Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:35 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS... View Post
Dave how many lipos and climbs did you think you did in those 3 hours ?
That was with four 1300 lipos. Please note I cut my runs early and leave plenty of charge on the lipos so I'm not sure it's a really good indication of the Radian performance. Not sure about the number of climbs and some were gentle climbs, fast climbs, and just "goofing around."

Thermal performance was pretty good yesterday and I could easily float in the sky for just about as long as I wanted. After awhile, I just have to bring it down before I go blind from staring at the bright sky for so long.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:45 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
That was with four 1300 lipos. Please note I cut my runs early and leave plenty of charge on the lipos so I'm not sure it's a really good indication of the Radian performance. Not sure about the number of climbs and some were gentle climbs, fast climbs, and just "goofing around."

Thermal performance was pretty good yesterday and I could easily float in the sky for just about as long as I wanted. After awhile, I just have to bring it down before I go blind from staring at the bright sky for so long.
What about using a pair of these
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:54 AM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
You have flaps on your Radian? Did I miss something? Hate to dig back through all the posts but I will.
The poster in #7555 added flaps, and the sub-thread about them starts there.
jfflyer is offline Find More Posts by jfflyer
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:53 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
What about using a pair of these
Oh, I've got my shades on. I'm afraid that's not enough for these aging eyes after staring at a glowing orange dot in the sky for over half an hour at a time. I'm talking the Radian, not the sun.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 01:45 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Isn't a 2200 mAh a little heavy? I have some Rhino 2150mAh 3S 11.1v 30C Lipo's i would love to use. whats the Radian fly like, on a 2200 mAh compared to to the stock 1300 mAh ?
Mine flies great with a 2200 blue lipo. It's pretty light, so i can still thermal. Give it a shot!
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2011, 01:55 PM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Oh, I've got my shades on. I'm afraid that's not enough for these aging eyes after staring at a glowing orange dot in the sky for over half an hour at a time. I'm talking the Radian, not the sun.
There is nothing worse than flying a plane at high altitude on a bright sun day with no shades on cos thats when you can see the dreaded floaters! floating around in your eyes.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:09 PM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
There is nothing worse than flying a plane at high altitude on a bright sun day with no shades on cos thats when you can see the dreaded floaters! floating around in your eyes.
But wait!.!...

Quote:
"Take action now and make eye floaters a problem you HAD - not one you have to live with for the rest of your life. And really, for the price you can't go wrong.

Note: The Eye Floaters Solution isn't being offered anywhere else. The solution is only available at [spam-link-deleted] and it's the only one of its kind.
Order Over our Secure Order Form!

Only $234 - $100 - $57

copied from a real web site.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:11 PM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfflyer View Post
But wait!.!...

[/I]
hehe
Old Apr 06, 2011, 04:13 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Well, I came over to the dark side. I have a Radian on order. This will be my first powered glider. I currently own a GP Fling, Spirit, and BOT. The reason I ordered the Radian is for those times that I just want to head down to the park after work. Or at locations where I just can't fit a Hi-Start. I have the PNP model coming. I have an AR500 RX. But, its my understanding this RX is for park flyers. Any problems with this RX/Radian combo?

Curtis
suseuser is offline Find More Posts by suseuser
Old Apr 06, 2011, 04:20 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
Well, I came over to the dark side. I have a Radian on order. This will be my first powered glider. I currently own a GP Fling, Spirit, and BOT. The reason I ordered the Radian is for those times that I just want to head down to the park after work. Or at locations where I just can't fit a Hi-Start. I have the PNP model coming. I have an AR500 RX. But, its my understanding this RX is for park flyers. Any problems with this RX/Radian combo?

Curtis
The AR500 is the Rx that comes in the RTF, Original Radian. It's a full-range Rx. The AR600 is the Rx that comes in the Radian Pro. It, too, is a full-range Rx.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR500

I am curious to hear your "review" of the flying characteristics of the Radian, compared to a traditional, non-powered glider. My Radian is my first RC sailplane, and I've found myself intrigued by it. I love the subtle, yet significant challenges that the plane has made available to me. Energy management, thermalling, duration flight, etc. I'm curious if there is a significant reason to upgrade to a traditional unpowered glider, or if the (relatively) inexpensive, easy to fix, versatile Radian and Radian Pro could address all my future "glider needs". As with most, my life doesn't have a lot of time for building, much less flying...so I like to have something flight ready whenever I have a spare moment.
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:50 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post

