HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:39 AM
The Flying Astronomer
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
I have a Radian and Radian Pro, I really like this termaling and up draft style of RC. What
would be a good next aircraft I'm willing to spend up to AUS$2500.00 any thoughts? I've
been looking at these two. PM me so the discussion doesn't take place here. But I'm after a
non-powered craft suitable for slope and thermal as I have access to both in 5 minutes
drive.

http://www.aeromod.eu/Prodij_eng.htm
http://www.aeromod.eu/Miraj_eng.htm

Cheers,CS
Rob
xrekcor is offline Find More Posts by xrekcor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
I have a Radian and Radian Pro, I really like this termaling and up draft style of RC. What
would be a good next aircraft I'm willing to spend up to AUS$2500.00 any thoughts? I've
been looking at these two. PM me so the discussion doesn't take place here. But I'm after a
non-powered craft suitable for slope and thermal as I have access to both in 5 minutes
drive.

http://www.aeromod.eu/Prodij_eng.htm
http://www.aeromod.eu/Miraj_eng.htm

Cheers,CS
Rob
Wow. Get together with some other blokes of = funding and go in on a real glider! (not being funny, I'm serious)

jo
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:32 PM
The Flying Astronomer
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksno View Post
Wow. Get together with some other blokes of = funding and go in on a real glider! (not being funny, I'm serious)

jo
Hi Jo

I have already seriously given that some thought. But there are no local clubs
that I can find. There is one in the Canberra for about the same money
will supply a full size glider and train you as a glider pilot, but they are like
1100+ kms away.

Cheers,CS
Rob
xrekcor is offline Find More Posts by xrekcor
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:57 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
I haven't been keeping up with receiver technology - what is the current "best" Spectrum receiver for the Radian? Any that I should watch out for? I've heard about the clones and counterfits, so know to watch for those. Actually, do any of the clones work well as a "full range" receiver? That may be an option.... Off to do more reading!
Thanks for the help,
Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:16 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
I have an AR500 in my Radian. Works fine!

I believe that this the entry level full range receiver in the Spektrum line.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:29 PM
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post

I second that. I also use an ar500 in my Radian-Pro.

scb28
scb28 is offline Find More Posts by scb28
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:52 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
I haven't been keeping up with receiver technology - what is the current "best" Spectrum receiver for the Radian? Any that I should watch out for? I've heard about the clones and counterfits, so know to watch for those. Actually, do any of the clones work well as a "full range" receiver? That may be an option.... Off to do more reading!
Thanks for the help,
Colin
I have an AR500 in mine and its been over half a mile away with no control issues at all. 2683 feet up by altimeter and 300 to 400 feet out in front of me. A clone might work at that distance and it might not. I am not willing to try it to find out I can tell you that for sure.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:11 PM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post

I also agree. AR500 works fine in this 3 channel plane and I don't see any resin to put a more expensive Rx in. I'll put more expensive ones in my more complex planes.

Rick
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:34 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
I use the AR500 Rx in all three of my gliders ,,,
All on the one DX5e Tx ,just bind each glider as I use it....
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Help. Just purchased a Radian. Weather's no good for flying yet in my locale but I charged the battery without problem and the receiver worked just fine - all controls responded well. A couple of weeks later I pulled it out of the box again and turned on the transmitter, only to find that the receiver doesn't respond - it doesn't light up and doesn't appear to have any power. The hobby shop suggested I may have inadevertently drained the battery and should re-charge. But when I turn on the charger and plug in the receiver, all I get is a long series of beeps and then alternately flashing red and green lights. I'm certain I've got the charger set up correctly. Does anyone have some ideas about what the problem might be?
Superluminal2 is offline Find More Posts by Superluminal2
Last edited by Superluminal2; Jan 27, 2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:07 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal2 View Post
Help. But when I turn on the charger and plug in the receiver, all I get are a series of beeps and then alternately flashing red and green lights. I'm certain I've got the charger set up correctly. Anybody know what's going on here??
Does the user manual not interpret the various displays of the charger?

R/E
rud-elev is offline Find More Posts by rud-elev
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
World's fastest crashes
Estonia
Joined Feb 2010
295 Posts
So, it's my Radian-pusher test. Outside is -17 C. The sun is shining the second time this month, I think. The remaining time has been overcast and snowy. Unfortunately, the GoPro housing also went foggy

Whiter than White (3 min 55 sec)
siim227 is offline Find More Posts by siim227
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:06 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal2 View Post
Help. Just purchased a Radian. Weather's no good for flying yet in my locale but I charged the battery without problem and the receiver worked just fine - all controls responded well. A couple of weeks later I pulled it out of the box again and turned on the transmitter, only to find that the receiver doesn't respond - it doesn't light up and doesn't appear to have any power. The hobby shop suggested I may have inadevertently drained the battery and should re-charge. But when I turn on the charger and plug in the receiver, all I get is a long series of beeps and then alternately flashing red and green lights. I'm certain I've got the charger set up correctly. Does anyone have some ideas about what the problem might be?
Read the Manual.. Chargeing.. Step 2 Page 9....

Red and Green flashing mean's that it's balancing one or more of the cell's at the same time......
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:09 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,153 Posts
Never, ever, ever leave a lipo plugged into an ESC ... it will drain the lipo dead dead dead.

Never leave a lipo charged, always discharge to approx 3.7v per cell if you will not be using it within 7-10 days.

You may have toasted the battery if you left it plugged into the plane.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:22 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Never, ever, ever leave a lipo plugged into an ESC ... it will drain the lipo dead dead dead.

Never leave a lipo charged, always discharge to approx 3.7v per cell if you will not be using it within 7-10 days.

You may have toasted the battery if you left it plugged into the plane.
So true.....