Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:15 AM
United States, NY, Syosset
Joined Oct 2008
6 Posts
What is the suggested battery location to get the manual suggested CG. All the way aft?
wire10 is offline Find More Posts by wire10
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:29 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
HEAT AND ESC FAILURE

Anyone having a problem with the ESC? One of our club members just got a Radian. We had it out flying one day, around 50 degrees. Longest motor run was probably 2 minutes. The next time he tried to start the motor it would not work. Horizon thinks the ESC failed. Read the note from my buddy.

Ed

They highly recommend not to use full throttle-3/4 to climb would be
the best. They say things heat up pretty fast when the throttle is
wide open!!!!!!

Are there air holes to allow cooling air to flow over the ESC and battery? We were flying in 50 degrees on a cloudy day. What would happen if it had been 90 degrees and sunny?

Anyone having problems?

I have seen this happen on Easy Gliders when guys fly them around like parkflyers. EG has vent holes but the exhusts are very small. You have to open them up. Not sure what the Radian has in terms of air vents.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:43 PM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Weather was 88degrees and almost no wind today...here are a few pics of my second day of flying the Radian....all I can say is...get one, get flying...it is a fun plane... I am using an Align 2100ma battery, it weighs in at 5oz. and runs all day. Because of the extra weight I am using full throttle to get to altitude, so far no ESC problems...I've done several loops in a row and then back up to altitude...during one landing it extended further than I planned and the nose hit a tree (zero damage) couldn't believe it. Here are some pics and it was very hot this morning, the motor felt cool when I brought it in. I added super magnets next to the key inside the wings to give it more holding power for the loops, I replaced the power connectors with Deans and I replaced the pushrod locks with metal clevis's that are soldered, seems to be more responsive too.
sylifis is offline Find More Posts by sylifis
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:09 PM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wire10
What is the suggested battery location to get the manual suggested CG. All the way aft?
Several things may vary for your setup, such as your receiver placement, I suggest you measure from the leading edge of the wing 2.5 inches (as they suggest) next to fuse on bottom and place a small round piece of painters blue tape or similar item, do this on both wings, then hold the plane fully loaded up on your two middle fingers and see which way it wants to go moving the battery forward or aft appropriately till you get it to stay balanced. Once you have it be sure to lock it in place with velcro straps or tie strips...you don't want it moving after launch.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:36 PM
Joined Dec 2007
218 Posts
Ok so I couldn't resist. I went out and purchased a Parkzone Radian RTF kit. I mostly was interested in the DX5i transmitter that came with it. I immediately took the glider to the park to fly it and I was pleasantly surprised. It flew really nice, had a much different feel than the easy star and it glided with ease. I had no problem finding thermals and keeping it up for long periods of time. The 2 meter wingspan really makes a difference. It had more than enough power and there is no need to upgrade. My only concern is that the tail boom seems to be really flimsy...no where near as sturdy as the tail boom on the easy star. My other concern is that I think the plane might have been used and returned and sold to me as new. The box had damage and the horizontal tail piece had damage but nothing major. It didn't effect the flight characteristics at all as far as i could tell. And could another Radian owner tell me if mid section of the tail boom on their plane has a separate section that was glued into place instead of one long solid piece. I'm curious to know if the hobby store that sold me the plane did some kind of repair to it and that's why the tail boom is so flimsy. Other than that im very happy with the plane and im looking forward to many great flights with it!
skimstr is offline Find More Posts by skimstr
Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:02 AM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
My Radian fuse also came with a patch midway and I had the same initial thoughts....seems okay tho...but for safety I wrapped a piece of clear tape one complete turn around the fuse at that point (I feel better now) .....as for any damage to the tail section I would ask the supplier for a replacement right away.
Last edited by sylifis; Nov 19, 2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2007
218 Posts
Ok good. So it's not just my plane then. Yea i'll probably go back to the hobbystore and complain that they sold me a damaged plane. I think they knew it to cuz they gave me $10 off and a free neck strap for the radio to help seal the deal.
skimstr is offline Find More Posts by skimstr
Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:17 AM
Joined Sep 2008
15 Posts
radian v/s EasyGlider Pro?

All, I am trying to decide between the two and cant make up my mind. How does the Radian compare to the EasyGlider Pro. When I look at the specs, they seem very similar (wing area/span, weight). Can anyone comment on glide performance, which is better?

I am assuming EZG is more handy/fun with the ailerons, which can be setup as spoilers and also for some light aerobatics.

EZ Glider Pro Specifications
Wing Length: 72 in.
Wing Area: 645 Sq in.
Wing Loading: 6.25 oz/sq ft. (glider)
Fuselage Length: 44 in.
Weight (English): 34 oz (Electric)
Weight (Metric): 29 oz. (Glider)
Target User: Beginner-Intermediate
Reccomended Equipment
Motor: 200 - 300 watt 36mm Outrunner
Speed Control: 25 - 37 amp
Propeller: 12 x 6
Battery: 2S 3200mAh LiPo
Servos: (2) HS-82HD and (2) HS-55
Reciever: Mini 6S or Micro 05S

Radian
# Wingspan: 78.7 in (2 meters)
# Overall Length: 44.7 in (1137mm)
# Flying Weight: 30 oz (830 g)
# Motor Size: 480 brushless outrunner, 960Kv
# Servos: Sub-micro 3-wire
# CG (center of gravity): 62mm behind the leading edge of the wing
# Speed Control: E-flite 30A Pro Brushless ESC with Switch-Mode BEC (EFLA1030) (included)
# Recommended Battery: 11.1V 1300mAh Li-Po (PKZ1033) (included)
dontbother is offline Find More Posts by dontbother
Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:26 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
The most obvious comparison, the EGPro is a kit. The Radian is RR or RTF

EG can be pure glider or electric. Radian is electric only.

EG has ailerons, Radion does not.

Both have light enough wing loading to be considered floaters.

EG is Elapor foam and Radian is Z foam. Similar but not the same. Someone else can comment on the foam comparision.

EG, well proven history of success with a large user community. Radian is new, yet to be proven over time.

Both come from well known and respected brands.

Among glider pilots, Easy Glider has gained a level of respect as an entry level glider and as a low cost fun ship. Many glider clubs run "one design" contests using the Easy Glider ( non-electric ).

While I will recommend either as a first electric glider, for the pilot who wants to go to a pure glider, the Easy Glider gives you that path. The Radian does not.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:19 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
Gads, I have the Easy Glider, took months to get the glider version only, last received it but weather turning bad colder etc, while near same time have the Radian and has had lots of action with the Electric format...so my Easy Glider is currently not being used, was to use the Hi-Start on the Easy Glider, pure glider here, but its been Radain electric todate...<>...

The Radian available in the RTF format is exactly that, only required minimal fastening on the elevator and rudder, infact one was believe the rudder already hooked up, so its indeed ready to fly immediately..<>...

The Multiplex Easy Glider will require some assembly, nothing major, but not quite the true RTF...<>..

Noted in other posts mention on the Radian fuselage, mine has a line on the right side towards the rear, appears most are that way, just checking seemed sturdy to me, only slight flex horizontally also some length on the fuselage going on here, believe its just the way the factory assembled these, to me its not been a concern todate...<>...
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Nov 20, 2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:45 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbother
All, I am trying to decide between the two and cant make up my mind. How does the Radian compare to the EasyGlider Pro. When I look at the specs, they seem very similar (wing area/span, weight). Can anyone comment on glide performance, which is better?

I am assuming EZG is more handy/fun with the ailerons, which can be setup as spoilers and also for some light aerobatics.
I've got both and my opinion is that the Radian beats the EZ Glider hands down unless you are wanting a pure motorless glider.

In my opinion, the Radian handles and flies much better than the EZ Glider. I can't exactly describe the difference, but the Radian flies pretty much like a regular R/E glider. I find it easier to land in a confined space. The Radian has more wing and less weight. In this size plane the difference may be more pronounced than bigger planes. The Radian's larger working surfaces for the rudder and elevator seem to more than compensate for its lack of ailerons.

The Radian's simplicity means that I keep it in the back of the car and when I want to fly I simply plug in the wings -- no fiddling hooking up the aileron servos. It has all the power you would ever need for fun flying.

This is just one guy's opinion. And if anyone likes the EZ Glider better, I would be pleased to sell mine.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Nov 20, 2008, 02:09 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,839 Posts
Dharban/Don:

Do you have the EZGE or the Pro? I would be interested in purchasing it, but w/o motor, w/o electronics except HS-81's or similar would be good.

wnppmy:

I am also in market for EZG, non-powered.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Nov 21, 2008, 02:31 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,971 Posts
I flew both and I found Radian floats better than EZG.
EZG will be more fun on slope but for beginner thermaling, Radian will be easier.
Hope they will have Radian glider only version, it will be killer.

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:25 AM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
883 Posts
it shouldn't be that hard to convert it to a true glider, plus without the motor etc you could ballast it down a touch or add spoilers etc
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:38 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM4kq
it shouldn't be that hard to convert it to a true glider, plus without the motor etc you could ballast it down a touch or add spoilers etc
Here come the modifiers! Those who can take anything and make it better, or at least different! Tim Taylor lives on!

I can't wait to see what you guys do with this one. I have seen some great modifications done to RTF aircraft. No reason why this one should be any different.

( Where's that hobby knife?)