Curtis
The ar500 is a full range rx. I have had my radian over half a mile away with no issue. I was up 2600 feet on the altimeter and out in front of me probably 300 feet.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:57 PM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
The ar500 is a full range rx. I have had my radian over half a mile away with no issue. I was up 2600 feet on the altimeter and out in front of me probably 300 feet.
The ar500/dx5e combination will go farther than that. You'll lose visual contact with the airplane before you lose radio control. I've tested mine to a mile on the ground (with clear line of sight using a hill), just for peace of mind. I've since changed my Radian to an AR6200 (with satellite receiver) and my transmitter is a DX7, and that combination goes well over 2 miles, but I don't know if the stock setup will go as far.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:14 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
The AR500 is the Rx that comes in the RTF, Original Radian. It's a full-range Rx. The AR600 is the Rx that comes in the Radian Pro. It, too, is a full-range Rx.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR500

I am curious to hear your "review" of the flying characteristics of the Radian, compared to a traditional, non-powered glider. My Radian is my first RC sailplane, and I've found myself intrigued by it. I love the subtle, yet significant challenges that the plane has made available to me. Energy management, thermalling, duration flight, etc. I'm curious if there is a significant reason to upgrade to a traditional unpowered glider, or if the (relatively) inexpensive, easy to fix, versatile Radian and Radian Pro could address all my future "glider needs". As with most, my life doesn't have a lot of time for building, much less flying...so I like to have something flight ready whenever I have a spare moment.
I use to love flying a Gentle Lady which I would launch with a hi-start. After flying the Radian, the Gentle Lady may finally be retired. It's just really nice to be able to fly without having to use the hi-start and still get nice sailplane performance for relatively little cost and minimal hassle. Your sailplane interests and requirements sound close to mine.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:21 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfflyer View Post
The ar500/dx5e combination will go farther than that. You'll lose visual contact with the airplane before you lose radio control. I've tested mine to a mile on the ground (with clear line of sight using a hill), just for peace of mind. I've since changed my Radian to an AR6200 (with satellite receiver) and my transmitter is a DX7, and that combination goes well over 2 miles, but I don't know if the stock setup will go as far.
I know it has more range than that I was just providing a real world example of what I have done with mine. A half mile is fairly extreme range for a 2 meter plane. People that have seen me fly numerous planes say I must have bionic eyes because of the range I fly at and the things I do. I have a 9503 fwiw.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:56 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
I use to love flying a Gentle Lady which I would launch with a hi-start. After flying the Radian, the Gentle Lady may finally be retired. It's just really nice to be able to fly without having to use the hi-start and still get nice sailplane performance for relatively little cost and minimal hassle. Your sailplane interests and requirements sound close to mine.
The Gentle Lady was my first introduction to Sailplanes. There are a couple major reasons I chose the Radian as my first powered glider. First, there is almost a cult-like following. This thread with over 7600 posts says something about the Radian. I figured this many folks can't be wrong. I've been researching the Radian for almost a year. And for some reason I keep coming back to it. It's kind of like the Blade MSR Helicopter of planes. There are also days where I can't get to a field that has 800' of open area to set up my Hi-Start. Or the wind is just coming from a direction that doesn't work out right. There are some days that I only have a "block" of time that I can set aside to fly. My quick-fix before the cares of the world mess the day up.

The motor for me only serves one purpose; to get it into the air. I don't have any interest in buzzing around. Once I get up to altitude, the motor is going off and I'm hunting for thermals. One of the major advantages of non-motorized sailplanes is their ability to fly all day long on a single battery. A motor eats up a battery real fast. I know on my electric Super Cubs I'm real lucky to get 10 minutes of flight if I go gentle on the throttle.

I don't know if a traditional Sailplane is an "upgrade". But, there is a beauty to a non-powered Sailplane. I love the sleek lines, the absolute quiet, the way the suns glint off the covering on the wings and sheer relaxation. I think my Bird of Time Sailplane looks amazing. I've seen motors put on them and IMO, it spoils the lines of the BOT. I think the primary objective of Sailplanes is aerodynamics and lift. I love the so called "gas bags". And a prop on a Sailplane will always create some sort of drag.

Setting up and using a Hi-Start or Winch takes time. I think this is a good thing. I know this doesn't seem to make sense for those of us who have so little time to spare. But, as I get older, I find that it makes me slow down and just enjoy the free time I do have. I mean what's the point of staying so busy that it just sucks the joy out of life. "Pure" Sailplanes help me put the world on hold for a time. Once I get a few hours of flight time invested in the Radian maybe my philosophy will change.

Well, now you have the Zen of Sailplanes according to Curtis
suseuser is offline Find More Posts by suseuser