HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:35 AM
the flying fool
canal fulton,oh
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
hey guys i posted this on the other radian forum as well .i love my radian and have no complaints but i'm curious if anyone has thought about puting a lighter weight motor in this bird.everyone knows the stock motor is big and heavy. i can't seem to find any info on this motor. i thought originally it was the same motor as in my t-28 and corsair but found they have different part numbers and its listed as a 480b. thoughts, comments and suggestions would be great....this is what the cold nasty ohio weather does to you
crash1414 is offline Find More Posts by crash1414
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:55 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,517 Posts
Why go with a lighter motor? You will just have to add lead to replace the weight to get it to balance.

The Radian is light enough already at 30 ounces on a 2M wing span. There is no need to make it lighter.

There are many 2M pure gliders that are heavier than that.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:54 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash1414
hey guys i posted this on the other radian forum as well .i love my radian and have no complaints but i'm curious if anyone has thought about puting a lighter weight motor in this bird.everyone knows the stock motor is big and heavy. i can't seem to find any info on this motor. i thought originally it was the same motor as in my t-28 and corsair but found they have different part numbers and its listed as a 480b. thoughts, comments and suggestions would be great....this is what the cold nasty ohio weather does to you
I'm not sure why we have different part numbers, but they should be the same motor.

David
Horizon
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:25 PM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
333 Posts
I will defer to Dave, but I was told the reason is that the Radian motor has the shaft protruding from what would normally be the back of the motor for thru-the-firewall mounting whereas the corsair and T28 have the shaft protruding from the front (rotating bell) of the motor for in-front-of the firewall mounting. Electrically the motors appear to be identical in my bench tests. You could, I would bet, simply loosen the setscrews and move the shaft and interchange the motors. Probably easier for PZ to simply have 2 different numbers for the different configurations rather than have the customer moving the shaft. As far as a different motor I would say that at least for me my Radian, T28 and Corsair are among my favorite planes because they have what I believe to be almost perfectly matched power systems. They are all great flyers.

HTH
Gene
GeneR is offline Find More Posts by GeneR
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:11 PM
the flying fool
canal fulton,oh
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
I'm not sure why we have different part numbers, but they should be the same motor.

David
Horizon

thanks david that clears things up alittle
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:18 PM
the flying fool
canal fulton,oh
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR
I will defer to Dave, but I was told the reason is that the Radian motor has the shaft protruding from what would normally be the back of the motor for thru-the-firewall mounting whereas the corsair and T28 have the shaft protruding from the front (rotating bell) of the motor for in-front-of the firewall mounting. Electrically the motors appear to be identical in my bench tests. You could, I would bet, simply loosen the setscrews and move the shaft and interchange the motors. Probably easier for PZ to simply have 2 different numbers for the different configurations rather than have the customer moving the shaft. As far as a different motor I would say that at least for me my Radian, T28 and Corsair are among my favorite planes because they have what I believe to be almost perfectly matched power systems. They are all great flyers.

HTH
Gene

i agree with you gene i have had alot of fun with my t-28 and corsair and now the radian but like anything else after awhile you just like to tweak things to go alittle faster and alittle higher
Old Jan 11, 2009, 08:55 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
What Ed said... tinker away if you like, but the airplane flys quite nicely as it is. I had it out today with a bunch of open class ships. It hung very nicely with the big boys, motor only for launching....
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:16 PM
TN
Joined Nov 2008
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimstr
And could another Radian owner tell me if mid section of the tail boom on their plane has a separate section that was glued into place instead of one long solid piece. I'm curious to know if the hobby store that sold me the plane did some kind of repair to it and that's why the tail boom is so flimsy.
Mine looks like a join in the tailpiece and I am as sure as I can be that it was new in the box. It looked like production to me as it is a totally straight join.
SimAndy is offline Find More Posts by SimAndy
Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:20 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimAndy
Mine looks like a join in the tailpiece and I am as sure as I can be that it was new in the box. It looked like production to me as it is a totally straight join.
That is normal
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:20 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Fellas, tape those canopys on! Lost mine trying to escape a thermal. I was inverted, ended up in a dive and saw a tiny speck eject itself from the rest of the airplane. I knew what it was instantly. No tellin where the thing landed. Luckily I found one online tonight as I think they are pretty much out of stock everywhere. Red Rocket said they were out of stock till April! I guess I'm not the only one poppin off the top.
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:57 AM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapper
Fellas, tape those canopys on! Lost mine trying to escape a thermal. I was inverted, ended up in a dive and saw a tiny speck eject itself from the rest of the airplane. I knew what it was instantly. No tellin where the thing landed. Luckily I found one online tonight as I think they are pretty much out of stock everywhere. Red Rocket said they were out of stock till April! I guess I'm not the only one poppin off the top.

Jeez what's the deal with you and a canopys man
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:06 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,517 Posts
A fubber band works well too.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,664 Posts
Rubber bands too

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:04 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
Jeez what's the deal with you and a canopys man
I guess it's the kind of lift I'm flyin in..

Mike just PMed me that he has a radian now. That makes 4.. Isn't that enough of a "real" contest?
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:18 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Come on out Sat man