SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:32 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic
Sorry I meant "break." My typing skills are about as good as my flying.
Mine is abvut the samew as my flyiong
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:36 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,207 Posts
If you must.....

Flaps are the way to go if you need a steeper/slower approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen
I saw somewhere a pop up "air brake" sort of thing on a glider, sort of like the pop up electric motors on some of the really big gliders. (Or jets on a carrier)
It just pops up out of the fuselage above the wings and stands up almost straight (hinged at the front end).
Something like this might slow things down when landing and still let us pop the wings off and on without dealing with servo wires etc.
Has anyone tried this approach?

Where I live there are several school yards and soccer fields, but no large open spaces to fly in.
I need a way to skim in over the trees etc. and then slow things down and lose altitude fairly quickly, and make a gentle landing in a smallish (for a Radian), spot .
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:47 PM
Mobile, AL
Joined Jul 2008
168 Posts
Try spoilers

Not terribly difficult and works wonderfully.
lloyd3521 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd3521
Last edited by lloyd3521; Jul 03, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 03:27 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd3521
Not terribly difficult and works wonderfully.
Sweet! That's what I'm talkin 'bout! Care to share some specifics?
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Aug 28, 2009, 03:32 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen
Where I live there are several school yards and soccer fields, but no large open spaces to fly in.
I need a way to skim in over the trees etc. and then slow things down and lose altitude fairly quickly, and make a gentle landing in a smallish (for a Radian), spot .
Went out for a quickie before dark last night. I have the opportunity to fly out of a fenced in soccer field, TALL fence with taller lights all around, with the idea of shooting some video of a nearby construction site. It will be no problem climbing straight up and out but landing will be tighter. So, last night I practised tight approaches. I came in from altitude with some speed right over this large school yard and then just pulled very tight powered circles while descending. Then I estimated a glide out at the end of the circle for a catch and just cut the throttle, came out of the circle, pulled up and it popped into my hand. Turns out to be a great way to fly-down the altitude into a tighter area.

Fun stuff.
-Allen
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:09 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Spoilers look nice and clean!!!

Just a question, shouldn't spoiler be put so that they are outside of the width of the stab?

I always thought that they might turbulate the air and ruin the effectiveness of the elevator when the spoilers are too in board.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:19 PM
Joined Jul 2007
324 Posts
I'm flying with the dx7 as mentioned. I also did bind correctly. It is my least favorite part of the spektrum tx/rx but one you should do correctly.

Quote:
Try a 7000 and I think you will be pleased with the results.
If I get another I will put the 7000 in it. I may just move on up to a different e-sailplane since I liked this type of flying. For a couple of years now I honestly just thought it would be too boring. Wrong! I've only had a couple issues with the 6200's myself. I've got 3 going now and I've had 2 signal loses in the air well before lvc, but in a katanamd and since I was level luckily at both times it just flew level with no control at all for a very long 3-4 seconds. Each time the plane was coming back almost straight towards me about 50yds out and 30' high. Made me sketchy for the next couple of batteries both times but they've never been duplicated on the ground or happened again in the air?

Quote:
How big is the plane at ~1500 feet up ?
About 8 wingspan's fit behind a thumb. I was trying to teach myself to guess height this way from another poster listing it. I flew a few times with a garmin gps to get some real data to compare. It was easy for my corrected 20/20 vision to see.
I spray painted the bottom black and against the sky and/or clouds visibility was no problem for me. It would have been easy for me to see if it was stalling, or purposing, as the silhouette changes shape in the air showing how it is flying which is what made this plane fun and easy to fly high imho. Also a nice learning platform to teach yourself this artful way of rc flying.

Quote:
With Radian 1500 is pretty easy to pull off, tough to see to be certain, but common.
I've been around this high several times and was shooting to break 2k in the near future. I guess I was overly optimistic on the ar500, but the radian itself would do that no problem if it could stay in range imo. In fact mine kept climbing and climbing not descending. I would guess it was well over 2000' before it was out of sight so I guess I can say I hit 2k! Probably 2.5 to 3000'. It climbed up into the clouds and would pop out of the front right edge now and again but then disappeared from the angle and clouds for good still going up.

Quote:
I came in from altitude with some speed right over this large school yard and then just pulled very tight powered circles while descending.
This is how I would do in one area with tree's on the right and power lines left and small grass area. Nice hill top area overlooking the valley and nice sightlines once up, so drop in quick over the trees or lines, circle off some speed, touch of power if needed and right to your feet or hand. Good stuff!
This looked like a nice brake and dive, pulsar video on espritmodel near the end.

