SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:28 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Duda
The "access hole" makes the rudder adjustment easy.
Lol! Nice solution, though..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:37 AM
Joined Sep 2009
35 Posts
Just ordered a radian

I just ordered a radian at the local hs in Lubbock TX. Are there any radian owners on here from the West Texas area.

It's been about 15 years since I flew any rc planes. I used to fly a Falcon SR, 1/4 sc Super Cub, and a few plane my dad scratch built. I would like to have someone with some experience with the radian when it gets here to help get it trimmed out for the first flight.

Also I've been following some of the comments on flying the radian in wind.
Have I made a mistake? The wind is rarely below 10 mph in this part of the country. There are no hills mountains or trees to slow it down.

JS
kjs1961 is offline Find More Posts by kjs1961
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:10 AM
can buzzards see thermals...
Boerne (Burn-y), Texas
Joined Jul 2007
104 Posts
JS,

I think you will enjoy the Radian just fine. I'm in Texas, but no where near close to Lubbock. Just outside San Antonio. The wind may be a problem, but try to get some flight time in the morning or evening when it's not humping so hard. If you have any flight experience at all, I think you'll be able to handle the Radian. Give it a few test glides (no throttle) to trim it out, just a firm level shove into an open field--into the wind of course. This will give you an idea if the elevator and rudder need trimmed for a good glide, get it going straight and it should land about 30 yards in front of you without proposing.
When applying power the first time, start with a glide launch and then feed in a little power, maybe half. This should give you a gentle climb and you can start steering it around and going up. When you build some confidence, give it a little more power and steepen the climb angle.
The wind may be a problem as I know it can really blow up there. Find a steel rod (from Home Depot or similar) that will fit inside the Radian wing spar tube. This will provide balast right on the CG, and allow better performance in the breeze. I flew my Radian at Galveston this summer with a similar arangement, and could stay up in the sea breeze and not worry about getting blown back over the highway.

Hope this helps, is there anyone in Lubbock to help this guy?

David
dhaverlah is offline Find More Posts by dhaverlah
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:11 AM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
David, how much ballast do you rhink you would need in say a ten MPH wind?
-COle
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:13 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity
David, how much ballast do you rhink you would need in say a ten MPH wind?
-COle
10 MPH, no ballast required.... FWIW, I did an experiment recently, put a GPS watch in the Radian and flew it in very calm air. The watch did add weight, and shifted the CG a bit forward, likely putting it to the stock position.

I found the average speed of 16 mph was a good speed to fly. It flew well between 12 and 20, when exploring min sink and max penetration.

How you ballast depends on conditions, sometimes even on a windy day, ballast just gets you down quicker. While increased wing loading may help handling, in general, with ballast your objective is to increase your speed enabling you to move across the sky, out of bad air, into good air.

Experiment to get a feel....
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Last edited by Hostage-46; Sep 14, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:53 AM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,740 Posts
The steel rod in my tube weighs 6 oz., and allows flying in a pretty strong wind.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
can buzzards see thermals...
Boerne (Burn-y), Texas
Joined Jul 2007
104 Posts
About 4 oz is what I was using--actually a spare 3 cell battery taped inside the canopy and shoving the battery that was plugged in as far aft as I could to maintain proper CG. This moved my balasted CG a little forward from my no wind CG location.
dhaverlah is offline Find More Posts by dhaverlah
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
35 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys.

The shop said it probably be in Thur. or Fri. Not sure I'll be home early enough Friday to pick it up. I'll keep you posted.

I may also go over to the old farm next weekend and see whats hanging in the barn. Last time I looked there were still 5-10 of dads planes hanging from the rafters. He used to build em an I used to break em. Not sure I want to risk those that are left. Maybe if there are a couple I dinged back the I'll see how durable they still are.

Thanks again

Jay
kjs1961 is offline Find More Posts by kjs1961
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:40 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Radian Boomerang

Quick flight showing how I play boomerang with my Radian. Catches were not so good but still fun. Will try to get something better.
Cross-posting to cover both Radian threads.
-Allen

Decided to remove the video. If you have quoted it in your post, please also remove it. Thanks
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Last edited by AeroRecon; Sep 14, 2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Took the video off the post
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:49 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Boy, Allen, you make that look easy.
(I know from experience that it's not)

Are you on motor up to the last seconds?
Was there any wind at all to deal with?
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Sep 18, 2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: asked to remove video by allen
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:56 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen
Boy, Allen, you make that look easy.
(I know from experience that it's not)

Are you on motor up to the last seconds?
Was there any wind at all to deal with?
Dead calm. No wind at all. Only way I do it. I will probably get flamed for posting this but someone asked a while back so I recorded it.

Its fun to do. Depending on approach altitude I usually leave the motor spinning until about 5 or 10 feet out. Its moving so slow it is very easy to catch, either under the belly or any part of the wing.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
the lift is always in the sun!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2008
422 Posts
I don't know why you should get flamed...I catch mine nearly everytime to avoid landing in cactus or scrub brush....

Nice video
SUNSQUINT is offline Find More Posts by SUNSQUINT
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:13 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,121 Posts
Sitting down, prop on, plane coming directly toward you, noob that will try this and get hurt...

Personally, that really looks like fun! And yes, Allen does make it look easy.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC
Sitting down, prop on, plane coming directly toward you, noob that will try this and get hurt...
THAT's why I took the video down. One thing to write it, another to show it.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 05:22 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Ok guys, If i were to go and get another canopy, cut it so I could put my camera under it, and take vidoe with it would it work?
the camer weighs 8 oz, i will be able to get it so the heavies part is up next to the battery(the planes) I Will have to move the ESC to get it to sit under the canopy.
With this info. do you think it would work?
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity