Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
419 Posts
Does anyone think a NiMH pack could work in the Radian?

TIA, Jim.
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2009, 01:25 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,063 Posts
Volts and amps is all the motor cares about. It does not care where they come from. I don't know for sure but I think you will need a pack that can handle 20 amps, so keep that in mind.

The only possible issue would be the LVC, low voltage cutoff. I am not sure how the ESC sets the LVC. It may be fixed, automatic or you may have to do something to reset it.

Unlike a Lipo pack, NIMH packs are not seriously damaged if you run them down too low. You should be fine with an 8-10 cell pack if it can handle the amps.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 16, 2009, 01:28 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Monticello
Joined Mar 2007
217 Posts
Radian contest at the LSF Nat's

Hi All,

This to announce that there will be a Radian contest after hours at the LSF Soaring Nat's this year. Details are still being ironed out at this point. I can say that your Radian must have stock motor prop and Battery or same spec as stock. So get your Radian ready for the Nat's!!!!

Thanks,
JD
hhrnd40 is offline Find More Posts by hhrnd40
Old Apr 16, 2009, 01:50 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,063 Posts
Is this a Horizon sponsored contest? Is that why this one design was selected?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 16, 2009, 02:17 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Is there a better prop that doesn't require hub modification avail for the radian?
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:56 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
419 Posts
NiMH Pack in a Radian Weight? Current Draw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Volts and amps is all the motor cares about. It does not care where they come from. I don't know for sure but I think you will need a pack that can handle 20 amps, so keep that in mind.

The only possible issue would be the LVC, low voltage cutoff. I am not sure how the ESC sets the LVC. It may be fixed, automatic or you may have to do something to reset it.

Unlike a Lipo pack, NIMH packs are not seriously damaged if you run them down too low. You should be fine with an 8-10 cell pack if it can handle the amps.
Thanks aeajr:

I new there would be current draw issues, but hadn't figured them out yet. I assume that filling the current draw demands might require a big NiMH cell.

So, can anyone post the weight of the stock battery? Optional battery? How heavy a battery pack do you folks think the Radian can handle?

TIA, Jim.
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:52 PM
Kansas
Joined Jun 2006
146 Posts
I got 100.58g.
smitty14 is offline Find More Posts by smitty14
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:08 PM
Brighton, England
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
All Radians have a bit of a flimsy tale (side to side)which makes the rudder control seem a bit elastic...slightly delayed responce then seems to go to far (only really nit picking here)

So easy to fix though! I just epoxyed a carbon flat strip along the bottom of the tale from servo compartment to end of tale and wow, what a difference :-) so much more responsive :-)

Denham
DENHAMDULAKE is offline Find More Posts by DENHAMDULAKE
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:58 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2002
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENHAMDULAKE
All Radians have a bit of a flimsy tale (side to side)which makes the rudder control seem a bit elastic...slightly delayed responce then seems to go to far (only really nit picking here)

So easy to fix though! I just epoxyed a carbon flat strip along the bottom of the tale from servo compartment to end of tale and wow, what a difference :-) so much more responsive :-)

Denham
I am want to ask How wide and thick

BTW how about a quick pick
Terror Dactyl is offline Find More Posts by Terror Dactyl
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:09 AM
Brighton, England
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Was just what i had lying around, Think its about 8 - 10mm wide and about 0.5 mm thick. Flat is good as it follows the curve of the tail but strengthen the side to side movement allot. Make sure you epoxy the strip all the way as if you leave a bit it will twist and not be so effective. Also the tail is slightly bent because of the joiner in it from new so this is a perfect opertunity to straighten the tail as well

Denham
DENHAMDULAKE is offline Find More Posts by DENHAMDULAKE
Last edited by DENHAMDULAKE; Apr 19, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:33 PM
go plane go!
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2005
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENHAMDULAKE

Denham
Yor telling tails!
jimx5000 is offline Find More Posts by jimx5000
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:38 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Monticello
Joined Mar 2007
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Is this a Horizon sponsored contest? Is that why this one design was selected?
Yes, this is sponsored by Horizon Hobby. See this link under the contests forum - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035105
hhrnd40 is offline Find More Posts by hhrnd40
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:14 AM
can buzzards see thermals...
Boerne (Burn-y), Texas
Joined Jul 2007
104 Posts
"Killing Three Birds with One Stick". That was going to be my post today, but someone (DENHAMDULAKE) beat me to it. I wanted to fix some problems with the Radian, namely 1) the flexy tail, 2) the crooked aft fuselage, and 3) the tendancy to be slightly nose heavy even with the battery shoved aft. So, I cut a notch into the bottom of the rear fuselage from ab out the "joint" back to the tail skid. I inserted a 1/4" square carbon fiber stick and glued it in place.

Man, what a difference! Turns were crisp, control deflection was reduced. The more rearward CG was a nice treat, maybe almost too far aft, but I have plenty of room to move the battery forward if I need to. Thermal response and indication was improved, and I got 11 minutes on the first climb. WOOHOO! Forget taping a penny back here, try this easy modification.

BTW, I just put the notch on one side of the centerline joint, so I didn't have to remove the hard glue. Worked like a charm and provided a straight edge on one side. This mod also allowed me to take out 90% of the rudder trim I had to carry previously due to the crooked fuse.

-d
dhaverlah is offline Find More Posts by dhaverlah
Old May 01, 2009, 07:43 PM
Joined May 2009
16 Posts
Like many folks I noticed my Radian elevator pusharm is out a bit, is this okay or does the horn need to be moved so it lines up perfect/

Thank you,
Chuck

(Newbie)
Delorean is offline Find More Posts by Delorean
Old May 22, 2009, 11:32 AM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorean
Like many folks I noticed my Radian elevator pusharm is out a bit, is this okay or does the horn need to be moved so it lines up perfect/

Thank you,

(Newbie)
Welcome..no they are all like that, some people have moved them over to line up a little better, but as long as your servo arm is moving smoothly and not making any noise I would just leave it where it is. By the way, more info is available to you on this site http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=radian
sylifis is offline Find More Posts by sylifis