HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:54 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
At this risk of being redundant, confirm the following ...

I presume you centered your trim on the radio
inserted the stab
threaded the pushrod onto the fastener
Slid the stab forward and taped in place
confirmed the elevator nuetral
tightened the push rod
confirm up is up down is down ...

Toss

I've seen cases were there was trouble like you described, all three are around the stab position
-centering the trim
-tightenting the pushrod screw
-taping the stab in place

Good check list. YES to all the points offered.

I have flown perhaps 30 models and never had anything akin to this happen before. I am leaning very heavily on the rudder separation causing the irrational behavior. How that happened I have no clue. I could get the Radian back to upright from inverted with the elevator control but she would immediately wing over back to inverted. Total flight time was a mere 15 seconds so not enough time (nor altitude) to figure out the problem while airborne.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. By Monday I will be able to get into town for some CA hinges (live 60 mi from closest LHS) and I am sure I can enjoy a flight similar to my EasyStar and EasyGlider. I expect the lighter Radian to perform better and catch some good rides out over the desert and farm fields where I fly.

More later about the successes which I fully expect are forthcoming. Meanwhile, my posts are an FYI for this thread about the weak tail boom and the flimsy rudder attachment both of which can be easily remedied. And I'll be using a stiff rubber band over the canopy on all future flights.

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:00 PM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r
You mean like this?
Mine suffered same spare nose part is pretty cheap but I would of had to wait for it to be ordered and shipped. So I got a regular star mount from an Eflite brushless motor or similar and mounted it externally over the damaged Radian firewall had this working well for nearly a year now .....
junglegym is offline Find More Posts by junglegym
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:02 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,200 Posts
Frog,
I got my Radian in October, and have more than 50 flights logged with probably 40 hours in the air (still no broken prop). I usually launch at half throttle, and then increase to full as it goes to vertical, and grab a "handful" of down elevator. I have dual rates on the R/E, and have found that I have to have them at max to keep the plane flying straight during the climb. On low rate, it gets away from me. I switch to low rates after throttle-off, and it flies splendidly.
Don't forget it's a glider, and flies best without power. The motor is just a launching device, IMO.
My guess is your battery knocked the canopy off. On mine, I abandoned the velcro battery strap, and added velcro to the battery and the cockpit to hold it more securely, and about an inch forward of the fully-seated position. I have complete faith in the magnets, and do fly inverted often.
I'm thinking the rudder broke loose on impact. Easy fix. I have done no mod's to my bird other than the battery/velcro and painted the wing undersides red, for when it's under clouds at 1300- 1400 ft AGL and just about invisible as a white plane.
I don't consider the Radian to have any weak areas, as long as I avoid soil penetration tests.

You're gonna love your Radian. It thermals well. 5mph wind is nothing. When you get over 10mph, it's time for some ballast.
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:35 AM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Gopherhunter

That's probably the best analysis for what I experienced. I launched at low rate about 30% Exponential and 40% throw distance for both rudder and elevator. It sure looked like a lot of throw compared to my EasyStar, and I thought that should be conservative enough, but from what you are telling me it needs lots of control surface exposure. When I get the CA hinges on the rudder I'll be sure to increase the rates.

As for the rudder tearing away, I can think of nothing other than a crash that would cause it to separate at the heat crease the way it did. BUT, and it's a BIG BUT, there is absolutely no damage elsewhere to the plane. That would have had to be a mighty and direct crash to tear away the rudder. I have to admit that I didn't give the rudder a close inspection before I launched. It may have been 'damaged' a little before it got to me. Who knows...!!! I am a lot more aware now and I am sure I will enjoy floating this plane around the sky.

Appreciate your comments, and the comments, advice, and hints from all the others who chimed in their dos centavos.

FS
Old Jun 14, 2009, 08:59 PM
Joined Jul 2006
34 Posts
Flies great. Got to 1,000 in just over a minute. I tried to order a spare spinner but every company is back ordered. Does anyone know of another brand prop adapter and spinner , prop etc that will fit the plane like the factory one ? I had the wing pull loose at lauch and crash but this was my fault. I have about 100 good trouble free flights, everyone that sees it wants one.
Lee
walkermsg is offline Find More Posts by walkermsg
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:49 AM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkermsg
Flies great. Got to 1,000 in just over a minute. I tried to order a spare spinner but every company is back ordered. Does anyone know of another brand prop adapter and spinner , prop etc that will fit the plane like the factory one ? I had the wing pull loose at lauch and crash but this was my fault. I have about 100 good trouble free flights, everyone that sees it wants one.
Lee
Tower Hobby had some recently, also check atlanta hobby.
sylifis is offline Find More Posts by sylifis
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:39 AM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,740 Posts
Maidened mine, and it floats like nothing I have flown, much more so than my old balsa sailplane. Launched at half throttle. Today I was up pretty high and noticed it wasn't coming down, then the wind came up suddenly and I thought I better get it down. With a few tight turns it came down nicely and landed at about zero ground speed. What a great plane.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:32 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,622 Posts
Maidened my new Radian at a local E-Fly. Much better than my old Easy Star or new Easy Glider.

Did have a learning experience though. Two of us, sitting in our lawn chairs, nearly specked out, and.........a guy launches a Zagi that gets out of control and someone shouts "heads up".....I take my eyes off the Radian for a moment to look out for the Zagi, missed us. Look back up to relocate the Radian and start to control it. Not responding....Found out I was looking at my buddy's plane. HELP !!! LOST IT !!!
The guy with the Zagi saw it go down wayyyyy-over-there. Found it...no damage.

Think there is a lesson here someplace ?

Ron
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:09 PM
Newbury Park, California
Joined Apr 2002
651 Posts
Paint it ;o)
Joe Minton is offline Find More Posts by Joe Minton
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:26 PM
...the wind usually blows
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Wear a helmet.
av8r is offline Find More Posts by av8r
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:38 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,104 Posts
Ban the zagi dude/s.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:42 AM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
The re-maiden

Awright...!!!

Any misgivings I might have had about the Radian have been completely dispelled. I re-hinged the rudder and had already bolstered the tail boom. Since I do not consider my first experience with her to have been at all a maiden flight I'll report that today's session with her was the official christening.

I had to adjust myself to her characteristics, but once that was accomplished I spent nearly a whole hour floating her around the sky. The single battery pak still had plenty of juice when finally the temperature got hot enough that I had to call it a morning. She could have gone on for more. After attaining some altitude she just floats and floats.

I did have to add a bit of weight to the tail (a might nose heavy w/2150mAh 3s Lipo) and after I got the trim adjusted properly she seemed like she just didn't want to come down. I have owned and flown three powered "gliders(?)" but not one compares to the Radian for a real glider experience.

She is pretty touchy in the air (demonstrates good balance). With any amount of power I had to keep my finger on the down elevator. Wide, easy turns were uneventful, but in tightening up the turn I noticed a good amount of wing drop which can be compensated for with some up elevator. It's natural for a plane with such a narrow wing to do that. You just don't want it to happen on a landing approach. It would be good to program some up elevator into the rudder control to help with this (coordinated turn).

All in all I give the Radian an enthusiastic THUMBS UP. She was very exciting to fly, and I am looking forward to my next session with her.

FS
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:03 PM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ
Maidened my new Radian at a local E-Fly. Much better than my old Easy Star or new Easy Glider.

Did have a learning experience though. Two of us, sitting in our lawn chairs, nearly specked out, and.........a guy launches a Zagi that gets out of control and someone shouts "heads up".....I take my eyes off the Radian for a moment to look out for the Zagi, missed us. Look back up to relocate the Radian and start to control it. Not responding....Found out I was looking at my buddy's plane. HELP !!! LOST IT !!!
The guy with the Zagi saw it go down wayyyyy-over-there. Found it...no damage.

Think there is a lesson here someplace ?

Ron
LOL.... Same thing happened to my mate and me flying Radians,2 spec's after about 5 mins my mate says," somethings up, no response" I then had a scan of the sky, but could only see one glider," where's your glider"? I asked he pointed at mine WHOOPS !!!! He'd been watching mine for most of the flight, we never saw or found his Radian , he had to go buy another one.
I hate taking my eyes off the gliders when they're spec's, easy to loose them in the background sky \ cloud , I've never lost one but come close a couple of times .....
junglegym is offline Find More Posts by junglegym
Last edited by junglegym; Jun 19, 2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:26 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,200 Posts
Frogstomper,

Glad to hear your Radian has redeemed herself.

I tried a 2100mAh lipo once when I first got my Radian, thinking it would be nice to have the extra power for additional flight time, but I found I can fly the Radian for close to an hour on the stock 1300 if there's any lift around.

The plane glides much better without that added weight, IMO.

The 2100 might be nice in some wind, but I prefer to add some ballast in the wing joiner tube. My $.02.

I have been manually mixing a little up elevator on those turns you describe, but will try programming my 9303 to do it.
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:26 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
The Honeymoon

Had her out again this afternoon for some thermal hunting. Outside temps were about 98 to 102 degrees and with the contrast of the desert against the green alfalfa and corn I didn't have any problems finding some good updrafts. She floated around in the lift getting almost too far up for my poor eyesight. After about 25 minutes I had to bring her in because I was getting tired of stretching my neck muscles for that long.

Geez, I'm really glad I bought this bird. I was just about to lay out some really big bucks for a 2m balsa model and a Hi-Start launcher. There's certainly no need for that with the PZ Radian in my hangar. This should be as great a success for Horizon as has been the Super Cub and Trojan.

I'm still working on my Senior Telemaster. I'll get her finished someday, but that's likely to be awhile since I am now hooked on the Radian...flying time for me is more fun than building time.

BTW, the 2150 mAh batt pak doesn't hinder her performance in the least, not for me anyway. I don't have any of the 1300 mAh batts but I certainly agree that there should be plenty of power in them for five or six launches up into thermal haven.

FS
Last edited by frogstomper; Jun 18, 2009 at 09:34 PM.