HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
No disrespect Pen, because you have obviously chosen to go for function over form, but that is the ugliest Radian I have ever seen.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Got the ship this afternoon

First impression: The wing saddle is softer than butter! I was planning on a quick flight this evening, but eventually decided to strengthen the saddle before I toss it in the air.

First, applied some regular packing tape on the op of the saddle. Took a hobbyknife and made a 5-6mm cut along the fuse seam from the hatch magnet to 4" behind the trailing edge. Worked some Gorilla Glue into the groove, then pushed a carbeon .5x3mm carbon strip 1-2mm into the groove. Removed the packing tape/ excess glue. I should have used some white Gorilla Glue, which would have been yielded a perfect finish. I didn't wanted to strengthen it too much, since I much rather break the saddle than the wing.

Moved the elevator horn 6-7mm and installed the Sullivan snap clevis, works excellent. Then I realized the elevator servo is loose... Still the plastic motor... The wings are effectively held together by the friction of the rod... Hmmm Must say I'm not awed by the quality and finesse of the product, I was sort of expecting slightly more based on my other HH products, OTOH I only paid a little more than the mediocre ASW28 from Hobbyking, but the proof is in the pudding, good weather coming up tomorrow hopefully!

Btw. as an added bonus, I cut off the end of the box and added some duck tape, now I have a perfect carrying box for my DX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
I used 1/4" diameter x 3/4" long because I had that size handy, and they were overkill by a little bit, but the length gives them a strong glue joint to the foam.
Thanks, having seen the wing, I think I will go for something in this range, but for now the rod is still snug.
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:42 PM
Pen
FPWhat?
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2008
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
No disrespect Pen, because you have obviously chosen to go for function over form, but that is the ugliest Radian I have ever seen.
That's exactly what I was shooting for.
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
Old Apr 02, 2011, 12:26 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen View Post
That's exactly what I was shooting for.
When I first looked at it I thought it looked like some kind of surgery that went horribly wrong.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:08 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
It geared up for FPV not an RC-Show dave
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:42 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Frankenradian. Geez I agree completely...hope it works well lol.
Mcdyvie is offline Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:29 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Oct 2009
462 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to run our wires and batteriers under the wing rather than the lifting surface on top?
Navigator53 is offline Find More Posts by Navigator53
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS... View Post
It geared up for FPV not an RC-Show dave
Brilliant observation. What do you think I meant by "function over form"?
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:08 AM
Pen
FPWhat?
Joined Sep 2008
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
When I first looked at it I thought it looked like some kind of surgery that went horribly wrong.
Ron
I do have a bone stock radian (except for an 11x8 prop) that I love to thermal soar with but I have to say, it is really awesome to be able to fly one as if I was sitting in the radian cockpit. I know it's not for everyone and that's cool but Kris asked about it so I showed some pics. I take no offense at the comments about the looks. I think they are very funny. I know it looks really ugly and I could have done some things differently but it works great in it's current config and while it doesn't float like a stock radian it still flies great. I could have used a different platform but I already had a beat up radian so that is what I used. Some people set up really lite radian fpv ships and do fpv thermaling with it but mine's not set up for that. It's all good!
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:38 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen View Post
I do have a bone stock radian (except for an 11x8 prop) that I love to thermal soar with but I have to say, it is really awesome to be able to fly one as if I was sitting in the radian cockpit. I know it's not for everyone and that's cool but Kris asked about it so I showed some pics. I take no offense at the comments about the looks. I think they are very funny. I know it looks really ugly and I could have done some things differently but it works great in it's current config and while it doesn't float like a stock radian it still flies great. I could have used a different platform but I already had a beat up radian so that is what I used. Some people set up really lite radian fpv ships and do fpv thermaling with it but mine's not set up for that. It's all good!
Look how ugly you have to make a Delorean for time travel. You do what you gotta do.

BTW, the comment about all that stuff on the top of the wing affecting the "lifting surface". If I recall my high school physics lessons correctly, the top surface doesn't "lift". It creates the low pressure zone so that the higher pressure zone under the wing can push the wing up. A bit of a nit pick, but then, it seems people in this hobby do nit pick anyway.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:19 PM
Pen
FPWhat?
Joined Sep 2008
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
... it seems people in this hobby do nit pick anyway.
I barely noticed.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:36 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Brilliant observation. What do you think I meant by "function over form"?
So you can give it... but not take it
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
109 Posts
Hi guys flew my Radian a good bit today. This is my 2nd one. Lost my 1st one at one day old so I'm happy with my all day flying. One question - I had 2 hard nose landings today - 1 against a concrete wall - but all was good (nose flattened a little bit). Little bit later I landed nose hard into the dirt/field. There was dirt on the blades and nose. Now my motor is a good bit louder it sounds like it's cutting the air or something -I'm not sure if it's coming from the blades or the actual motor. But it's flying fine.

I'm pretty sure my motor got louder with my first Radian aswell after a couple of tough beginner landings. Does anyone know if this is normal or if it is anything to worry about?
desodon is offline Find More Posts by desodon
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:46 PM View Post
xviper
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while xviper edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:56 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Lol
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen