HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2009, 05:46 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
Don't know if this has been asked yet, has anyone tried adding flaps to the wing? Just thinking about being able to spot land it in a tight area.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2009, 06:31 PM
...the wind usually blows
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Don't know if this has been asked yet, has anyone tried adding flaps to the wing? Just thinking about being able to spot land it in a tight area.
It's been discussed in one of these threads, but I haven't seen where anybody has done it yet. I'd be concerned about messing up this plane's already excellent flying capabilities. I've seen at least one post about stiffening up the rear of the fuse resulting in much better control response. I'd be inclined to try that before messing with the wings.
av8r is offline Find More Posts by av8r
Old May 23, 2009, 09:20 AM
Joined Oct 2008
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Spoilers would increase the sink rate and allow for easy short landings. If done right I do not think such a mod would be harmful except the added weight.
AstroDad is offline Find More Posts by AstroDad
Old May 23, 2009, 09:36 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,117 Posts
If one was inclined to butcher the wings in an attempt to make it "better" flaps would be the best bet for spot landings, not spoilers.
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jun 10, 2009, 03:30 PM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Radian quirks???

Hello to everyone:

I just received my new Radian PNP. It is a really nice looking glider. I'm sorry to report some disappointments, though. Perhaps I'm a little too picky or fussy, but I've had some problems that I am sure I can remedy. I am wondering if any of you have run into anything similar.

First I noticed that the fuselage just fore of the stabilizer is quite weak and before the maiden I reinforced it with a 6" length of bamboo chopstick pushed up thru the bottom and toward the front...seems much more stable now. Then both the thumb screws broke as I was adjusting the elevator and rudder to neutral...replaced them. Everything else looked good so I took her out for her maiden.

Zonkers!!!!! I launched her into about a 5mph wind and she took off straight up and over into inverted. Luckily she had rapidly gained some altitude but she was radical and virtually uncontrollable. Twice when I got her over to right-side-up she would wing back over into inverted. The cockpit flew off and the battery hung out down below. I tried to fly her for about 15 seconds, most of that being inverted. Finally I cut the throttle and let her find her way to the ground.

Fearing the worst I rushed to the crash site (alfalfa field). By some sort of miracle she had landed upright with little or no damage. Besides the missing canopy and the battery having come detached the only thing I could see amiss was the rudder. It had severed itself from the vertical stabilizer and was loosely hanging by the tape strips.

I am surmising that the irrational performance in the air could have been due to the malfunction of the rudder attachment (not really an attachment). I can't think of any other reason she would have acted like that. I am in the process of finding some CA hinges and will re-hinge the rudder with them.

This was somewhat of a disappointment since I have enjoyed very much my ParkZone Typhoon, PZ Vapor and HZ Super Cub. It seems that the quality on the Radian could be a little lacking. Have any of you had this kind of experience with the Radian? At least I get another chance with her.

BTW, I was flying with reduced control rates for her maiden.

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:14 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,117 Posts
Did you check the CG before and after you reinforced the tail? Sounds like your CG might be way aft....
Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:33 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,870 Posts
Sounds like a rearward CG and a full throttle launch...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
Kansas
Joined Jun 2006
146 Posts
I agree with Gary. I just had a friend purchase a Radian and I told him to toss it, then put in about 1/2 throttle. He called back and said he had success with that technique. He was VERY impressed with the full throttle climb, seeing like most have learned that it goes straight up and still requires down elevator to hold the climb vertical. Check your firewall! After a radio failure induced crash, I patched mine up. All seemed well until it threw a blade in flight. After landing I could see the polystyrene nose (unglue-able) had cracked clear around the mounting bolts and had pulled forward allowing the prop to strike the fuse.
smitty14 is offline Find More Posts by smitty14
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:43 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,870 Posts
Smitty,
One of the best things about Horizon and Parkzone is the availability of parts. Order what you need and you can get back in the air
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:20 PM
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty14
... After landing I could see the polystyrene nose (unglue-able) had cracked clear around the mounting bolts and had pulled forward allowing the prop to strike the fuse.
You mean like this?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:41 AM
Squish!!! Splat!!!
Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Joined Oct 2007
626 Posts
Thanks for the hints and advice.

I am not a newbie to this sport. The CG was about 1/4" in front of what is suggested in the manual which it should have been for the maiden, and I never launch at full throttle. I expected the Radian to climb somewhat vertically into the 5mph wind but I didn't anticipate that it's attitude would be vertical and then over into inverted despite my attempt to correct. Then the irrational flight was pretty exciting...which I am assuming is due to the flimsy rudder attachment (nothing more than a heat crease in the vertical stabilizer/rudder).

My two questions were: 1) Had anyone else experienced the rudder tearing away from the vertical stabilizer? and 2) Is the built-in quality sufficient, or are some of you finding that you need to bolster the various weak areas?

Other than the rudder issue there was no damage to the Radian. It landed upright and otherwise intact.

FS
frogstomper is offline Find More Posts by frogstomper
Last edited by frogstomper; Jun 12, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:49 AM
Prescott Valley Az.
Joined Mar 2009
62 Posts
Ordered Radian Yesterday

Ordered a Radian at my LHS yesterday, should be in in a few days. I also ordered some Grauper blades from Hobby Lobby. After reading about so many problems with the original props, I'll be putting the Grauper props on before the first flight. I hear that Park Zone is working the problem, but I'm not going to take any chances.
KenR is offline Find More Posts by KenR
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:01 PM
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomper
...My two questions were: 1) Had anyone else experienced the rudder tearing away from the vertical stabilizer? and 2) Is the built-in quality sufficient, or are some of you finding that you need to bolster the various weak areas?...
1) Nope, never heard of that happening to any Radian before.
2) I have done nothing to mine other than put a rubber band around the canopy (not trusting the magnets).
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:01 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,117 Posts
One other thought

At this risk of being redundant, confirm the following ...

I presume you centered your trim on the radio
inserted the stab
threaded the pushrod onto the fastener
Slid the stab forward and taped in place
confirmed the elevator nuetral
tightened the push rod
confirm up is up down is down ...

Toss

I've seen cases were there was trouble like you described, all three are around the stab position
-centering the trim
-tightenting the pushrod screw
-taping the stab in place

Quote:
Thanks for the hints and advice.

I am not a newbie to this sport. The CG was about 1/4" in front of what is suggested in the manual which it should have been for the maiden, and I never launch at full throttle. I expected the Radian to climb somewhat vertically into the 5mph wind but I didn't anticipate that it's attitude would be vertical and then over into inverted despite my attempt to correct. Then the irrational flight was pretty exciting...which I am assuming is due to the flimsy rudder attachment (nothing more than a heat crease in the vertical stabilizer/rudder).

My two questions were: 1) Had anyone else experienced the rudder tearing away from the vertical stabilizer? and 2) Is the built-in quality sufficient, or are some of you finding that you need to bolster the various weak areas?

Other than the rudder issue there was no damage to the Radian. It landed upright and otherwise intact.

FS
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:42 PM
United States, WV, Calhoun
Joined Nov 2004
509 Posts
Quote:
Hello to everyone:

Zonkers!!!!! I launched her into about a 5mph wind and she took off straight up and over into inverted. Luckily she had rapidly gained some altitude but she was radical and virtually uncontrollable. Twice when I got her over to right-side-up she would wing back over into inverted. The cockpit flew off and the battery hung out down below. I tried to fly her for about 15 seconds, most of that being inverted. Finally I cut the throttle and let her find her way to the ground.

FS

My friend had several flights on his Radian. Then a few days ago when he launched, his Radian did everything you described. He got his down without any damage by cutting the power at just the right time.

He never centered his elevator when he assembled his Radian for flight. Next flight was uneventful.

Todd
skyhawk1 is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk1