HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:03 PM
Where's my Coffee!
United States, VA, Sweet Briar
Joined Dec 2004
129 Posts
Multiple Radians

We have 4 or five Radians at my field. I used a wide permanent marker to draw 6 inch angled bars on the bottom of each wing so I can easily identify my bird at altitude. Having more than one Radian in the air with the stock marking can lead to a real mess.

Happy flying and make sure you are actually flying your bird!!

Dave
Dave Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Dave Gardner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:27 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
The blessed bird

I now have 38 flights on my new Radian, the plane that I thought was going to be a nightmare from what I experienced on her first flight. She has proved to be a gentle lady and has my total respect. She makes me look good, especially those long, soft landings (on hard dirt). In those 38 flights the only mod I have made is to affix some velcro to the surfaces where the wings butt up together...no more slipping and sliding during flight and landings.

Lost her in the sun this morning. No sweat! Just let off on the controls, nudged the left rudder a little and she came creeping back into my vision, completely oblivious to my concern.

Seems there is another Radian thread on RC Groups. I ran across it earlier today. I read through a bunch of pages. The consensus there is an issue with the stock prop, that it is prone to breaking during rev-up. I haven't had a problem with mine but I thought I should probably "err" on the side of safety, so I decided to replace the prop. Can't find one anywhere, nor is the Graupner 10x8 available.

I ended up doing what KC suggests on that other thread. Kinda expensive, but according to the "experts" there is a noticeable improvement in thrust along with the desired safety factor. In case you are interested in a complete prop assembly replacement (Aeronaut), go to post #1397 and #1403..........(I ordered the 10x8 CAM prop instead of the 10x7 as KC suggested -- Hobby-Lobby).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...922597&page=94

Also, "fluorescent" or "neon" ORANGE trim covering applied to the underside is pretty visible when she is up there about 1/4 mile or so.

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Last edited by frogstomper; Jun 22, 2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:35 PM
El Dorado Hills, California
Joined Nov 2005
123 Posts
I just bought a new RTF Radian on Friday and flew four 30-minute sessions this weekend. This is my first sailplane of any kind. I quickly found that I could catch thermals over pavement and streets, but the lift became less predictable out over the fields.
During one flight it was a bit windy (10-12mph) and I found landing to be a bit challenging.

My impression after flying it this past weekend is that it really needs ailerons. Turning with just the rudder seemed clumsy to me. Has anyone added ailerons to their Radian?
I have a DX6i, so I was thinking it would be easy to add flaperon or spoileron function as well.
alpinex is offline Find More Posts by alpinex
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:42 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
You are right, turning with rudder/dihedral is not as precise as ailerons. Just like the typical 3 channel parkflyer is not as precise as a 4 channel plane.

However for thermal soaring that level of precision is not required. Many people love the simplicity and stable handling of a R/E/high dihedral winged glider.. But if you prefer ailerons, by all means add them.

Of you put ailerons out near the tips, which is the usual place, You may wish to take some dihedral out of the wing.

You could more easily add flaps close to the fuse and hook them up as flapperons. Or use mid-wing ailerons, similar to the easy glider. Not quite as positive as tip ailerons but helpful for landing and you would not have to modify the polyhedral angle in the outer wing.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,091 Posts
Dont do it!

This has been hashed over and again, but you will not improve the performance of your radian by adding ailerons. I could see flaps if you needed to land in a small LZ

Go to high rates, move the CG aft, get used to the how the airplane fly's.

Many many serious sailplane guys are flying the thing stock .... give it some time.
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:09 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
This has been hashed over and again, but you will not improve the performance of your radian by adding ailerons. I could see flaps if you needed to land in a small LZ

Go to high rates, move the CG aft, get used to the how the airplane fly's.

Many many serious sailplane guys are flying the thing stock .... give it some time.
Exactly right.

My AVA doesn't have flaps or ailerons and I love it. $800 too.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:37 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Mod my Radian?

Hi, Alpinex. Welcome to the Radian cult.

Ailerons????? Why? Here comes my two cents..........

I have flown perhaps 30 to 35 model aircraft over the past few years. With many of them the first thing I did was sit down and figure out some mods that I thought might make them fly better. Most of the time it was all a waste of time. These models are designed and tested for a particular niche or purpose and then priced as low as possible to be competitive. The Radian's niche is thermal hunting and she is priced far below her effective competition. A few times my mods worked out pretty well, but most of them added little or nothing to the performance (ie, ailerons on the HZ SuperCub).

My Radian is only 2-1/2 weeks old and the "mod" urge has crept into my thoughts. However, over the past 42 flights, most of them 20 to 30 minutes riding thermals, I have decided that I like her just the way she is -- stock. Yes, I have to adjust myself to her characteristics instead of forcing her to be like other planes I have flown. She is so majestic up there. In fact, I ordered another Radian today so she'd have a sister. On this one I will swap out the prop/spinner assembly to obtain a better degree of safety, but that is all. She'll remain true to the intent of her designers.

OK, that said, if you really "need" to do something to her, let it be flaps, but as far inbound as you can place them. Outer ailerons will mess up the airfoil to some degree, possibly affecting her innate ability to thermal so easily. You don't need ailerons when you're up that high. Of course, if you want a hot-liner, ailerons are essential. But why not buy a hot-liner instead.

I really love those long, smooth landing approaches, but I have to adjust myself to her to make them look beautiful. They're not at all like the approaches I get from any of her current hangar mates.

Good luck with your choices.......

BTW -- She poked up into the clouds this morning, about 1/4 mile up. It was a little disconcerting to lose sight of her up so high, but I pushed the control stick up into the upper left quadrant until she came tumbling back into sight. She had moved a good ways from where I was looking for her. I got all excited and want to try that again.

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:20 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2002
235 Posts
One of the mods that has been used to help with the rudder authority is to install a cf tube from about wing te to almost the rudder hinge line on the bottom side of the fuse

You can use the glue joint where the fuse was molded as a straight line

This will solve two issues that are noted quite a bit in the radian threads

one of the issues is the fuse is not straight when it is NIB
When I got mine it was at my LHS and they had two, one was straight and it is the one I took of course

the other issue is that this tube will take a lot of the flex out of the fuse that is induced by the rudder

hope that helps
Terror Dactyl is offline Find More Posts by Terror Dactyl
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:50 PM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Agree with all that has been said..
Ailerons and dihedral usually work against each other..
Increase your rudder throws is maybe all it needs !!

junglegym is offline Find More Posts by junglegym
Last edited by junglegym; Jun 24, 2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:12 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomper
Hi, Alpinex. Welcome to the Radian cult.

Ailerons????? Why? Here comes my two cents..........

FS
That was an extremely well done post and your nailed it. I agree completely.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:53 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
Did some onboard video with the Radian tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYaVMkf5D0

Sorry, YouTube removed it because they said it was too long.
Foamaholic is online now Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Last edited by Foamaholic; Jun 23, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 08:12 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,537 Posts
Don't know if this has been covered or not, but I noticed the little staples on the control rod tubes pulled out of the foam. To fix I threaded some kevlar on to a needle and made a couple of loops from side to side to hold both tubes in their place. A drop of CA and good to go.

The only other "mod" I am thinking of is getting one of those Zero-Gravity chairs (multi position recliner).

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:03 AM
TGK
USA
Joined Jun 2004
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ
The only other "mod" I am thinking of is getting one of those Zero-Gravity chairs (multi position recliner).

RonJ
Ron, let us know what you find. I too am looking for a portable multi position reclining chair to reduce neck aches from looking up for long periods of time.
TGK is offline Find More Posts by TGK
Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:19 AM
Newbury Park, California
Joined Apr 2002
651 Posts
Do a Google search for "Gravity Chair". There are a Jillion of them from between $70 and $1700.
Joe Minton is offline Find More Posts by Joe Minton
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:20 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,537 Posts
Cabela's have them on sale now for about $50. In Wisconsin we also have Farm & Fleet and Fleet Farm (don't ask). $50 there to.

Wal-Mart had them last year in our area for about the same $$$. Would have bought one then but wife said I already had to many folding chairs.
Can't help it, everytime someone comes out with a new folding chair that has some wierd thing going for it, i.e. umbrella, beverage holders, attached tables, etc., etc....I have to have it ! Right now my favorite is an old Coleman folding directors chair with fold out table on the side. Holds beverages, chips, sandwiches, all the things necessary for a successful flight.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Last edited by RonJ; Jun 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM.