HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:25 PM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I can definitely tell it's a bright fluorescent color for as high as I can possibly see a plane at all. Plus, the fluorescent orange on the Radian just looks cool to me. Kind of a Coast Guard look.
Do you have something contrasting on the top, to easily tell the orientation of the plane (usually coming vs going is hardest)?
jfflyer is offline Find More Posts by jfflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:40 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
I've heard for years that a dark color, such as black, is best for the wing underside. I must have unusual eyes. For me, the dark color seems to blend somewhat into a blue sky, compared to a red, yellow, or orange. Maybe it's the Houston pollution. Of everything I've tried, fluorescent red or orange works the best for me. With the underside of the wind and the horizontal stabilizer in fluorescent, my Radian is highly visible at altitude and helps me to maintain orientation when way up. With the fluorescent Krylon, it just glows at altitude. I can definitely tell it's a bright fluorescent color for as high as I can possibly see a plane at all. Plus, the fluorescent orange on the Radian just looks cool to me. Kind of a Coast Guard look.
I am the same way I use fluro orange on a lot of my planes it stands out better than any other color to me. I have had my radian up 2600+ feet a few times. I wouldnt want to go much higher than that but most people think that's plenty high.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:43 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfflyer View Post
Do you have something contrasting on the top, to easily tell the orientation of the plane (usually coming vs going is hardest)?
I don't use color for orientation at all. I have a couple solid black and a couple solid white planes never bothered me at all.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:44 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Quote:
I would put the flaps on the rudder channel for full range control by stick. The Radian doesn't use that channel, and you can do it with any non-programmable radio like the DX5.
I didn't think about doing it that way

Seem's like a good way of controling the flaps as well....

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:34 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
On the Radian, the bottom of the wing is Krylon "Red Glowing Orange Fluorescent," other than the wing tips (winglets) are covered on the bottom with chrome MonoKote, which will glint in the sun. The top of the wings have an 8" Red Glowing Orange Flurorescent strip just before the wing tip. The difference in coverage between the top and bottom is more than enough to tell the orientation. When I see the long red/orange strip on the bottom, I know what's going on. I can just see the Red/Orange fluro so well, I just changed it's scheme between top and bottom for the wing to help with orientation. The horizontal stab is all Red/Orange fluro, top and bottom. By the way, I stripped off all the standard Radian decals. I didn't really care for the basic scheme.

All I can say is that it works for me.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:35 AM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
I didn't think about doing it that way

Seem's like a good way of controling the flaps as well....

Hand-launch gliders (no motor) almost always control the flaps on the unused throttle stick. It gives you full control. On a programmable radio you can set a dead zone at the top to avoid inadvertently deploying them, and pulling back beyond that progressively lowers the flaps. With the DX5 you'll have to set up the mechanical linkage so the wing is flat with the stick all the way one way, and the flaps fully down with the stick all the way the other way. And the servos would have to be installed to both pull down, not opposite like ailerons. This way you can activate them with only one channel.
jfflyer is offline Find More Posts by jfflyer
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:43 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
The weather was perfect here yesterday for flying the Radian. Three hours of great flying. Once I got her to altitude, it was just a matter of flying for as long as I wanted. As they say, the Radian really should come with a lawn chair.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:46 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,528 Posts
Quote:
The weather was perfect here yesterday for flying the Radian. Three hours of great flying. Once I got her to altitude, it was just a matter of flying for as long as I wanted. As they say, the Radian really should come with a lawn chair.
I agree The Radian is such a pleasant plane to fly.
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:19 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Yep. The Radian is my most enjoyable plane in the fleet, at the moment. I'd be out flying again today if it wasn't for other committments.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:22 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Dave how many lipos and climbs did you think you did in those 3 hours ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:57 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS... View Post
Dave how many lipos and climbs did you think you did in those 3 hours ?
On my side I use a 3s1p 2200 .
At one time last summer I climb with 1 min power and glidded 1 hour, came down because I was tired
If I fly with the Coutour GPS HD camera on the Radian the drag is higher so the glide is affected a bit but still glides beautifuly
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:28 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Hand-launch gliders (no motor) almost always control the flaps on the unused throttle stick. It gives you full control. On a programmable radio you can set a dead zone at the top to avoid inadvertently deploying them, and pulling back beyond that progressively lowers the flaps. With the DX5 you'll have to set up the mechanical linkage so the wing is flat with the stick all the way one way, and the flaps fully down with the stick all the way the other way. And the servos would have to be installed to both pull down, not opposite like ailerons. This way you can activate them with only one channel.
You have flaps on your Radian? Did I miss something? Hate to dig back through all the posts but I will.
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:50 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
On my side I use a 3s1p 2200 .
At one time last summer I climb with 1 min power and glidded 1 hour, came down because I was tired
If I fly with the Coutour GPS HD camera on the Radian the drag is higher so the glide is affected a bit but still glides beautifuly
Isn't a 2200 mAh a little heavy? I have some Rhino 2150mAh 3S 11.1v 30C Lipo's i would love to use. whats the Radian fly like, on a 2200 mAh compared to to the stock 1300 mAh ?
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:53 AM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS... View Post
Isn't a 2200 mAh a little heavy? I have some Rhino 2150mAh 3S 11.1v 30C Lipo's i would love to use. whats the Radian fly like, on a 2200 mAh compared to to the stock 1300 mAh ?
I never tried the 1300 but it fly's really well with the 2200, plus the CG is perfect with my HD cam
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:56 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
I never tried the 1300 but it fly's really well with the 2200, plus the CG is perfect with my HD cam
With no camera it would be a no go then... maybe i will have to strap my Kodak Zi8 on to get the CG right