Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:49 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,610 Posts
Dan,

Where did your CG end up?
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Last edited by gwh; Jan 18, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:56 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,210 Posts
I put about an oz near that little tail skid thinky. Moved it back about an inch. I like it better, indicates lift much better. Beyond that it was getting a bit twitchy....

Looking to come down to fly a bit with you guys maybe this weekend....
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:13 AM
Franklin, TN
Joined Nov 2008
148 Posts
Wear your rubbers properly, boys

Rubber bands are great cause they can hold the blades folded while transporting or storing
Frede2 is offline Find More Posts by Frede2
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:19 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
Looking to come down to fly a bit with you guys maybe this weekend....

That would be good. Winds looks better on Saturday than Sunday. I told Hilgert that the wind just lets you land shorter. Noon-thirty?
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:36 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh
That would be good. Winds looks better on Saturday than Sunday. I told Hilgert that the wind just lets you land shorter. Noon-thirty?

Sounds like a plan
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1 Posts
Finally crashed

After about 3 months of weekend flying, I finally stalled / nosedived the radian into a concrete parking lot. I was flying in heavy 15mph winds that I wasn't used to. I was really getting the hang of it right before I planted it.
The fuselage broke apart in 2 peices right behind the firewall. Other than that, everything appears to be fine. The brushless motor and the servo's still work great. I did loose a canopy magnet though.
I ordered a new:
PKZ4767 Bare Fuselage: Radian
So I was wondering what exactly comes with the Bare Fuselage. Do the magnets come with it? Do the skid plates, control rod tubes, RX/servo compartment grill come pre-installed?
I'm wondering because I don't see the servo compartment grill listed on online ordering sites, so I assume it comes with the fuselage?
UPDATE:
UPDATE:
Just to answer my own question- The Bare fuse: Item# PKZ4767 came with the skid plates, pushrod tubes, magnets, rudder horn, velcro, Horizontal Stab plastic mount, Servo/RX compartment Grill, and Firewall. All of these componets were glued and installed at the factory.
PullTab is offline Find More Posts by PullTab
Last edited by PullTab; Feb 22, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:36 PM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
Center of Gravity

Kinda curious what others have found about the CG on the Radian. I didn't have a 1300 mAh battery so I used an 1800. Took 1/4 oz on the tail to balance but, when I did a dive test, it still pulled up kinda fast. I suspect it will need more lead and will move the CG further back than the manual states.

Even with the dive test data, I have to admit that it flies great and does indicate lift well. I am very impressed with this "foamy"...

Leon
drone is offline Find More Posts by drone
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:54 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drone
Kinda curious what others have found about the CG on the Radian. I didn't have a 1300 mAh battery so I used an 1800. Took 1/4 oz on the tail to balance but, when I did a dive test, it still pulled up kinda fast. I suspect it will need more lead and will move the CG further back than the manual states.

Even with the dive test data, I have to admit that it flies great and does indicate lift well. I am very impressed with this "foamy"...

Leon
I've got mine about an inch back from out of the box. I fly stock, no real mods other then paint and some linkage stuff.

I have 14 grams of lead in the foam in front of that little tail skid thing. Dive test has me with a very gentle pull up, I have taken to flying it a little faster, as in a fewl clicks of down...
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:54 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1 Posts
This seems like a very good deal! Can someone give me some information (preferably with a photo) about the transmitter in the RTF package?

Thanks in advance
Kind regards,
Mark
rysgc is offline Find More Posts by rysgc
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:30 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,170 Posts
The DX5e is a full-range, single model memory radio. Specs here: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM5500

Nice entry-level 2.4 Ghz setup. Great bargain!

tom
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:40 AM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
I've got mine about an inch back from out of the box. I fly stock, no real mods other then paint and some linkage stuff.

I have 14 grams of lead in the foam in front of that little tail skid thing. Dive test has me with a very gentle pull up, I have taken to flying it a little faster, as in a fewl clicks of down...
I put 7 grams in the tail plus the weight of the epoxy and it had a better dive test. CG is right where they say it should be but I suspect it is still too forward. That is with the 1800 mAh battery. I specked it out on the fourth flight with little effort so IT WILL GO UP...

Also, of note, is that you really don't need the 1800 battery as I have never used over 500 mAh yet. A friend has an extra 1300 battery and I will try that next with the weight still in the tail. That should move the CG back nicely.

Leon
drone is offline Find More Posts by drone
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:16 PM
Joined Apr 2006
59 Posts
I just ordered mine... looking to get back into flying again.

Incredible deal considering it comes with the LiPo Fullspectrum radio and the battery with ESC/Motor and prop.
rcko is offline Find More Posts by rcko
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:14 PM
Joined Apr 2006
59 Posts
Lil bit of googling found my answer regarding the antenna positioning
rcko is offline Find More Posts by rcko
Old Apr 12, 2009, 05:45 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,210 Posts
Silly fun with my Radian

So it's almost NEVER calm here in Big D, today was a rare exception where where the air was pretty still, low clouds at 900 AGL out of DFW. Breeze less then 5mph and variable.

I saw someone did this so I figured why not ... I have this pricey "uber watch" The Garmin 401, I use it for training, has a built in GPS, heart rate monitor, all the bells and whistles.

So I roll over to the field, setup the fields to the watch reads altitude, average speed, and distance travelled. Once complete it al uploads to the PC wirelessly. I used the velcro that holds the speed controller to hold onto the strap, it fit well.

I started the watch, closed the canopy, thought how stupid it would be to drive my very pricey watch to the edge of my vision only to have it fall out, and gave it a toss

The thing did add weight, moved the CG forward a bit, but in general she flew fine. I did 4 flights, first was just to get the feel of things, second one the canopy came off, I was worried the watch came out too, so I circled over the canopy as it came down, and was lucky to find it.

Next launch I took it upto the ceiling, just into the clouds at 900 feet, that got a little nerve wracking as the dang Radian is such a floater, so that was a good time for a speed run.

My objective was look at 2 items, speed and ground track. As always, motor was only for climb. My speed range was not true airspeed of course, but again the winds were very near calm. I did my speed runs N-S and the fastest was 48mph. Looks like my average speed was right around 15 mph. And get this, in the 30 min or so flying session, the model covered over 6 miles.... pretty cool. It was also interesting to see how my site pictuer was aligned with my ground track in relation to the field boundaries and land marks. In this case I wasn't too suprised.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:34 PM
...the wind usually blows
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Pretty cool. I have a Casio altimeter watch that I've been meaning to put in the Radian one of these times to check altitude with. I've put it in other planes to give me a better idea of how high they are.

I always have a rubber band on my hatch just in case. When not flying, I slide it toward the nose and use it to keep the prop blades from flopping around. It's good cheap insurance especially with something expensive in there.
av8r is offline Find More Posts by av8r