HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2009, 08:37 PM
Joined Jul 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity
-parkjoe
Have you had a chance to fly it with the lights, If so how was it?
-AG

Hi anti-gravity, No its not finish yet.

Cheers,
PJ...
parkjoe is offline Find More Posts by parkjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:00 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Has anyone heated the wings to flatten them out? I'm hoping someone has tried it or has a broken wing they could heat up and try it for me before I start heating a brand new wing. I'm try to flatten the first 21" from the root out. Thanks. -Steve-
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Sep 09, 2009, 10:41 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Heating didn't do much. I decided to just cut it "in the right places". Both sets of wings are cut. The panels are prepped for gluing as soon as the spar is ready. I cut the second spare in half. Then epoxied a 2" piece of dowel inside each one to combine the three pieces into one rather long spar. I did it this way so the connection wouldn't be in the middle of the spar. Later today I will use the joiner to help keep things aligned and rejoin the wing panels creating two 60 in panels. I will then have a 120" Radian. It should be easier to see at higher altitudes. If the maiden goes well I will be installing two micro servos in the wings to give it either flaps or spoilers. I haven't decided which I would prefer at this point. The flaps would be easiest to do but spoilers would allow me to use it in a RES contest if I ever wanted to.
On a seperate note. I'm already thinking about using the left over tips to make a mini plane possibly for sloping.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 10:47 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,113 Posts
You go Boone! Blaze that trail!

How about some pics?

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Sep 09, 2009, 12:37 PM
the lift is always in the sun!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2008
416 Posts
Steve,
are you planning on increasing the tail or lengthening the fuse to have enough control surface or moment?

will you have to redrill the joiner holes in the different wing sections to get them to line up because of the dihedral angles they had before?

it all sounds very cool....good luck!
SUNSQUINT is offline Find More Posts by SUNSQUINT
Old Sep 09, 2009, 01:44 PM
Michigan
Joined Jan 2004
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJarred
Me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emIb87dP2kA

Will get round eventually, one day, to making a new one...

dont mind the fag at the end, i would have edited it if i could've...

It is very dangerous to catch a plane that has a prop. Also the radian is known to throw props and it could get you in the eye, etc.
This is not a good idea.
Richard314 is offline Find More Posts by Richard314
Old Sep 09, 2009, 04:01 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I cut the original wing in half 10" out from the root where it's still fairly flat. Then cut the second wing at 21" from the root. Then cut the puzzle piece shape off of the roots using the notches at the front and back as a guide. The two tip sections from wing #2 will become a mini plane later. The 21" sections were epoxied between the first wings two sections. I took the rod I made as described earlier and twisted it as I inserted it to "re-route" it a bit. Next I will be epoxying some light ply across the wing joints to add some extra strength to them. I may (probably) will add a strip of CF tow on the wing bottoms to help with bowing because of the added span. I won't be making any changes to the fuse or tail until I fly it to see how it does. Power won't be an issue as the original would climb vertically to launch altitude. Here's some early pics as I was laying it up for glueing. I'll get one later when the epoxy cures of the wing mounted on the fuse.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 05:25 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Here's a couple of the glued up wing halves mocked up. Just have to finish the spar so it can't come apart and put it in the wing. Then see if I'm going to need CF tow to keep it from bowing too much. I hope to maiden it tomorrow if the weather holds.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 05:33 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Great idea, Steve. Since I have two Radians you have got me to thinking that perhaps one of them should be converted into a Radian "U-2" strato soarer. Please keep us posted as to your progress...and a lot of photos.

This Radian could turn into being the foundation plane for numerous mods...like the MPX EasyStar.

FS

PS -- did you notice the photos of my "wing locks"? That could possibly be a perfect solution to holding the wings together in the fuselage. I also have a couple of photos posted on the EJS thread...post #28.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1076640&page=2

Good luck

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Last edited by frogstomper; Sep 09, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 07:55 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
Here's a couple of the glued up wing halves mocked up. Just have to finish the spar so it can't come apart and put it in the wing. Then see if I'm going to need CF tow to keep it from bowing too much. I hope to maiden it tomorrow if the weather holds.

I likey....
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Sep 09, 2009, 08:11 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
I checked....the replacement wings are in stock at Horizon right now for less than $35. I predict they shortly will be out of stock once the followers of this thread get a look at Steve's work. I have a Cularis that I was going to start working on next week. Now, with this great looking mod taking shape, I am asking myself, "WHY".

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Old Sep 09, 2009, 09:05 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,113 Posts
Holy Dwarfer!

That 120" wing is a Dwarfer! It makes the Radian fuselage looks like a DLG's fuselage.

I'd do a couple of hand tosses and see what the turning characteristics are like. I hope there is enough fuselage length/tail surface to keep her tracking.

The wings turned out nice!

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Sep 09, 2009, 11:08 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,222 Posts
Steve, Steve, Steve, what have we done to you.
You started out with Sophisticated Lady and a Vista, got a taste of the Falcon 880 and the Ava. You have a Thermal Queen kit on the way and now this radical mod!
Was it seeing the Aquila XL? Jack's Pike with the extended tips?
Next thing we know you will have finally started on the Yankee Soar!!!!!!
Looks VERY GOOD, can't wait to hear how it goes, well I hope because I would sure like to see it at the sod farm.
I am going to guess that it will need a larger rudder but it seemed to have plenty of elevator. Maybe tape some cardboard to the rudder, about a 1" piece should work if you find it does not want to turn well.
It will be an overcast not of monokote like Jim and I have but a "Foam Overcast!!!"
See you Saturday or Sunday

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:18 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJarred
Me:

Parkzone Radian Hover (0 min 22 sec)

Will get round eventually, one day, to making a new one...

dont mind the fag at the end, i would have edited it if i could've...
Is this on a stock setup???

I doubt it is stock. If it's not, what prop, batteries and motor are you using?

Any other mods to be able to do this?

Awesome!!!!

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:56 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
seriosly, the plane is stock haha,

also, it hovers better on the 1300mah battery, cause its lighter than the 2200mah

umm, the prop is the stock prop, the battery 2200mah 25c zippy flightmax, and original motor...

all you have to do is put as much throw as possible on your radio, making sure you dont have the elevator/rudder hitting the other servo with the control horn inside the fuse, and it really is as simple as that

i find a mix on the rudder stick, helps to bring the true hover feeling.... you just have to let her torque roll

PS: Richard314 , as you can see, the propeler is always above my face, thus making it impossible if the prop broke, to go into my face... also, i have reinforced the prop with fiberglass tape anyhow... works well

anyway, i will make a proper video eventually, unfortunately just recently, the stupid motor cracked for no reason, just when i got a new fuse, all i can think of is i tightened the screws too much, but sh*t happens as they say... so when the new motor arrives, i will make video

someone else try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AJ
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred