Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:26 PM
Lansing, Michigan
Joined Oct 2003
610 Posts
I have nothing to add to the discussion, except this is my first electric sailplane...unless you consider the 50 year old antique that I converted to RC and electric...not. Ordered it on Sunday, opened the box 6:30 today, tossed it around 8:00, and flew nearly an hour, and the battery still had juice...got too dark to fly with these old eyes. WOW! Never thought I would use foam and sailplane in the same sentence, but this thing is amazing
makemcool is offline Find More Posts by makemcool
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:14 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemcool
I have nothing to add to the discussion, except this is my first electric sailplane...unless you consider the 50 year old antique that I converted to RC and electric...not. Ordered it on Sunday, opened the box 6:30 today, tossed it around 8:00, and flew nearly an hour, and the battery still had juice...got too dark to fly with these old eyes. WOW! Never thought I would use foam and sailplane in the same sentence, but this thing is amazing
Hi, M.m.C.

Welcome to Radian addiction, and congratulations! I ordered my first one on a lark because the PNP price was so much better than the balsa floater I had been looking at. I have loved her from the start...so much so that I ordered a second Radian and I don't have a good reason as to why except for the love affair.

One suggestion...do the tail boom mod (post #272) with a length of 10mm x 1mm CF rod. You'll like her even better once you stabilize the sideways movement of the tail.

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Old Jul 16, 2009, 02:57 PM
Lexington, NE
Joined Dec 2001
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_flyer
I wasn't happy with the slop in the control horns, servos and tight push-rods (entering the fuselage). I broke one of the set screws for the control horns (didn't like anyway). So I put a dubro ez connector on the rudder and a 'L' wire on the elevator (for easy removal).

Installed a Zlog, AR6200 and tp3s-1350 (couple of years old). I also hinge taped the canopy so it can't fall off.
I like the looks of your Radian and it sounds like you are having fun with it. I think it is the first foam glider that really works great. At least it is for me. I am also adding the dubro ez connector on the rudder and hadn't thought about using a "L" wire for the elevator. Great Idea. I will have to copy that. Thanks

Mike
Mike 52732 is offline Find More Posts by Mike 52732
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:22 AM
Joined Jul 2009
39 Posts
Radian Prop?

Hi All, Im not sure if any one has post this before.

My Radian prop snaped on me today. Im sure alot of you"s had this problem or some.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Sorry if my spelling is not the Best.

Cheers,
parkjoe is offline Find More Posts by parkjoe
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:26 AM
can buzzards see thermals...
Boerne (Burn-y), Texas
Joined Jul 2007
104 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017613
Check out my thread here, all about Radian prop failures and how to fix them. (But replacement parts are a little hard to come by at times because there are so many Radians flying now)

David
dhaverlah is offline Find More Posts by dhaverlah
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:25 PM
Joined May 2007
46 Posts
I have been following this thread for some time. It looks like the Radian is quite a glider. My previous experience with gliders was an Olympic II. I am interested in an electric powered glider. Have any of you compared the performance of the 2M Chrysalis electric, electric powered Olympic II, or any other built up 2M or 100" span glider. It seems that for the money the Radian will be hard to beat. I am looking for a simple to fly, durable, floater type sailplane. Is there a way to install spoilers on the Radian or are they not needed. Thanks
drpje2000 is offline Find More Posts by drpje2000
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:32 PM
Mobile, AL
Joined Jul 2008
168 Posts
Have not figured out the spoiler configuration (yet), but they sure would be helpful cause this sucker f l o a t s f o r e v e r!!!!!!
lloyd3521 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd3521
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:36 PM
Mobile, AL
Joined Jul 2008
168 Posts
parkjoe

radian discussion board: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post12663833

Japanese site: http://www.aircraft-world.com/. - shopping list for Radian
Part #AN-7124-04 4mm COLLET $5.95
Part #AN-7242-24 52mm Hub-neutral pitch $12.90
Part # AN-7251-50 50mm Spinner $5.70
Part # AN-7234-32 Aeronaut 10x8 CAM carbon blades $11.60

Paid the $11 for fast shipment, received order in three business days.

When I get around to it I am going to try an 11x6 prop, but then it is already a bottle rocket.
lloyd3521 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd3521
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:14 PM
Newbury Park, California
Joined Apr 2002
651 Posts
drpje2000:

I have both a Radian and an electrified Oly II. The radian is a better plane in every way except that I see can my Oly II farther away because it is so much bigger.

I've owned two electrified Oly IIs. I gave the first one to a fellow club member who now flies it in the wonderful open spaces around Reno Nevada. I have the second on the shelf. Like the Omega, my Oly sits while I fly the Radian.

About the only sailplane that could pull me away from the Radian is the electric AVA, which I can't afford. An AVA cost about seven times as much as a Radian airframe.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline Find More Posts by Joe Minton
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:36 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,734 Posts
Beats the daylights out of my old Great Planes Spectra.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:10 PM
Joined May 2007
46 Posts
What is it about the design of the Radian that makes it such a popular glider. Is it the light weight, wing design, or type of dihedral? Would there be any advantage in purchasing a 2M Chrysalis electric over the Radian? Maybe only the spoilers or if you like to build. Where is the best place to purchase a Radian. I am looking for the PNP as I have a DX6i transmitter, 6100E receiver, and the micro servos. It looks like I might have to get a longer range receiver. With the PNP version I will need to purchase a battery and charger. I have an E-Flite 2-3 cell 7.4-11.1V Lipo Balancing Charger. Will I be able to use this charger and where is the best place to purchase the battery.
Thanks again for all the help.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:17 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpje2000
What is it about the design of the Radian that makes it such a popular glider. Is it the light weight, wing design, or type of dihedral? Would there be any advantage in purchasing a 2M Chrysalis electric over the Radian? Maybe only the spoilers or if you like to build. Where is the best place to purchase a Radian. I am looking for the PNP as I have a DX6i transmitter, 6100E receiver, and the micro servos. It looks like I might have to get a longer range receiver. With the PNP version I will need to purchase a battery and charger. I have an E-Flite 2-3 cell 7.4-11.1V Lipo Balancing Charger. Will I be able to use this charger and where is the best place to purchase the battery.
Thanks again for all the help.
RTF
Light weight ( about 26 oz all up )
Light wing loading
Great float
Reasonable penetration ( not super but not bad )

Very powerful lauch motor/battery combo

Very predictable handling. No bad habits.

Wings are stiff enough for TD. A bit flexy if you are going to do a lot of powered aerobatics, but that is not what it was made for.

Spoilers would be nice but not necessary.

If you land off angle, a little hard, etc, typically no damage.

If you do break something, a little CA and kicker and you are back in the air.

Other than that, not a very good glider.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:21 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,734 Posts
My old plane weighed about 50 oz. where this one weighs about 30. That could explain a lot of it. I got mine from Hobby Zone. You can use your charger if it has the same style balance plugs as on the battery or you could use an adapter. I ordered a couple of identical batteries from Hobby City. They are the Turnigy 1300 3 cell. Much cheaper, and higher C rating.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:54 PM
Joined May 2007
46 Posts
aeajr:

Not a very good glider!! Maybe I should consider something else!! There doesn't seem to be any comments from the Chrysalis group on this thread. Any comparisons from someone who has flown both.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:01 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,809 Posts
drpje2000,
Did you not recognize that your leg was being pulled with aeajr's post???
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn