SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:45 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Maiden of the Radian 120 is done. It launches fine and had plenty of power and rudder. The wings do flap pretty good with elevator changes if they're not smooth. I don't think it would break unless you got silly with the elevator or tried looping it. You won't be able to do the 5 loops to a landing moves I was doing last weekend with it any more. However, I wanted to test it before adding any packing tape or CF tow to the wing just to see how it acted. That will be next. Floated forever! I can't wait to give it a proper maiden and thermal it. I'll let you all know how it goes as soon as it happens.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:42 AM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I sheared off one of the thumbscrews on the elevator pushrod connector on my first time assembling it. Just tightening with my finger and POP.

I read here that people suggest replacing these with the DuBro EZ kwik links or whatever they are called. I bought some and tried it, but this puts the locking screw against the tail for the elevator connector, and against the elevator for the rudder connector. I couldn't get in there to tighten them down properly, so they slip.

How are people using these and getting them tight? I went back to the stock connectors for now, but I'm afraid I'll snap another one.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Sep 12, 2009, 07:28 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Turn them 180 degrees! The pushrod won't be at much more of an angle..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 12, 2009, 07:40 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,960 Posts
And a slight Z bend should help to relocate the pushrod to the other side of the control horn after you flip the quick links.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:16 AM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
Radian Pushrod Connector upgrade...

I used the Mini Connectors, but replaced the screw with a socket head type to accommodate a hex driver. The "access hole" makes the rudder adjustment easy.
Jim Duda is offline Find More Posts by Jim Duda
Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:25 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I took a little break in my day and worked a bit on the Radian 120. I put 2" FG tape on the top and bottom of the wing. Two strips overlapping 1/4" down the centers from the root mold to the tips on bottom and out to the grafix on the top. It made a huge difference in the flapping of the wing. I still don't think I would try looping it but it behaves much better now. It thermals quite nicely. I may finish taping the rest of the wings as well just to make it even stiffer. Rudder response is good but I may add a bit more eventually just to see how much difference there is with say 1" more. I'm taking it to the sod farm tomorrow to give it a real workout and show it off a bit. It's time to start thinking about adding flaps next. It needs help coming down at times.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:49 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild
I sheared off one of the thumbscrews on the elevator pushrod connector on my first time assembling it. Just tightening with my finger and POP.

I read here that people suggest replacing these with the DuBro EZ kwik links or whatever they are called. I bought some and tried it, but this puts the locking screw against the tail for the elevator connector, and against the elevator for the rudder connector. I couldn't get in there to tighten them down properly, so they slip.

How are people using these and getting them tight? I went back to the stock connectors for now, but I'm afraid I'll snap another one.

I did this....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=703
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Sep 12, 2009, 07:09 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Todays flight

This flight was just before the dark clouds rolled by.
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:06 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,736 Posts
Wow, was it dotted out?
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:12 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic
Wow, was it dotted out?
Not really.....

I could see two bright orange wingtips but the black in the center section faded out. I felt like it could have gone higher without loosing sight of it.

Chris
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:10 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I managed to hand catch my Radian on one of my landings today I've been trying but it seems that right when I have it flared up and getting close it finds a gust and starts to sprint again, so I just step aside and float it down. I got a bit of applause from the guys watching when I managed it finally
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:59 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Sep 2009
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_flyer
This flight was just before the dark clouds rolled by.
Wow is that with with the dx5 and the stock receiver?
jon525 is offline Find More Posts by jon525
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:53 AM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon525
Wow is that with with the dx5 and the stock receiver?
2505 feet was with a DX7 and the AR6200 receiver.

Chris
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:09 AM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
My radian just fell from my bedroom ceiling last night, no damage that I can tell yet.
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:13 AM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild

I simply poked a hole in the obstructing foam (elevator) over the connector replacement that I am trying to tighten. Now it's very easy to adjust with an allen wrench. Some connectors would use a screw driver.
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper