HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Pen got my joke. Too bad some of you did not did not.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Apr 05, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:18 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Thinking about treating my self to a new Tx...
Looking at the Spektrum DX7...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spektrum-DX7-S...item4aa9c5b76c

Can I still use my AR500 Rx I've got in my Radian or do I have to up-grade my Rx to a AR700...

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:28 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Thinking about treating my self to a new Tx...
Looking at the Spektrum DX7...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spektrum-DX7-S...item4aa9c5b76c

Can I still use my AR500 Rx I've got in my Radian or do I have to up-grade my Rx to a AR700...

Sean
Yes it will work any dsm2 rx will work with the dx7.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:16 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Yes it will work any dsm2 rx will work with the dx7.
Thanks for reply...
it say's in the add...
"Please note that the Spektrum Special Edition DX7 transmitter was designed by Spektrum with the professional pilot in mind and therefore has a much faster response time when used with the fast receivers such as the AR7600. It does not have the buddy lead facility, and the DX7 SE transmitter is not upgradeable to DSMX technology".....

I would not call my self a professional pilot,,,,more of a weekend flyer
So if I'm not useing the AR700 the response time with a AR500 Rx would be normal ???
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:29 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for reply...
it say's in the add...
"Please note that the Spektrum Special Edition DX7 transmitter was designed by Spektrum with the professional pilot in mind and therefore has a much faster response time when used with the fast receivers such as the AR7600. It does not have the buddy lead facility, and the DX7 SE transmitter is not upgradeable to DSMX technology".....

So if I'm not useing the AR700 the response time with a AR500 Rx would be normal ???
Yes response time would be the same as with your current transmitter. Some people say they can feel a difference between the new 2048 resolution and The older 1024 resolution and some say it's not possible. I wouldn't worry about it one bit either way if it were me.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:50 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Yes response time would be the same as with your current transmitter. Some people say they can feel a difference between the new 2048 resolution and The older 1024 resolution and some say it's not possible. I wouldn't worry about it one bit either way if it were me.
Thanks...
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:38 PM
John Foltz
Woodstock, GA
Joined Jan 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for reply...
it say's in the add...

You don't need to pay extra for the SE, just get the regular DX7 retail $189 for transmitter only. Ideally get the heli version if you ever plan to fly any helis, the airplane programming is still the same.
jfflyer is offline Find More Posts by jfflyer
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:00 AM
World's fastest crashes
Estonia
Joined Feb 2010
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen View Post
It flew for 12 minutes in that config with a GoPro added as well.
Hi Pen! How many mAh are you using there? I was just testing yesterday, how long i can fly with 2200 mAh LiPo (Radian pusher conversion). So, little statistic: total flight time 26 min.; total distance 13 km.; the farthest point 3km.; used 1744mAh.

Proof test (4 min 58 sec)
siim227 is offline Find More Posts by siim227
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:14 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Pen got my joke. Too bad some of you did not did not.

Furthermore since YOU had no involvement in the original topic then by our own definition you have no say here, unless you are just trying to feel that you belong.

The reason xviper got involved was to educate other posters about your rude behavior... you have obviously upset people in the past or xviper wouldn't have said what he said... further more i don't remember you being involved in the FPV chat,which was between myself and Pen... i thought your comment was random and troll like to be honest.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:18 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
All personal crusades in PM, please...
Stick to the Radian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodon View Post
Hi guys flew my Radian a good bit today. This is my 2nd one. Lost my 1st one at one day old so I'm happy with my all day flying. One question - I had 2 hard nose landings today - 1 against a concrete wall - but all was good (nose flattened a little bit). Little bit later I landed nose hard into the dirt/field. There was dirt on the blades and nose. Now my motor is a good bit louder it sounds like it's cutting the air or something -I'm not sure if it's coming from the blades or the actual motor. But it's flying fine.

I'm pretty sure my motor got louder with my first Radian aswell after a couple of tough beginner landings. Does anyone know if this is normal or if it is anything to worry about?
Ouch! First, check the motor bell/ can, it's plastic so even normal use can result in cracks (check the PZ ME109 thread...). Second, remove the prop/ spinner and see how the motor is running on its own. If the motor is smooth, then you might need a new spinner/ prop if you cannot balance the current one. Be very careful running an unbalanced plastic motor, it's just a matter of time before it quits, could cost you a crash, even though a motor failure isn't as critical on a glider as on a warbird.

Btw. maidened mine yesterday evening, never had a 3-channel plane with di-polyhedral before, was a nerve wracking experience until I finally accepted that the ship won't capsize She flew well, very floaty, easy as pie to catch, no need to bellyland. There wasn't too much wind, but I was surrounded by 20m tall trees, so the wind I had was 'bumpy'. The Zippy 1.3Ah 15C pack failed miserably, at least I couldn't stand listening to the low voltage buzzer even at 50% throttle, so I changed it to the 1.3Ah Turnigy Nano, slightly heavier, partly due to beefier wire. No issues there, good power, it went up almost vertical.

I was pleased with the maiden, but decided to call it quits soon. This ship needs low winds/ thermals, or a constant and 'clean' wind, preferably on a gentle slope, turbulence and bumpy air isn't its strength.

All I need now is some more sunshine
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:27 AM
Pen
FPWhat?
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2008
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siim227 View Post
Hi Pen! How many mAh are you using there? I was just testing yesterday, how long i can fly with 2200 mAh LiPo (Radian pusher conversion). So, little statistic: total flight time 26 min.; total distance 13 km.; the farthest point 3km.; used 1744mAh.
Beautiful vid! Gopro? You only averaged 4A for the flight. You must have caught some thermals here and there.

I used a 2200 mah bat and about 1750 mah for my last 15 minute flight. It was quite windy, so I had to stay on the throttle pretty good to keep downwind control. I averaged 7A for the flight. Good to hear I can probably fly longer than 15 minutes on a calm day with a little thermal action.

I'm looking forward to getting a Dragon Link. I'm limited to less than 1 km with my current radio and fpv set up. I could probably move things around a little and/or add filters to get longer distance but I should be getting my DL very soon. I barely missed getting one in the last shipment.
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen View Post
Beautiful vid! Gopro? You only averaged 4A for the flight. You must have caught some thermals here and there.

Good to hear I can probably fly longer than 15 minutes on a calm day with a little thermal action.
Pen, I have been flying my Radian in calm winds with little or no thermal activity using a Turnigy 1300 mah and getting 25 minute endurance with a comfortable reserve. I think I could go 30 minutes or more but mine weighs only 30 ounces.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Apr 03, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:08 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Went out today,to do some slope soaring with the Rad....
Wind was blowing at 27.3 mph max ,very blustery ,way beyond my skill level... ...left the Rad in the car and watched the guys in my club flying there 3 meter+ gliders...

Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:16 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,976 Posts
Clever thing to do, Stuart! Not because of skill, but the Radian isn't really designed for those conditions.

Which club is that?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:53 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post
Clever thing to do, Stuart! Not because of skill, but the Radian isn't really designed for those conditions.

Which club is that?
Stuart !

Hi Chris......How are you....
SMFC... Southern Model Flying Club... Based in Bandon...
We were down at the Old Head of Kinsale...

I was down there 2 weels ago as well with the club
flying my Phoenix 2000....
There's a MACI Gliding site there...

Flying Off the old head of Kinsale .Ireland (8 min 24 sec)

Sean