HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:41 AM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai@UCSB
I flew both and I found Radian floats better than EZG.
EZG will be more fun on slope but for beginner thermaling, Radian will be easier.
Hope they will have Radian glider only version, it will be killer.

-Kai
Did you calculate the wing loading for both? My EZGP is much higher than that claimed in the user's manual spec. If the EZGE/P could be built lighter, it should float better.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:42 AM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai@UCSB
I flew both and I found Radian floats better than EZG.
Kai@UCSB, Can you give a comparison of ranging ability. I've thought about getting one, just to play around with in small spaces. I'm not a beginner.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:09 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
When they say the Radian floats, there not kidding, in heavy winds mine went well over 50 yards at only inches from the turf, thought I'd get cute and land it at my feet and it kept flying only to turn over as it neared with sudden gusts going on, I was ticked as normally lands like a feather but conditions were over 20 MPH gusts and it still floats against the rather strong wind, yikes, as far as flying in close quarters, good luck...<>..
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Nov 21, 2008, 01:19 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
nuevo, the Graupner Elektro-Uhu is much smaller and its flight characteristics are such it can be flown in a very small space. It is a floater and thermals well. It flies well with the rudder enlarged to at least twice the stock size.

If you like ailerons and need better performance, there are at least 3 EP discus-launch style planes, such as the electric Lap Dancer made by Polecat Aero.

http://www.polecataero.com/products/lapdancer
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Last edited by Zerts; Nov 21, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 03:57 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,989 Posts
Hello,

Here is some more detail of my experience on both EZG and Radian.
I had one pure glider version of EZG and I use it mainly for AeroTow.
Aero-towing is a lot of fun. Here is the video we took...

Easy Glider Aero Tow (0 min 38 sec)

Launch EZG from hi-star is ok but really not easy to thermal it out. Although it has aileron, I, personally, feel it is not response well. Honestly, I don't have too much fun with my EZG and hi-start.
My EZG was the old version that connecting the aileron connection is painful. I know the new version solve this problem.

I attend the world-soaring-master contest few months ago and got chance to see and fly the new Radian. My first impression is it is very light, at least much lighter than my EZG. For those "sport" gliders I prefer it to be simple. R/E are simple enough for me on this category.

During the world-soaring-master contest, some of us got chance to fly the Radian against each other. Man-on-Man 8min duration with precision landing. 30sec (or 20, i forget) motor run and we have so much fun.

Since I only have like 20min stick time on the Radian, maybe it is too early to draw meaningful conclusions but I feel it flies much "easier" and "float" much better than my EZG.

Nuevo (Jon?),

We flew Radian in about 10mph wind at Soaring Master. It is doing OK. Actually some pilots launch it and trace the small bubble/wave downwind with it and make it back. I feel both EZG and Radian are more fun in relatively calm day. But definitely doable in some windy condition.

Regarding the small landing area, I think Radian will do fine.
See how this kid (Lee?) do the beautiful landing.

PS: All the pictures are from http://www.worldsoaringmasters.com/

Since I am a pure glider guy, adding motor on the nose is not that interesting to me. Hope they will come out with a pure glider version with tow-hook.

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Nov 22, 2008, 04:25 PM
Life is Good!
Germany
Joined Apr 2005
1,200 Posts
Nice write-up Kai...
Tank52 is offline Find More Posts by Tank52
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 2007
218 Posts
Radian owners. Do you find that elevator push rod had to be flexed quite a bit out ward to connect to the horn? My tail piece is centered perfectly but i still have to flex the rod quite a bit. Now it makes a clicking noise when moved up and down. Any suggestions? Post photos if you have any to show me what you have done. thanks!
skimstr is offline Find More Posts by skimstr
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:03 AM
Joined Jun 2007
686 Posts
I want to get one of these for my GFs father for Xmas, he was into it back in the day and I think this one is the perfect plane for him, RTF. He'll Love it!

Who has the best price on the RTF version?

Couldn't find the Radian at any of the usual places that send me discount codes.

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

M
Lota Fun R is offline Find More Posts by Lota Fun R
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:13 PM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimstr
Radian owners. Do you find that elevator push rod had to be flexed quite a bit out ward to connect to the horn? My tail piece is centered perfectly but i still have to flex the rod quite a bit. Now it makes a clicking noise when moved up and down. Any suggestions? Post photos if you have any to show me what you have done. thanks!
I personally don't like that the elevator horn is so far off to the left that you have to curve the pushrod. I did replace both of the pushrods with piano wire that is slightly larger (and I mean very slightly) I sprayed food grade silicon on the wire so that it slides in the tube better, put a z-bend in for the servo and I soldered a metal clevis to the horn end, I like the stiffer wire and it seems more responsive. The problem seems to be that the elevator is too small for the horn next to the rudder area. Ideally, the pushrod should be a straight shot connection into the horn, it would be less work for the servo.
sylifis is offline Find More Posts by sylifis
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:36 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
OK, so why is the horn out there? Of there no reason, then remove the horn and move it closer to the center. No big deal.

If the photos in the manual are accurate, it looks like it is there to clear the rudder. Is that correct? If so, you could cut the rudder to clear the horn when you move it to the center.

I don't see any problem with the way it is set up but if you are concerned about flex in the cable, glue a block under the cable case to support it so that it is not under tension. In fact it looks like there is a support block molded into the fuselage for this very purpose. This is a common practice.

I have this on some of my competition gliders, particularly related to the rudder. Not really a big deal.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:50 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,989 Posts
Alright guys... I got one few days ago... stay tune for more detail report !!!
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:21 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2007
62 Posts
Hello, I just purchased a radian and noticed that the motor cowling is not centered. At first I thought it was glued on crooked but it appears to have been molded that way. Looking down on the model from above it seems that the axis of the motor is aligned a few degrees to starboard.

What is the reason for the offset?

Thanks
12ten is offline Find More Posts by 12ten
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:31 AM
Finland
Joined Nov 2004
573 Posts
Quote:
Hello, I just purchased a radian and noticed that the motor cowling is not centered. At first I thought it was glued on crooked but it appears to have been molded that way. Looking down on the model from above it seems that the axis of the motor is aligned a few degrees to starboard.

What is the reason for the offset?

Thanks

Normally the airplanes have a slight right and down thrust to counter prop torque, it's perfectly normal to make the plane fly straight under power.
Test005 is offline Find More Posts by Test005
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2007
62 Posts
ahh...makes sense. thanks
12ten is offline Find More Posts by 12ten
Old Dec 02, 2008, 05:03 PM
Joined Dec 2007
218 Posts
Took my Radian to the Apollo flying field in Van Nuys over Thx Giving weekend. Needless to say that all of the pilots were really impressed. A few people from the Gas area even came running over when i landed to see who the glider was made by. One person flying there that had a Easy Glider said he wished he had went with the Radian after seeing mine fly. It's an awesome plane!
skimstr is offline Find More Posts by skimstr