on a battery in about a minute.
dataylor57 is offline Find More Posts by dataylor57
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:30 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataylor57 View Post
I've not much for soldering so I've gone with Anderson Powerpoles. Had to spring for the crimper but sure is easier. I can change the ends on a battery in about a minute.
I use those too but did solder them. Now I just take the new ones with me to my (not so) local hobby shop and they crimp them for me. Really needs high heat to get a flow in the thick wires so the crimping works great.
AeroRecon is online now Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:31 PM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
After trying to switch over to Deans and having a hell of a time trying to solder wires to those connectors, I decided to stick with the EC3s, which are easier (though not easy) to solder to. I'm using a Deans-to-EC3 converter cable for the batteries that need it. I'm sure plenty of people must like them, but I'm not among them.
I convert everything to EC3, I like them much better than Deans. It takes about 5 minutes to put one on a new battery. I also have peace of mind that all my solder joints are solid, I've had a factory one fail before after flexing for a while, and it crashed a plane.
jfflyer is offline Find More Posts by jfflyer
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,439 Posts
I do not like Deans connectors because they require that you make lap joints to attach the leads. Lap joints are about the worst way t make a solder joint. It is hard to hold the wire in place and the joint is weak. I know some people have come up with clever ways to do it but there are better connectors. Most of my batteries are from Hobby King. I got into RC just after they switched to HX60s, which I think is an excellent connector. They have solder wells on the back of the pins that make soldering very easy. I think I will stay with them, even if it means swapping out bullet connectors on batteries from other sources.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:52 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
I was curious about the connectors for a couple reasons. I have a multi Charger/Balancer with 6 different style connectors. And you guessed it, no EC3.
And of course you would have to change the connection on the plane side as well. Charging using the EC3 is really no major issue. I can make an adapter or just use the alligator clips. I actually used the alligator clips and connected the Balancing plug to charge the stock Radian battery. That's right I have a battery for the Radian but don't have the plane yet.

Curtis
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:54 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
+1 on the Power Pole connectors. Nice gas tight crimped connection. Been using them for years.
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Apr 08, 2011, 03:03 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataylor57 View Post
Those look great. I'm tempted to switch everything to those. It looks like the only downside is they're kinda big.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Apr 08, 2011, 03:05 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Petersen View Post
+1 on the Power Pole connectors. Nice gas tight crimped connection. Been using them for years.
Are these the power pole connectors you are talking about?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1405117...=263602_324952

Curtis