If you like this plane, which I did, and most seem too, keep it lower and have fun riding shorter thermals. It is no fun having to watch a plane you like just float away. Yes, I did the obligatory drive and search to no avail.
Stall'n_N_Haulin is offline Find More Posts by Stall'n_N_Haulin
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:47 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
Spoilers look nice and clean!!!

Just a question, shouldn't spoiler be put so that they are outside of the width of the stab?

I always thought that they might turbulate the air and ruin the effectiveness of the elevator when the spoilers are too in board.
Nice and clean spoilers indeed! Nice job LLoyd.

I've been trying to figure out a way to get the spoilers out further on the wing to keep the turbulance away from the horizontal stabilizer/elevators when they are deployed, but if the wing flexes, the spoiler will buckle and open up. Also, the wing curvature is a problem further out.

Still pondering on a good solution....

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:49 PM
Michigan
Joined Jan 2004
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech
Reread the binding instructions that came with the AR500. It says to insert the bind plug and turn the RX on first.

Are you talking about a preflight range test and mistakenly called it a "proper bind"?
James

Sorry, I wasn't too clear on my post. I was talking about after the initial binding process. When you are ready to fly again, make sure the TX is turned on for a few (5) seconds before turning on the receiver, otherwise you may not get a complete match between the TX and RX.
Richard314 is offline Find More Posts by Richard314
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:09 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech
Reread the binding instructions that came with the AR500. It says to insert the bind plug and turn the RX on first.

Are you talking about a preflight range test and mistakenly called it a "proper bind"?
James
James,

You make a VERY valuable point here around terminology.

Binding and linking are two different things

Binding requires using a binding plug and is only done once to bind the receiver to the transmitter. In most cases you never do that again.

Linking is what happens when you turn on your radio and your plane. The light comes on and you know the plane and the receiver are talking to each other, they are linked. This is not binding.

Many discussions I have read on the forums have gone down wrong paths because say binding when they mean linking.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:21 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
James,

Binding requires using a binding plug and is only done once to bind the receiver to the transmitter. In most cases you never do that again.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

You bind TWICE!!!!! (minimum)

Bind the first time to setup the aircraft. Once you have everything sweet as you like, BIND AGAIN with the proper failsafe positions on the sticks. This ensures that should the aircraft go into failsafe, the surfaces all move to the proper locations.

If you change servo centering, subtrims, etc. the failsafe positions can give you very surprising results!

In fact, I carry a bind plug inside the battery door of my 9303 and 12X at all times ... saved the bacon on the flightline once or twice

You are correct about the difference between BIND and LINK. The link occurs each time you power up the transmitter and receiver.

For operations, always turn on the tx first, then the rx.

To BIND, turn on the rx first with the bind plug in the proper port.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Last edited by tkallev; Aug 28, 2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old Aug 28, 2009, 07:36 PM
Mobile, AL
Joined Jul 2008
168 Posts
spoilers

Spoilers do not affect the elevator. Quite the contrary, I mix elevator with the spoiler switch to offset pitch down. As far as wing flex, the 3/8" carbon fiber spar which replaced the fiberglass OEM don't flex period. The spoilers are 6"x1.25" and very effective.
lloyd3521 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd3521
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
Quote:
Spoilers do not affect the elevator. Quite the contrary, I mix elevator with the spoiler switch to offset pitch down. As far as wing flex, the 3/8" carbon fiber spar which replaced the fiberglass OEM don't flex period. The spoilers are 6"x1.25" and very effective.
Pictures??? Please and thank you.
James

Ooops found them. thanks.
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:20 AM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Quote:

Hey, Lloyd

Where did you get the 3/8" CF spar tube? I've been looking all over in the area where I live and I can't find one. The LHSs don't seem to be able to order one. I found a 10mm tube for the EasyGlider on the Tower website, but I don't know if it is the proper length, or if it is CF? I think it may be fiberglass, also.

Thanks

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:31 AM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomper
Hey, Lloyd

Where did you get the 3/8" CF spar tube? I've been looking all over in the area where I live and I can't find one. The LHSs don't seem to be able to order one. I found a 10mm tube for the EasyGlider on the Tower website, but I don't know if it is the proper length, or if it is CF? I think it may be fiberglass, also.

Thanks

FS

http://www.rcskyflyer.com/BuyEppFoam_.html

found this on a foam search but its in mm measurments
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla