HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:43 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
I was doing a little AP with the Radian this morning and got these neat photos of my shadow...

chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:51 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,357 Posts
@chickenwing - kewl photos!

I had a great flight yesterday but, had reservations about flying in consistent 10 mph winds, with gusts up to 18 mph. The beautiful low clouds convinced me they looked like they were worth trying to touch. I took off and pointed the nose to the wind. I wanted to get up towards the lower edge ceiling of the clouds - I was guessing around 1200 ft - but just couldn't as the winds were too strong and it was cold at 40 deg. I had to keep my left throttle stick on for far too long and was worried about this. On full throttle, slight down elevator, in these winds the Radian just kind of does what it wants really dictated by the wind. Seems to like 2/3 throttle was best, but still hard to climb to the clouds, I'm guessing there wasn't much thermal activity today.

I had the velcro'ed keycam on for recording. I had to use my throttle more than I wanted to on the 3S battery but, still a great 11:51 min flight (came in at 3.75 v per cell). While I was up there, two guys flying powered planes had a mid-air collision well below me and surprisingly I was able to turn around and capture a few lousy frames as I porpoised around with the wind, complete with falling debris . In reviewing the video, the clouds still looked to be another 600+ ft higher. Ahh well, next time. Landing was a little bumpy, I had a great final approach and turn, lined up perfect towards the end of the runway, floating well at two feet off the deck, then boom, wind gust just dropped the nose in. Slightly compressed on the nose. Nine total flights and each has been better than the last. All good, this is a really fun plane that has great air presence as it floats around.

I had invited 320pilot down from his Northeast Kingdom abode and they arrived with a full hanger of AWESOME sailplanes! Good schtuff.

Also, while I was flying one of the pros had a new Enigma and launched that unit. OMG... Just flying around power off was like a rocket ship. amazing to see and hear it launch straight to the sky.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:21 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Well i finally got my hands on another radian today. I didn't get a chance to fly it as the wind really picked up. Both of the ones i felt the wings in the saddle were just like mine before the mod. These guys didnt have any issues so i think it would have been just fine to not do the mode. But with the mod its super strong. I did see a couple of them go up and this 200 m stuff is no Joke Seems way high for this newbie
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Last edited by Krazykayak75; Oct 25, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:08 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykayak75 View Post
can you take a picture of this mod. This way for us Noobs we can see where we need to Glass
I made a real mess of it but it sorts out any loose problems and its not going to break off.

Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:18 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I did the mod to the wing saddle with a strip of fibreglass tape over it and was surprised how much more difficult to was to get the wings into place. The top part of the fuz that goes over the wing does not flex at all now and I have to force the wings in. I never have to adjust them when I am flying. I also have the magnet mod but would not need it with the tape epoxied in place.

Is that fiberglass reinforced tape? It looks like 2 oz fiberglass cloth applied with epoxy.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:27 AM
Bigtex
Joined Mar 2010
39 Posts
Try the velcro soulution -- shown on this forum-- it is the best solution for holding the wings and never needs maintenance--
bigtex57 is offline Find More Posts by bigtex57
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:05 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
@chickenwing - kewl photos!

I had a great flight yesterday but, had reservations about flying in consistent 10 mph winds, with gusts up to 18 mph. The beautiful low clouds convinced me they looked like they were worth trying to touch. I took off and pointed the nose to the wind. I wanted to get up towards the lower edge ceiling of the clouds - I was guessing around 1200 ft - but just couldn't as the winds were too strong and it was cold at 40 deg. I had to keep my left throttle stick on for far too long and was worried about this. On full throttle, slight down elevator, in these winds the Radian just kind of does what it wants really dictated by the wind. Seems to like 2/3 throttle was best, but still hard to climb to the clouds, I'm guessing there wasn't much thermal activity today.
The landing is always the risk in those kinds of winds. However, re altitude gaining/lack of thermals, you can put the plane up wind out in front of you, and get 30 feet at a time by quickly pulling the stick back and then pushing forward. The plane moves backward toward you, but higher in steps each time. When it gets too close, power up on a slight gradient, get some range, and repeat. Just a thought for fun on those days.

jaksno
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:07 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex57 View Post
Try the velcro soulution -- shown on this forum-- it is the best solution for holding the wings and never needs maintenance--
I did a search in this forum for "velcro soultion" and did not find anything about holding a wing on. I did not have time to look through 379 pages. Maybe someone else can chime in here. Please
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:31 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I did a search in this forum for "velcro soultion" and did not find anything about holding a wing on. I did not have time to look through 379 pages. Maybe someone else can chime in here. Please
Ron
Velcro solution, velcro wing mod solution, velcro wings - (that should do it for searching) Post #538
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=538
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:39 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Velcro solution, velcro wing mod solution, velcro wings - (that should do it for searching) Post #538
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=538
Thank You very much.
That looks like a good thing.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:27 AM
Air Strike Inbound!
sesame street
Joined May 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksno View Post
The landing is always the risk in those kinds of winds. However, re altitude gaining/lack of thermals, you can put the plane up wind out in front of you, and get 30 feet at a time by quickly pulling the stick back and then pushing forward. The plane moves backward toward you, but higher in steps each time. When it gets too close, power up on a slight gradient, get some range, and repeat. Just a thought for fun on those days.

jaksno
I call this technique "sky surfing"
if you time it right and slither to and fro quartering upwind with a sharp pull up on the elevator before every tack. you can actually make slow upwind progress without the motor AND gain a little altitude on every tack - providing you don't loose precious energy in the turns. the key is to fly with a little nose down trim, you need speed, so don't be afraid to use a little altitude for airspeed - if you pull it off right you'll gain a little more "up" than you use for airspeed on every tack - you need to be aggressive but smooth, and you definitely need max throws set on your rudder.
Snuffalupagus is offline Find More Posts by Snuffalupagus
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:17 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Is that fiberglass reinforced tape? It looks like 2 oz fiberglass cloth applied with epoxy.
Yes its fibreglass tape applied with Z-poxy finishing resin. I only did it to strenghten the saddle as some guys had broken theirs but the side effect was a very firm wing mount. Without the tape the saddle flexes a lot when you put the wings in.
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomper View Post
Sorry for your loss, Devilscries. I can empathize your feeings. About a year ago I lost two planes to the wings ripping or pulling off...a MPX Acromaster and a 6' Telemaster. I felt so helpless!

I decided that wasn't going to happen again, especially with a foam model. When I assembled my first Radian I wouldn't put her in the air before I added Velcro to the wing roots (1st photo). This gave me some piece of mind but I still had a bit of paranoia because it didn't take too much pull to separate the wings from each other.

Somewhere on another forum a guy posted photos of his near fail-safe way to assure the wings would stay on. So I adopted his idea. Photos 1 and 2 show a Velcro strip hot glued to and running through the fuselage at the wing cavity. The other strips of Velcro are hot glued to the wing. It is nearly impossible now to pull the wings apart without "unlatching" these Velcro locks (third photo). Still, the wing has enough flexibility to withstand a pretty hard landing, even nose in.

Now the only way to lose the wings is for the fuselage wing crown to break under stress. See other mod ideas on this thread for strengthening the wing crown.

Best of success to you when you get your next new Radian

FS
Best solution yet!!
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:18 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Yes its fibreglass tape applied with Z-poxy finishing resin. I only did it to strenghten the saddle as some guys had broken theirs but the side effect was a very firm wing mount. Without the tape the saddle flexes a lot when you put the wings in.
Same thing I did for a break, only I used less cloth with the thought I might add more later. I put it on both top and bottom of the support.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:56 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffalupagus View Post
I call this technique "sky surfing"
if you time it right and slither to and fro quartering upwind with a sharp pull up on the elevator before every tack. you can actually make slow upwind progress without the motor AND gain a little altitude on every tack - providing you don't loose precious energy in the turns. the key is to fly with a little nose down trim, you need speed, so don't be afraid to use a little altitude for airspeed - if you pull it off right you'll gain a little more "up" than you use for airspeed on every tack - you need to be aggressive but smooth, and you definitely need max throws set on your rudder.
Right on.. Just like sailng and playing the shifts. Use the gusts and lulls the right way and you can gain altitude. I've been able to practise this a bit using the RCDeskpilot sim. My old GL was just a bit too heavy to do much of that. The day has to be right too. Cool.
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman