Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:44 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
I keep some large wing rubber bands in my pocket when I fly. I always keep one wrapped around the throttle stick and the transmitter body to prevent an accidental spin of the prop. To me those Aeronaut blades look like spinning surgical scalpels. When I am ready to go, transmitter on, control checks, range checks, etc., then I remove the rubber band for flying. As soon as I land I replace the rubber band on the throttle stick. I use a Spektrum DX6i. My HiTec transmitter has a throttle lock button on it.
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
I find I accidentally bump the stick quite often, so leave my Tx off until I'm ready to turn the prop. Other people are more comfortable the other way.
I did that just once. Since then I use an elastic band to safe the throttle stick when not intentionally running the motor, so have never had that problem.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:49 PM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
Has anyone done any measurements to determine what the average power off consumption is of the Radian is? In other words, a rate that can be applied to a certain sized battery to determine potential safe length of soaring flight. I guess that is a long way of asking how long you can safely soar with a certain sized battery, say a 1300 mah. I have flown up to 45 minutes and start getting nervous about draining the battery all the way down.
I have done a 30min flight after a 10 sec motor run. Only had to put back 138mah into an 1800mah pack. Running RX and 2 servos you will use about 100 to 125mah an hour. As others have said it all depends on the motor run and how much you use your servos.

Kevin
kunclebuc is offline Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:57 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
To each his own. I'm just encouraging people to think about how their system works and decide for themselves whether the risk of prop strike from a bumped stick is higher than the risk of a radio/ESC malfunction. I find I accidentally bump the stick quite often, so leave my Tx off until I'm ready to turn the prop. Other people are more comfortable the other way.
Turn on TX. Set a couple meters away. Plug in battery on plane. Bumping stick problem solved...

No one says you gotta hold the TX in your hand while you fumble with the battery on the plane
Mcdyvie is offline Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:49 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
Turn on TX. Set a couple meters away. Plug in battery on plane. Bumping stick problem solved...

No one says you gotta hold the TX in your hand while you fumble with the battery on the plane
Thats how I do it on my electrics and nitro birds.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:53 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I did that just once. Since then I use an elastic band to safe the throttle stick when not intentionally running the motor, so have never had that problem.
Same way I do it, did have a accident that promped the elastic band. I have bumped it on while moving just a few feet to get a better launch area. The Tx dangling catches the knob on clothes. Works for me because the last time I bumped it on I had to use some nylon thread to close up.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Helis have a nice feature call throttle hold(TH) usually activated by a switch. For airplanes I use a mix and create a similar function on the same switch. If TH is on then it doesn't matter what you do with the throttle stick the motor cannot turn on.
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
I ALWAYS use a throttle hold like Carl mentioned. On some radios the throttle hold is available in airplane mode. On other radios I use a THRO-->THRO mix. It works like an ignition switch so the motor can't run when the switch is off. Then bumping the throttle stick won't make the prop turn accidentally.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:48 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone done any measurements to determine what the average power off consumption is of the Radian is? In other words, a rate that can be applied to a certain sized battery to determine potential safe length of soaring flight. I guess that is a long way of asking how long you can safely soar with a certain sized battery, say a 1300 mah. I have flown up to 45 minutes and start getting nervous about draining the battery all the way down.
30 second motor run at 18 amps is about 170 mah

Servos and receiver alone will draw perhpas 200 mah per hour when soaring.

that is about 5 hours on a 1300 mah pack. So if you don't run more than 4 hours on a single climb you should be very safe.

Might be hard when thermal soaring but 4 hours is very possible on the slope, if YOU have the duration.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:03 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
aeajr I agree on the duration part completely. I have done an hour a few times and thats about all I can take at a stretch. I could have stayed up quite a bit longer but my neck couldn't take it anymore.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:15 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Today I experienced the dreaded radian dive to oblivion. I instantly thought of AR500 lockout and mysterious elevator blanking being the root of this evil.

Turns out the elevator control rod keeper on the horn loosened up and got stuck in full down. What was that about adequate preflight checks?...

Thank God for gorilla glue.
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:21 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Just wondering ..
is there a Firewall mod that can be done to stop the holes (that the screws go through to the motor) from spider web cracking....

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Mar 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:03 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
30 second motor run at 18 amps is about 170 mah

Servos and receiver alone will draw perhpas 200 mah per hour when soaring.

that is about 5 hours on a 1300 mah pack. So if you don't run more than 4 hours on a single climb you should be very safe.

Might be hard when thermal soaring but 4 hours is very possible on the slope, if YOU have the duration.
Thanks guys for the info. I have to agree with you that after 30 minutes or so I start getting a sore neck. I just wanted to get an idea of how much of a buffer I had. I have flown days with no lift, climb, glide, climb, glide and have come home only to have expended about half my pack. I need to pay more attention to the numbers but I usually only do a couple of ALES launches in a session at the most. So, good to know that if I get lift I will give out before my battery does.
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:44 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Just wondering ..
is there a Firewall mod that can be done to stop the holes (that the screws go through to the motor) from spider leg cracking....

I haven't encountered the spider web effect but have broken two firewalls so I just keep one around for a spare. Cheap. Did you by chance use a thread lock compound on the screws?
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:55 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys for the info. I have to agree with you that after 30 minutes or so I start getting a sore neck. I just wanted to get an idea of how much of a buffer I had. I have flown days with no lift, climb, glide, climb, glide and have come home only to have expended about half my pack. I need to pay more attention to the numbers but I usually only do a couple of ALES launches in a session at the most. So, good to know that if I get lift I will give out before my battery does.
I have run my Easy Glider to the LV cutoff, then thermaled for 30 minute with complete confidence. While you will get a big voltage drop under motor the voltage pops right back up when the motor cuts off and the low, slow draw of the receiver/servos hardly strains the pack even when it won't handle full power motor climbs.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr